1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jewish Girls Dating Arabs Need Psychologists to Help Them Date Only Jews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Our support of Israel is much more basic than that. We helped (through the UN) found the state of Israel as a homeland for the Jews who faced persecution in Europe. Therefore, it existed to be a Jewish state. All hell broke loose and we feel responsible since we helped start it all.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It isn't true. It is a variation of traditional "blood libel" brought against Jews. In this instance the claim is that the Jews "consuming our children's souls", instead of their flesh.

3. Ari

Ari Member

Look, I am as opposed to the right wing kooks in Israel and elsewhere as much as the next guy, but Israel's essence was meant to be very different from the US. Israel was meant as a state for Jews, not a multicultural melting pot. This is also PRECISELY why an independent Palestinian state is ESSENTIAL to Israel's own survival. Unfortunately, the right wing kooks inside and outside of Israel are purposely impeding the peace process because they believe that no compromise is ever desirable. Right wing kooks from the Palestinian side like Hamas also have that same exact goal, which is to delay a settlement indefinitely until the balance shifts to Palestinian favor, and with each passing day I am starting to realize that they knew what they were doing all along, because I swear the pendulum is starting to swing to the Arab side, and I fear for Israel's future. Alas, Israel is being held hostage by its extremists in the same way the Palestinians are. Israel is in an even tougher position because of the right wing Evangelical kooks here in the US who are hellbent on impeding the peace process at all turns as a condition for their support.

My contention is that Jewish citizens of Israel should be free to do whatever they want to do in their own country. Arabs make up a large portion of Israeli society, so Jewish racism against their fellow Arab citizens should never stand. You can ban Israelis from marrying Palestinians, but how can anyone argue that it is OK to prevent Jewish and Arab Israeli citizens from dating or marrying one another? How would this be any different from preventing interracial relations in the US? I just dont think the forced segregation of the races is the right way to go, not to mention this type of attitude will not allow for peace to ever take place if Jewish and Arab Israelis cannot coexist.

It is not exactly a progressive position, it is shameful that this should ever be up for discussion in this day and age.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's out of line on a couple of levels. Not cool or funny.

5. Refman

I certainly did not mean that post to be out of line or insensitive. If it came across that way, you have my apology.

The fact of the matter is that in the situation with Israel, the Arabs are considered a threat to their safety. The situation being what it is, it is understandable that a parent would not want their daughter dating a member of that community.

6. bucket

bucket Member

And supposing the parents are OK with the relationship, you have no problem with a bunch of guys from down the street dropping in to harass the daughter and her boyfriend? Because, you know, that's more what the article is actually about.

7. Refman

I never said I was OK with the parents forbidding it.

All I clearly indicated is that one could see where the sentiment would come from. That is far from endorsing it as "OK."

So, to answer your question...no. Just because I can see the rationale for something does not make that thing any more OK.

8. CometsWin

Just the whole implied holocaust as a parallel... Germans aren't Nazis, Arabs aren't suicide bombers, and nobody asked the Arabs if they were okay with partitioning that land for a Jewish state.

I don't really think it is understandable for a parent to disallow a daughter from seeing someone of a different culture or race based on politics. People in this country don't stand for that. Anyways, my 2 cents.

9. Refman

I understand.

I do believe that, to the citizens of that region, it is more than politics. There are a good number of people that feel as though their security and existence is constantly threatened. Whether that is true or not is another matter. The perception (correct or incorrect) that this is the case is what drives these actions.

10. bucket

bucket Member

Ok; thanks for providing some clarity that was previously lacking. But, again, my point is that the article wasn't about the wishes of the parents but rather those of a bunch of reactionaries in the community.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You don't think the Palestinians view the Israelis as a threat to their safety? I mean there's no way the 7000 dead Palestinians since 2000 were all Hamas/Terrorists.

