1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jihad targets the Pentagon with C4, grenades and model planes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Sep 28, 2011.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The religion of peace strikes again and fails.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ested-in-plot-to-destroy-pentagon-us-capitol/

--------------------------------------------------------
    Massachusetts Man Plotted to Blow Up Pentagon, U.S. Capitol Using Model Plane, Feds Say

Published September 28, 2011

| FoxNews.com
    A 26-year-old Massachusetts man was arrested Wednesday and accused of plotting to blow up the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol using large remote-controlled aircraft laden with explosives, as well as attempting to assist Al Qaeda in attacking U.S. troops overseas.

Rezwan Ferdaus of Ashland, Mass., was arrested Wednesday in Framingham after undercover FBI agents delivered weapons Ferdaus allegedly sought for the alleged plan. The stash included what he thought was 25 pounds of C-4 explosives, as well as three grenades and six fully-automatic AK-47 assault, a press release from the Department of Justice reads.Ferdaus was arrested after he took the the materials and locked them in his storage unit, according to an affadavit that says the storage unit was rented under a false name in June.

The public was never in danger from the explosives, as undercover agents monitored the alleged plot and kept up frequent contact with Ferdaus, the press release read. More than 30 federal, state and local agencies in the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force worked together in the operation, including police departments in Worcester, Ashland and Framingham and the ATF.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...to-destroy-pentagon-us-capitol/#ixzz1ZJ3jPxjW

#1 BetterThanEver, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would like to see the goverment going after whomever inspired this guy, if it was a religous leader they should be charged.

Preaching hatred should be a crime in any country, and hiding behind a veil of religion is no excuse....

DD

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am curious though how much of an actual threat this guy was. This sounds like many of the cases where terror plots have been foiled where the plots were essentially materially funded and even encouraged by the FBI.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wonder if he had any contact with real terrorist or just the fbi.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The r****ded Islamophobe strikes again and fails.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it's ok to preach hate toward Islam

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Did this guy get his toy plane from the hobby store? I got one of those when I was a teenager and those are really hard to fly. I can't imagine someone strapping a bomb onto one of those things. This whole case sounds like hogwash or something he was goaded into by the authorities.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah this is where I am confused. So the FBI was supplying him the materials?

And why is he buying AK-47s if he wants to fly the bomb into Pentagon?? Were those freebie add-ons?

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I prefer someone who is itching to kill a bunch of innocent people to be behind bars. I don't really know the facts in this case, but if this guy took actions which showed intent to use the C4 and AK47s then he got what was coming. Now if all the plans and equipment were perpetrated and encouraged by a FBI agent then its a different story. Your internet and telephone lines are all being tracked, they would know the exact person to sucker into this kind of act.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where stuff like this disturbs me. Consider how many people look at p*rn on the Internet. How would people feel if the police tracked someone who was looking at a lot of p*rn and then decided had an undercover officer befriend him who encouraged him to go a brothel. Further this undercover officer not only encouraged him to go but offered to pay for it. Now when the guy goes to the brothel and pays for the sex he is arrested for soliciting. To me that is about what the FBI is doing in these cases.

There doesn't seem to be much of an outcry about this since these guys are Muslims who are trying to kill Americans but the thing I wonder about is without FBI help and / or goading how likely would these guys have been to do any of this? It almost seems to me the FBI has targeted them for committing thought crimes and then giving them the means to see if they will perpetrate a real crime.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Well said. Worth noting, as others have, that this is not the first time the FBI appears to have foiled a plot they were involved in planning.

Is this fair? I don't know honestly. One part of me agrees with Bosh - another part does not like the "encouragement" provided by the FBI in the hopes of convincing a person to become a "real" threat.

EDIT: More information and analysis on the FBI's methodology from Mother Jones.

#14 rhadamanthus, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are an Islamophobe?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No it is not ok to preach hate against anyone.

DD

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's ok to criticize Islam and to denounce Islamists. That's not "preaching hate".

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The other essential part of this plot was not just model planes and explosives, but the FBI egging him on .

In recent years, they've shown a remarkable capacity for taking random homeless people, drug addicts, and the mentally disturbed and turning them into would-be homegrown terrorists. Al Qaeda should try to hire away some of their folks to run their HR department.

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

yup.

remember the young street kids (most of whom had mental problems) from miami who were supposedly an al-queda cell, but were actually being funded by fbi agents, who bought their video recording equipment and told them which federal buildings to go videotape so they could later use that as evidence against them. they were also charged w/ swearing an oath to al-queda, but the guy they swore the oath to was an undercover agent who had told them to swear the oath to him.

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18936072

The FBI may have supplied the weapons ... but it was organized religion that supplied the hate.

You can't love infinitely if religion puts shackles and limitations on you.

Down with fear mongering. Down with vitriolic rhetoric. Let's join hands in uniting the world and getting rid of uptight religions.