1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jewish Girls Dating Arabs Need Psychologists to Help Them Date Only Jews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Exactly.

Unless somebody has been in that situation (thankfully I have not), I do not think they can honestly say how they would react to their daughter dating a member of the other group.

People tend to take the moral high ground until they find themselves in a bad situation...then all bets are off.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

alls i know is if i had a daughter and i caught her rendezvous'ing with a jazz or mavs fan, the first thing i'd do is call in the national guard to go round her up and drop her off at the nearest counseling clinic :D

3. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

It's a silly policy, don't get me wrong. I'm jewish, of course I'm going to sympathize with Israel as I try to think the best of my own people (and I've been let down on a number of occasions).

This is no drive-by, please search glynch and Israel threads.

4. Refman

glynch has a long and storied history of hating Israel. He appears to be very pro-Palestinian and anti-Israel.

5. Franchise2001

If you want to be technical, this article is more of an attack of orthodox jews than it is Israel.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a rigid tendency on the left to align with and romanticize the underdog. I don't think it is particularly personal towards the Israelis. Listen to KPFT for a couple of hours and you'll hear it expressed over and over again.

7. Refman

If that is the case, that makes it worse, not better.

I think that a lot of people discount, because of the passage of time, the effect of the holocaust on the Jewish people. I cannot even begin to fathom the scars that it must have caused. After that, the state of Israel was formed. Since its inception, the people of Israel have had the Palestinians vowing to push them to the sea. There is the problem that the Palestinians were essentially thrown out of their homes, but that was done by the UN in order to found Israel.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know. Is there one in Palestinian territory?

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't want to discuss deeply, but surely you see that Israel has always been a powerful powerful millitary force, right?

Though I agree that the Palestinians do dig their own graves at times with their big mouths...

But your explanation does not make sense because, since inception, Israel have been assured that they either won't be attacked, or if they are attacked they will be HANDSOMELY armed for battle. Israel's security has not ever been in danger. EVER. It was never and will never be allowed to happen. They accepted the circumstances which come with their "inception", and part of that is that there will be fighting and there will be casualties.

But to beat this horse to death.. SURELY you don't believe that Israel's "insecurity" is warranted considering its strength?

That's like saying you feel bad for megan fox because she's insecure about her looks.

Quite frankly, I have to say boo-hoo.

The only people I have sympathy for is those who went through the holocaust, peace-loving Jews and peace-loving Palestinians assuming their conditions for peace are fair and reasonable.

As for the government of Israel, if they are seriously worried about Palestinians to the point where their insecurities are driving them to irrationality, then they need to be inspected by the UN as soon as possible. There is evidence of them having weapons of mass destruction and if we agree that their governmental behavior is emotionally charged, then there is major cause for concern.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, fundimentally, your thesis is that Egypt, Syria, and Jordan have repeatedly attacked Israel with foreknowledge that they were going to be defeated and were going to end up in a worse situation? And they still attacked Israel anyway?

If we are going to talk about things that don't make sense, that is pretty high up the list.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sort of thing isn't just limited to Israel. It's worldwide. Nearly every country.

I don't think this is a big deal. The bigger problem is that Israel defines itself as a Jewish state and non-Jews will never be full citizens. It reflects the intolerance of many Islamic nations as well.

12. Franchise2001

Not a problem - Israel defines itself as a Jewish state.

Problem - "non-Jews will never be full citizens" as you say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_citizens_of_Israel#Legal_and_political_status

