1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerry West: (Healthy) Rockets are only team that could play w/ Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, May 14, 2009.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

2. cujo

cujo Member

Jerry West giving Rox props. This guy is awesome without being arrogant.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree that we are contenders when healthy, but disagree with the only team thing.

OBviously the Nuggets and Cavs are a threat, and if the Celts had Garnett I think they would have been the favorites seeing as how they might make the ECF without him.

Lakers are just overrated, their bench especially.

4. zman2002

zman2002 Member

Well, I guess he assumed Celts would have no chance against Cavs without KG. Both Nuggets & Cavs are not physical teams and are playing the same styles as Lakers.

5. SugarLandDream8

A fully healthy Rockets team with Yao, Tmac, and Dikembe would destroy the Lakers. Mcgrady can chill on defense while Battier/Artest guards Kobe.

they have no answer for a healthy Yao with Tmac passing the entry pass destroying the weak frontn' defense too. Mcgrady can easily throw the lob pass and I have seen it often in previous seasons. The frontn' defense has only been effective because Mcgrady has been hurt all season and the Rockets' pgs guards are 6 ft or shorter.

Dikembe would spell Yao 15 minutes and grab boards and block shots. He would intimidate the soft Lakers bigs of Gasoft and Bynumn.

Man what could have been

6. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Finally here comes a classy Laker.

7. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Props from the Logo, I love it. One of all time favorite players though

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hollow props, cause he knows like the rest of the world knows we can't stay healthy.

9. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

actually,if Spurs,Jazz stay healthy,they could be a huge threat to lakers as us .

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Jazz? :D

Spurs is slowly becoming a "has-been" and Duncan is going down hill, not to mention they don't have decent players other than the big 3.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Cavs are a completely different style than the Lakers and are probably one of the most physical teams in the NBA.

The nuggets had the oppurtunity of playing the Mavs and Hornets. But we will see next round how they do.

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The logo is correct on both accounts. Lakers are going all the way this year whether anybody likes it or not. They will also point back to the Rockets' series as their wake-up call and what got them going in the playoffs.

Ron Artest is treated extremely unfairly by the refs. He doesn't get fouls called in favor of him, hardly any and1s, and gets bs fouls called on him on D all the time.

Just being a realist.

13. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

I am serious ,if that Turk. is healthy ,he could attract more focus from Gasol and Odom by shooting 3s ,which is way they killed us in last 2 playoffs .

Spurs is getting older ,but big 3 are still enough to win another champion ,when they were beaten by Dallas in 2006 in semifinals ,they had been talking about rebuild .they are terribly disciplined ,plays have been executed proficiently by those guys ,which is why they won 4 hampionship in last nine years .

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

right......and the celtics when healthy??? short memory for jerry west....and that's without a much improved trevor ariza.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Blazers had a good shot of taking them out, already winning in LA. If only game #82 was a win.

16. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I agree, I think healthy, we could have beaten the Lakers. We are the only team with 2 great perimeter defenders for Kobe and a big inside presence in Yao.

In every loss during the season, we were in it until the last couple of minutes.

Celtics-lost to the Lakers both times...once without Bynum in Boston
    Cavaliers - blown out in both games versus the Lakers, even at Quicken Arena without Bynum
    Nuggets - Got blown out in the last game and probably a couple more.

I think we are the best team to fight the Lakers. #2 team is Magic.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Denver impresses me. Good shot they'll play LA in the WCF, it should be a very entertaining series. I expect high scoring games.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmmmmmmm

Interesting.

I guess I will have to yield to Mr. West since he is the professional. I honestly think Denver can beat LA and I honestly think Cleveland WILL beat LA.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can't argue with The Logo. Of course, what he's also saying is that we have no chance. I have to disagree with him on that. We're still playing.

20. chasingu

chasingu Member

I say our team, along with the lakers, is the best in the west. But in the east, as long as they stay healthy, Cavs ,Celtics and Magic all can win a series against Lakers. Especially the Magic, they are 2-0 against the Lakers in the regular season and their style can just subjugate them.