1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeter injured pretty badly...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Two Sandwiches

Link from ESPN

TORONTO -- Derek Jeter, the heart and soul of the Yankees, was knocked out of New York's opener Monday night with a dislocated left shoulder after a violent collision at third base with Toronto catcher Ken Huckaby.

Jeter was down for more than 10 minutes, writhing in pain and surrounded by worried teammates. He was helped onto a cart by trainers Gene Monahan and Steve Donohue, strapped in place sitting upright and taken off the field -- his head bent, his face dripping with sweat.

The shoulder was popped back in place and Jeter was taken to a hospital for X-rays.

There was no immediate word on how long New York would be without the five-time All-Star, the Yankees' leader during their run of four World Series titles and five AL pennants since 1996.

Jeter was on first base with one out in the third inning when Jason Giambi hit a grounder to pitcher Roy Halladay, who threw to first for the out. With no one covering third base, Jeter didn't stop and aggressively tried for the extra base.

Huckaby ran up the line to field first baseman Carlos Delgado's throw. Jeter dived headfirst into the bag, and Huckaby fell, his shin guard driving into Jeter's shoulder.

Jeter immediately began writhing as Yankees' trainers, teammates and manager Joe Torre gathered around.

Dr. Erin Boynton and Dr. Ron Taylor of the Blue Jays also came out to help Jeter, while Huckaby watched anxiously from the dugout with a towel in his mouth.

Jeter was called out on the play because he fell off the base when he was hurt.

On Sunday, Yankees manager Joe Torre talked about how much healthier Jeter looked this spring and that he seemed "free and easy" at the plate.

It was a difficult spring for Jeter. Owner George Steinbrenner publicly questioned his "focus" in the offseason and said he was worried that off-field activities detracted from on-field performance. Jeter hit a career-low .297 last season with 18 homers and 75 RBI. His batting average has dropped three straight years, from .349 in 1999 to his first sub-.300 average last season.

Jeter has said part of his problems could have been caused by a right shoulder injury that prevented him from doing upper-body work in 2001 and 2002.

Jeter has been very durable in his career, playing through a variety of nagging ailments and has even tried to hide injuries from Torre so he could stay in the lineup.

He has been on the disabled list only three times in his career, never for more than 16 days at a time.

2. Two Sandwiches

CBS Sportsline is reporting a separated shoulder...are these the same things?

3. Heretic

Heretic Member

he's a yankee, it's a shame that someone didn't slide into him with spiked cleats.

4. Two Sandwiches

I'm not a Yankee fan.(Was for the season and a half that David Justice played there...) I figured someone out there is either a Yanks or Jeter fan though.;)

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

You are ****ing stupid! He is a human being before he is a Yankee. Someone should slide a hammer in your premitive ass brain.

6. francis 4 prez

at first they had been saying separated shoulder (which i think is what knocked nevin out for the season) but now all i have heard recently is dislocated shoulder which i'm pretty sure is much better. my roommate has him on his fantasy team and was so pissed. then soriano hit a GS for him and he was less pissed.

7. Two Sandwiches

I thought it was the other way around...I thought the dislocated shoulder was more serious, and I thought that what Nevin has. I'm pretty sure(not positive) a dislocated shoulder was much much worse.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, even if you dislike the Yankees, it is pretty hard to dislike Jeter. I mean, he seems like an all around pretty good guy.

9. Fatty FatBastard

Trade Yao for Jeter while we can still get something.

10. francis 4 prez

this says separated shoulder

in the padres outlook section it says he separated it. of course when i was google searching i also saw something say dislocated but i seemed to get more stuff from separated.

11. francis 4 prez

if it wasn't clear that link is for nevin, not jeter.

12. Nick

Nick Member

Separated shoulder and dislocated shoulder are essentially the same thing.

In Nevin's case, the x-ray/MRI revealed damage to the shoulder that was so bad that he had to get surgery, thus he's out for the year (the shoulder could have healed on its own, but there would have been a high probability of it popping out again...randomly).

Jeter will have an x-ray, and it will reveal how much damage. Even at its minimum damage, a dislocated shoulder can put you out for 3-6 weeks.

I've obviously had this injury (thus, my knowledge), and the recovery goes by pretty quick after the first week.... but of course, I didn't have the job of swinging a bat and lifting regularly to stay in top condition.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I hope Jeter is okay but maybe Yankee fans will see what it is like to go long stretches without your stars like, *ahem*, the Red Sox did a couple of years ago when Garciaparra was out for almost the entire season and Manny and Pedro both missed time.

However, knowing Steinbrenner, he will probably just go out and buy Felipe Lopez or some other young SS to take Jeter's place.:rolleyes:

14. Heretic

Heretic Member

I think you meant to say slam a hammer into my primitive ass brain. Sliding a hammer into my brain would only work if I was laying down on a surface conductive to sliding hammers with a high degree of accuracy.

Baseball isn't a real sport, therefore it's players are not real people. They're overpaid crybabies who spend 98% of their time on the field doing absolutely nothing. So when one of them gets hurt I couldn't possibly give a flying ****. Unlike you or me, they get top notch free medical care everytime they get a splinter or sprain a wrist from jerking off.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I like Jeter, though I think he is way over paid like lots of ball players. His shoulder is dislocated is what I heard, not as bad as seperated, which is what happened to Nevin, who I had already drafted for my fantasy team before it happened:mad:

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I hope Jeter recovers quickly, but the Yankees will be alright without him. Wilson is a competent SS, and one advantage of spending 170 mil is that you can manage without one of you stars. Hey Manny, how'd the Red Sox do against the D-Rays. ;)

17. haven

haven Member

Jeter is overrated. Perhaps the Yankees will now learn this. They lost a slightly-below average defensive SS w/declining power. He, of course, was good overall as an offensive SS.

But compared to many of the other "super short stops" that we have now... Jeter's not that great.

18. Manny Ramirez

Hydra,

It is just one game, but this closer by committee idea is absolutely stupid. I know some of the guys in the sim disagree with me, but you don't use that philosophy when you have so many new faces.

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I have to disagree, Jeter is the heart and soul of the Yankee team. He is an excellent shortstop, and above average hitter, not to mention that he steps it up each post season. Not sure if you get a chance to watch him alot, but the guy is just awesome.

20. Manny Ramirez

Jeter is the 4th best SS in the game after

1) A-Rod
    2) Nomar (no, not the poster but the actual Garciaparra)
    3) Tejada