If a Palestinian and a Jew can still get together with all the stuff that goes on over there, it should be viewed as a miracle and we shouldn't deem it "understandable" when people want to destroy that.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Don't want to speak for Refman but my guess is he'd be saying the same thing if there were Palestinian efforts to keep their daughters from dating Jews.

I certainly don't condone or approve of what's happening here...but it does remind me of the French Occupation. After it was over, and the Germans were beat back....the French had all sorts of rallies where they punished the women who had been dating the occupying Germans by shaving their heads in public to humiliate them.

It's great that you're resisting this stuff...but that kind of nationalistic, clanish (is that a word??) behavior has been with humanity for a very long time. I hope it goes the way of the dodo...but in no way am I surprised by it.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Uhhh... Wouldn't the solution be to STOP murdering Muslim women rather than allow the same thing to happen with Israel??

lol

Neither Jewish nor Islamic law rules either country. Murder is murder. Marriage is marriage.

On a less serious note, this article is hilarious hahahaha. I LITERALLY spit my coke out.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There isn't an Israel law to murderwomen in Israel for marrying muslim men though.

15. Ari

Ari Member

True, but that need not be the case to enforce those conditions anyways. Most states did not need laws that forbade Black men from dating White women, that racial code was instead easier to enforce through vigilantes and local terrorist groups like the KKK, and the local police force allowed for these things to take place, sometimes even encouraged it. In today's Iraq, militias are going around enforcing their own brand of morality, and the government/police forces are mostly turning a blind eye to it. We used to play that game here in the US too, lest we forget. Vigilantism is a very real thing and it is often far more powerful than any set of laws a government can pass. How is it that Americans on an American message board are missing this parallel? :confused:

It is a dangerous road to take, one that I think Israel needs to address pronto before things get out of hand. It is dangerous not just for the Arab men, but also the Jewish girls that are getting harassed and perhaps even threatened for pursuing those relationships.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But they are treating it like a psychological disorder.

Also while they aren't murdering them they do have a law essentially banning race mixing.

[rquoter]
    In addition, civil marriage is banned in Israel, meaning that in the small number of cases where Jews and Arabs want to wed, they can do so only by leaving the country for a ceremony abroad. The marriage is recognized on the couple's return.
    [/rquoter]

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought this part explains a lot of why there are so many problems between Israelis and Palestinians.

[rquoter]Since the state's founding in 1948, analysts have noted, a series of legal and administrative measures have been taken by Israel to limit the possibilities of close links developing between Jewish and Arab citizens, the latter comprising a fifth of the population.

Largely segregated communities and separate education systems mean that there are few opportunities for young Arabs and Jews to get to know each other. Even in the handful of "mixed cities", Arab residents are usually confined to separate neighborhoods.[/rquoter]

We wonder why these people can't just get along but how can people learn to coexist when there are legal impediments to dealing with each other? In my opinion if Israel really wants peace why not encourage close contacts between Jews and Arabs so they can understand each other better? While Zionism was founded on an ethnic basis it was originally a secular movement. While Arabs would never become Zionist it seems to me if there was closer contact including romantic ones between Jews and Arabs that would be a good way to introduce Arabs to the secular values of Zionism that cross ethnic lines.

As long as Israel is going to adopt essentially an Aparthied policy there is little chance to encourage more understanding between the two sides.

18. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Every time there is an anti-Israel glynch thread I cringe... there is no chance for debate or discussion. Can't fault the man for having strong opinions and convictions, but he's a little too white/black on pretty much everything.

19. CometsWin

It's not an anti-Israel thread as much as it's an anti-hate thread. Do you support policies that effectively segregate people based on race, culture, and/or religion?

Your post is the equivalent to a pre-emptive drive by. Maybe you cringe because you're an Israeli sympathizer and not because you're interested in debating the subject.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't bashing if it is true. Israel has systematically engaged is behavior that has been wrong. They have been abmonished over and over again by the UN. I don't want my tax dollars going to aid the Iranian government, nor do I want it going to aid the Israel.