1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeter just got his 3000th hit.....anyone here care?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by eddiewinslow, Jul 9, 2011.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what great games for both of them.

perhaps they will go into the HOF together?

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Um, what? Babe Ruth? A-Rod? Barry Bonds? Ted Williams? Ty Cobb? Ichiro doesn't really have much of an argument over any of those guys. He is a slap hitter that uses his legs well. It helps to build up your hit totals if you walk less than 50 times per season.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Minka Kelly is still the most impressive hit.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No, Biggio will be in on his first ballot.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Ichiro, if he started his career in America, could realistically be looking at 40000 hits in his career when it's all said and done.

Plus, a hit is way more valuable than a walk, how is that a negative on Ichiro?

7. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Ted Williams is rolling over in his freezer right now. Ichiro is good but not close to the greatest of all time?

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn, that would have been freaking amazing.

:grin:

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Pete Rose actually had over 4000 hits (I assume you meant 4000 and not 40000). So even by that measure he would not be the greatest hitter. Pete Rose is also not the greatest hitter BTW, though he was very good.
    Most of Ichiro's hits are not more valuable than walks. The vast majority are singles with no one on base, which are exactly as valuable as walks (maybe even less valuable, because a walk requires the pitcher to throw at least four pitches). All of that is beside the point though. The reason I pointed out his lack of walks is that the only argument he has for being one of the best hitters is number of hits. He doesn't hit for incredible power and he doesn't get on base at an incredibly high rate. Hitting a bunch of singles is much less valuable than getting on base more and hitting for more power.

Not to take anything away from Ichiro, he is a very good hitter and a great outfielder, but he has no argument for being the best hitter now, let alone of all time.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Moniker, I believe we are liked minded and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Ichiro would've been a greatly admired player in a deadball era, as his game is very much in the spirit of those players. I'm surprised baseball doesn't put his game more on a pedestal. Does guys were built like Ichiro and did not posses the power to hit homeruns, like say a Ruth, McGwire, or Mays.

It's a hard game to judge past in present. Truly, it's changed so much over the years, while I think purist think the past (especially the deadball era) is the greatest part of all. It's the one sport that overly cherishes it's golden age.

I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, but it's harder to be a great hitter now than it was then. The competition is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE, you are playing against players from nearly every continent with the amateur ranks expanding each and every year to the point where most little league organizations are baseball factories, like a production line. There's so many statistics and photographic evidence to be use for or against a player, teams can find tendencies or weakness in player's a little easier. If some player hit .400 in today's baseball, that guy should be a first ballot hall of famer, easily. Honestly, I think the game so competitive and so well-scouted nowadays that it would be difficult to hit. Teams simply have more quality players and scouting tools at their disposal.

I've seen some people argue that an 8 team league is tougher than 14 to 16 team lead, because they are more quality players compacted in an 8 team. True, but never consider the options, like I mentioned above. A bad team, then would be a bad team 20 years later, and maybe even worst in present day. I honestly ask this for every sport what may have players in the past had more so skill wise than present players.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Don't get me wrong though, I do not think he is the best all time though.

Maybe top 10 or 15.

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Not true. Little League participation has been declining for years. Now , only the best of the best play in select ball, and the rest are going to other sports.

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal discussed a sad statistic in youth sports. Little League participation is dwindling. The 11.5 million kids playing Little League make it only the 4th most popular sport lagging behind basketball, soccer, and softball. The number of kids playing Little League across the country has been dropping steadily over the last 16 years. Between 2000 and 2009 the numbers dropped by 24% while soccer and football participation increased and sports like Lacrosse have seen a 50% increase.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Compared to the early 20th century, deadball era of baseball, pre Great Depression.

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I was psyched the game was on here in Calgary.

Nice game Jeter.

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Im shocked that he is the first Yankee to do it.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

The guy that caught the ball gave the ball to Jeter and didn't ask for anything in return?

I hope he is doing pretty good financially. I saw that the Yankees gave him 4 free tickets.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

What an idiot.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jeter should help him out. A couple hundred thousand is nothing to him.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Baseball has been around a LOT longer than NBA. Times change and baseball isnt America's Pastime like it used to be. But there's still more historical significance in reaching milestones in the MLB compared to other sports.

I'm sick of the over-coverage, not going to defend media THAT much. But 3,000 hits HAS been a big deal the past several times even for lesser known players. They were slobbing Cal Ripken's knob PLENTY.

They are also trying to get past the steroid era and trying to promote the ultimate clean player. There's also just MORE MEDIA than in the past, more outlets trying to draw attention.