1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jesse Jackson Likens Cavs Owner to a Slave Owner and Lebron to a Runaway Slave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The same argument could be said about Rush or Sean ratings. You are talking in circles.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Unlike Palin, Jackson marched with Dr. King and has been at the forefront of civil rights for most of his life. Comparing the two is a total joke.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is because being a crazy white person is an acceptable, mainstream part of our society while any black person that advocates a position that varies from that of a docile minority position accepting of the power structure in American society is "dangerous". White people longing for the good ole days, wanting to take their country back, etc. is just popular patriotic rhetoric but minorities pointing out the deep effects of racism throughout modern day society are continually marginalized until they become Jesse Jackson. Minorities are goaded into defending ACORN and NAACP and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton but white people don't have to defend the positions of Savage and Beck and Limbaugh. Hell on this very board there are continued posts about how moderate Muslims need to speak out about extremists but when the Houston DA was caught in a racist scandal I don't remember any white people reassuring us all that this isn't what white people in power really believe. In fact the thread about Rosenthal was hardly a blip in this forum but Jesse Jackson says something and the place melts down. It's the great American double standard.

1 person likes this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

After hearing Jesse Jackson explanation on the subjuct I see where he's coming from. It's not the racial element its the act.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good point.

6. Major

Major Member

But there's evidence of Rush's popularity. There are polls that show that people think of him as a voice in the GOP. We can hear his listeners that call in to his show. We can see a listing of 89,000 names of his Facebook fans. We can see supporters of Palin come to her rallies, or donate to her campaigns.

Where is the evidence of this army of Jesse Jackson followers? Does he have a show that people tune in to? Does he fundraise successful? Do we have any evidence of any sort that he actually drives public opinion of a group of followers?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've lost a lot a lot of respect for JJ. Not that I had a lot to begin with, but I use to think well of him back in the 80's.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree with the first half of your post. I understand the second half of your post.

But just want to point out that Muslims are a religious group and white people are a race.

So when someone says "Muslims should denounce x y and z", they think that it should be done through the common denominator - the alleged common set of values i.e. the Quran. It's a somewhat understandeable because the act which they want denounced is faith-based.

The same can't apply to white people because the only thing they have in common is physical features. So even when white people do something wrong, even if they think they've done it because they're white, the same standard can't apply because the act which should be denounced is faith-based and there is no common faith-based denominator between white people.

I'm not sure if that made sense. It could be that you equate Muslims with Arabs maybe? I'm not sure, but it's a common mistake.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

It's still r****ded to put it the way he did.....

It won't be the last time he says something like this either......

and I'm sure he will have an explanation on that subject to....

10. glynch

So true. Any misstep by a prominent African American is played up over and over by Fox for its white audience to divert them from their relative position wrt to Murdoch and his buds.

11. glynch

This is downright silly if you think that Jackson does not have followers, including in the white progressive community, too. Facebook? Are you kidding me. You are letting your bias at his style that is not the moderate wonkish let you overreact to Jackson.

PS Obama could learn a bit from Jesse Jackson who has a more charismatic leadership stylewith more fire than the phlegmatic Obama. It would do Obama good at a time when many in the country are hurting. Of course Jesse could learn a bit from Obama, too. Oh if we could just blend them.

During his presidential campaigns in which Jesse attracted white working class voters, particularly union workers as he walked their picket lines he generated more excitment than Obama and could relate to them better than the professorial Obama. Obama does not have the emotion to attract them.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Dan Gilbert hates black people.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The guy has been a joke for a while now. It's sad that liberal politicians even allow this guy around them as it makes a joke of their party, and obvious transparency to get black votes.

1 person likes this.
  14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This is true. Your other post was good too.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sarah Palin was a year old when the March(s) on Selma occurred. I don't think you can blame her for not marching w/ Dr. King.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps white people don't have to defend Savage, Beck or Limbaugh but Republicans are goaded into to defending them.

I don't think a crazy prominent white person gets as much of a pass as compared to a crazy black person. The outlandish statements of white people like the one's you name get plenty of coverage too.

With Jesse Jackson I think one reason why he seems to be marginalized now is that his time has largely passed him by but he still seems to be in a struggle to be relevant. The election of Obama was a victory for the ideals that he fought most of his life for yet it wasn't a victory that Jackson played a role in. It also didn't help Jackson that during the election Jackson made comments about "wanting to cut Obama's nuts off" along with feuding with his son over the Obama campaign.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Comparing the 2 is way off. Both are dumb, but one is not a complete douchebag, racist bigot like the other one is.....

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Jackson has a tendency to say things that can be construed as racist. Or, at a minimum, very paranoid.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Poor Jesse. It must really bug the hell out of him that he's no longer in the spotlight, because he never passes up the chance to piggyback onto a story that he has nothing to do with.

20. Major

Major Member

People - you and others - keep repeating this. But I can provide factual evidence of the influence of all the other people mentioned here. All I asked for is factual evidence of Jackson's influence. All anyone keeps saying is "of course he has influence" - but why can't anyone point to any actual examples? If he's as influential as people claim, it shouldn't be difficult to point to these.

What recent issue has he been an opinion leader on? Where has he had influence?

That's true - but that's because he has influence with Republicans and politicians want to take advantage of that influence. That's why people apologize when they offend him - because he can destroy their careers.

Do you see any Dems ever defending Jesse Jackson? No - because no one cares about him.