1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jets interested in Bush?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by stevel, Apr 17, 2006.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya, I was just throwing in Maroney/White for those who feel DD needs help or whatever. Just making a point that there are some pretty good RBs that can be had w/ the #29.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with the strategy. If no offers are great, keep Reggie and see what he has for the NFL. Maybe you got a player between Faulk/Sanders, or maybe you have a part time player who is good and can make some plays for you here and there, but is incredibly overpayed, but at least you can find out. He does have loads of athletic potential, so holding him isn't a bad move.

But if I can get Mario W, DBrick or Vernon Davis plus loads of other compensation (extra 07 1st + multiple other 1st day picks in 06 and 07)--I do it. Personally, I'd look to trade Bush to the 49ers (#6) and fleece them starting with adding one Vernon Davis with their pick (assuming DBirck and Williams are gone, I think a safe assumption). I think Vernon Davis may be the best value/most sure thing impact NFLer of ANY prospect. Then spend most the rest of the 06 and 07 picks on your defense.

BTW I am not changing my tune I think Vince Young has the most upside of any player--I still think this. But I am realistic with the Carr situation (big contract, no trade value, but the Texans still feel he has a good chance to be a good pro QB)-- VY or another QB isn't going to be drafted until the 2nd day if at all by the Texans.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I really like Vernon. Think he's going to be special and one of the best players in the draft. I think equally high of Mario. Not so much on Dbrick.

The only problem with taking Bush first and fielding offers later is that there aren't too many teams at the top that are likely to give up a king's ransom for him. Jets are probably the closest to that.

Saints don't seem to want to move up and should still have Deuce.

Jets have extra picks in a deep draft. May be willing to offer future picks and their team wont be that good next year.

Titans seem content where they are.

Not sure about GB, but it doesn't seem to fit their style to give up a whole lot to move up for a rb.

Niners seem like a good candidate, but they don't have anything to fleece really. They don't have a lot of picks, they don't have much talent on their team, and are unlikely to give up a future 1st because they'll likely suck again next season.

Oakland paid big bucks to Lamont Jordan. Only significant thing they have to offer is next years 1st, but davis might just be crazy enough to do it.

Bills have McGahee and crap everywhere else(cept cb).

and down and down it goes. Really the Jets are the prime trading partner if the texans pick bush. And I would only want to trade there if it were for Mario.

It's funny that none of the teams would give up a ton to move up to get Bush, but would take him in a second if he fell to them. It's a testament as to how good the top of this draft is.

4. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

This is the deal that I make. Some may think its too steep, but if you want the next Gail Sayers/Barry Sanders/etc. then this is the price you pay to make me pass Reggie Bush up.

The coveted #1 pick for:
    #4 (1st round)
    #29 (1st round)
    #35 (2nd round)
    #68 (3rd round)
    2007 1st round pick

If the Texans received this deal, my mock would look like this:
    #4 - Mario Williams - DE - NC State
    #29 - Manny Lawson - OLB - NC State
    #33 - Eric Winston - OT - Miami
    #35 - Leonard Pope - TE - Georgia
    #65 - Ko Simpson - S - South Carolina
    #66 - Brandon Williams - WR - Wisconsin
    #68 - Kai Parham - MLB - Auburn
    #98 - Demetrice Webb - CB - Florida

Doubt it will happen, but we can all wait and see.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ok, that trade I just might be ok with. That's a hell of a lot for the Jets to give up though.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Well, I figured this would come around at some point. I've been saying for several weeks that the Jets are susceptible to going after Bush with a boatload of picks and what not. Now, as we are getting closer to the draft, all this stuff starts coming out of the closet.

I'm telling you. If Vince Young is sitting there at 4 and NY offers a deal like what has been suggested, we'd be foolish not to take the deal and draft Vince. Forget Mario. He'll be great for 12 years or so. Once again, the QB position is much more valuable. Vince will get the cheeze for the next 15 years. He'll control more games single handedly than any other single player, Bush included.

7. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Most of you are so blinded that u forget that we already have a qb. Kubiak will get Carr to be productive. He's a helluva coach who's specialty is quarterbacks. Kubiak also wants his qb to throw to every spot on the field, not just to the TE or a back in the flats; Young is not his type of quarterback.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we already have a running back, too. hell, for that matter we already have every position on the field filled. there's just a bunch of them being fielded by average to below average players.

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That deal would never happen. Two #1's, a 2nd and a 3rd for the 1st overall, get serious. To a team that is basically in rebuilding mode they are not going to give up the first half of their draft this year and their #1 next year.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Not to rehash this, but there is a huge difference between having two running backs and two quarterbacks that are worthy of getting playing time. It's easy to come up with several scenarios in which both Davis and Bush would get touches throughout a game, which includes them being on the field at the same in many situations given Bush's versatility. Unless VY is planning to lineup at receiver, I don't think the Texans are going to try to implement a two QB system.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree.

That's ludicrous.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Actually it would be three #1's. They have two this year, plus next years.

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

So what part of 'Doubt it will happen, but we can all wait and see' didn't you read. I just said that if I were the powers this would be the deal to make me move down.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2413022

Even given what appears to be some uncertainty on the part of the Texans' brass, though, Bush remains the favorite to be the Houston choice. ESPN.com has learned that there was dialogue on Tuesday between the Texans and Bush's agent, Joel Segal, but still no substantive negotiations. There have been no hard contract talks yet, either, with the representatives for North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the other prospect Houston is apparently considering with the first pick.

It's believed that the Texans will commence negotiations later this week with the aim of having the top pick signed before the draft begins. League rules permit the Texans, by virtue of owning the top selection, to begin contract negotiations with one or more candidates for the No. 1 spot.