1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerry Eversole Resigns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketMan Tex, Sep 19, 2011.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

http://blog.chron.com/houstonpolitics/2011/09/eversole-resigns-from-office/

Harris County Commissioner Jerry Eversole (above at left) has submitted his resignation, county officials said, effective Oct. 1.

Representatives in Harris County Judge Ed Emmett’s office confirmed Eversole submitted his resignation shortly after 2 p.m. today.

Eversole represents about 1 million constituents in north and northeast Harris County, a post he has held since 1991.

A mistrial was declared in the commissioner’s corruption trial earlier this year. Jury selection is scheduled to begin in the second round of that trial in late October.

The Department of Justice’s four-count indictment alleges that Eversole, 67, took nearly $100,000 in cash and gifts from longtime friend Michael Surface in exchange for steering millions of dollars in county contracts to companies in which Surface had an interest.

Eversole won his sixth term on the court last fall, running unopposed.

In his resignation letter, Eversole wrote:

It has been my absolute pleasure to serve the voters of Harris County since 1991. I am very proud of all we’ve accomplished for the county and its residents in those many years… I have met many remarkable people in my time at Commissioners Court. The opportunity to work with, and to work for, the citizens of Harris County is something I will always treasure.

I put this in D&D because (1) it relates to local politics and (2) his retrial for corruption is coming up in October.

IMHO, he is (was) one of the most corrupt scumbags in City/County politics, and I'm glad he has resigned. Now if they can only indict that other corrupt piece of crap Steve Radack, I'd be one happy Houstonian.

2. jo mama

jo mama Member

i was friends w/ his son back in middle school - they were a nice family. i remember his mom was really cool. but the dad (jerry), although friendly, seemed kind of crooked (maybe he just looked too much like a politican). you would hear stuff about him around humble 20 years ago - there have always been ethical issues following him wrt his political career.

they lived right by humble middle school in a not-so-fancy house and not-so-great area. when i knew him dad was still in local humble politics and i believe was some bank exec. so it seemed weird that they didnt live in a more upper-class neighborhood - they did have a pool though!

3. Qball

Qball Member

Damn, both in the photo look like they've been eating bacon everyday for breakfast for last 50 years.

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Good riddance! This illustrates the problem with our political system. How is it that a person can hold a public office for 20 years and still be representative of the public will?

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

8. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Hey, Clinton didn't even have to resign. I think the precedence has been set.