"Israel's Declaration of Independence called for the establishment of a Jewish state with equality of social and political rights, irrespective of religion, race, or sex.[94]
    The rights of citizens are guaranteed by a set of basic laws (Israel does not have a written constitution).[95] Although this set of laws does not explicitly include the term "right to equality", the Israeli Supreme Court has consistently interpreted "Basic Law: Human Dignity and Liberty"[96] and "Basic Law: Freedom of Occupation (1994)"[97] as guaranteeing equal rights for all Israeli citizens.[98]
    The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs states that "Arab Israelis are citizens of Israel with equal rights" and states that "The only legal distinction between Arab and Jewish citizens is not one of rights, but rather of civic duty. Since Israel's establishment, Arab citizens have been exempted from compulsory service in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF)." [99] Druze and Circassians are drafted into the Israeli army, while other Arabs may serve voluntarily; however, only a very small number of Arabs choose to volunteer for the Israeli army.[citation needed]
    Many Arab citizens feel that the state, as well as society at large, not only actively limits them to second-class citizenship, but treats them as enemies, impacting their perception of the de jure versus de facto quality of their citizenship.[100] The joint document The Future Vision of the Palestinian Arabs in Israel, asserts: "Defining the Israeli State as a Jewish State and exploiting democracy in the service of its Jewishness excludes us, and creates tension between us and the nature and essence of the State." The document explains that by definition the "Jewish State" concept is based on ethnically preferential treatment towards Jews enshrined in immigration (the Law of Return) and land policy (the Jewish National Fund), and calls for the establishment of minority rights protections enforced by an independent anti-discrimination commission.[101]
    A 2004 report by Mossawa, an advocacy center for Palestinian-Arab citizens of Israel, states that since the events of October 2000, 16 Arabs had been killed by security forces, bringing the total to 29 victims of "institutional violence" in four years.[102] Ahmed Sa'adi, in his article on The Concept of Protest and its Representation by the Or Commission claims that since 1948 the only protestors to be killed by the police have been Arabs.[103]"

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The UN has nothing to do with building settlements.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The article you cite though points out that while Arab Israelis are guarenteed human rights they do feel they are treated as second-class citizens. In the original article of this thread reinforces that by stating that legally and culturally there is a segregation between the two peoples.

15. Franchise2001

In our Yom Kippur sermon today, the head rabbi preached about ensuring that the 20% arab population in Israel must have the chance to be thriving communities along with the jewish population. This is the largest conservative synagogue in Houston. Just to give y'all in idea about what we are being told by religious leaders.

16. LScolaDominates

Please stop trying to rationalize racism. And definitely stop trying to speak for the Jewish people.

17. Franchise2001

Can you point out in his statement where he was wrong?

18. LScolaDominates

He is wrong for using the Holocaust as a justification for Israel's racist policies and certain Israelis' racist attitudes. That is grossly offensive to me as a Jew, especially on a day when we are called upon to take responsibility for our transgressions.

19. Ari

Ari Member

My GOD I was beginning to think I was alone for a second there! Thanks for injecting a dose of objectivity and accountability to the Jewish point of view. There are a lot more of us out there, but the racist loons seem to be getting much of the attention. I seriously did not think that Jews of all people would be trying to defend these racist attitudes among some of Israel's citizens. Not to mention using the Holocaust to somehow justify these attitudes and reactions, and in the process somehow completely missing the real lesson of the Holocaust, which is that such racist attitudes should NEVER again be tolerated or allowed to fester without being challenged head on.

Oh the horror! :eek:

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That doesnt rationalize meaningless discrimination. And the part I have an issue with is your statement about Palestinians pushing them to the sea. The Palestinians didnt even have a national identity until the PLO showed up. From the moment Israel was formed (and even before then) it was always the Egyptians, Syrians and Jordanians that spoke on behalf of the Palestinians. It was those countries that pushed 2 wars against Israel and had very little to do with the people who actually lived in Palestine. Palestinians werent even at the negotiating tables with Israel until Clinton became president. That's 40 years of complete non-representation by their own people. Even before the state of Israel there was a small but definitely noticeable Jewish population in what is now Israel that no one seemed to care about. Palestine was simply an Arab backwater that received relatively little attention from anyone. And conflict between Jews and Arabs in the region really didnt exist.

It came down to a terribly handled partition plan by the UN and Britain and a few neighboring Arab countries who used the situation as an opportunity to push their own agendas and assert themselves as arbiters for a piece of territory they had no legal claim to because at the time Nasser was pushing for a pan-Arab state and saw Palestine as another opportunity. The politics of the region are so much more complex than people acknowledge and oversimplifying it as you have, does a dis-service to Israelis and Palestinians.