1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jermaine Taylor will be the odd one out with Dampier coming in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Oct 29, 2010.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Courtney Lee and Kyle Lowry would like you to meet them in a dark alley. Have your insurance card on hand.

2. i3artow i3aller

From SFGATE -

The Warriors almost found their backup point guard Friday. Houston reached an agreement to sign center Erick Dampier and will have to make a move to clear roster space.

The problem: The Rockets are expected to release second-year guard Jermaine Taylor instead of undrafted rookie point guard Ishmael Smith.

The Warriors love Smith, who has a ways to go as a shooter but can run an offense and is lightning quick. Warriors general manager Larry Riley spoke with Houston GM Daryl Morey on Friday night and came away believing that Smith would not be available.

"We all wish they would release him," a Warriors source said.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Smart play on Morey's part. Instead of getting a paltry return for Smith now, he gets teams to start thinking that he REALLY doesn't want to let go of his new gem. Then Smith begins to look like more than just a throw-in when the trade deadline rolls around.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

JT is warming up with the rest of the team tonight. So it's business as usual for at least one more night.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

man, warriors must really not want to put Lin on the floor.

6. Htown's2kFinest

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Does Philly want him?

;)

8. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

The Houston Rockets have a roster move to make after signing free agent center Erick Dampier earlier this week and sources close to the situation say that Jermaine Taylor will likely be the odd man out.

The team must release or trade one of their players as they trim their roster down to fifteen and a move involving Taylor is expected in the coming days. The Rockets were expected to waive Ishmael Smith, but the team wants to hold onto the rookie guard after he had an impressive training camp and preseason.

Houston originally wanted to waive Taylor and have him sign with the organization's NBA Development League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. But after gauging interest around the league, it was clear that another team would have signed the second-year player off of waivers.

Now, the Rockets have reportedly turned their attention to trading Taylor and sources say that thirteen teams have expressed interest in the shooting guard. The Orlando Magic, Washington Wizards and Miami HEAT are among the teams interested in acquiring Taylor, according to a source close to the situation.

The Magic have an open roster spot, but the team would have to pay luxury tax on the guard's $780,871 salary. Taylor is from Tavares, Florida, just outside of Orlando, and spent four seasons at nearby University of Central Florida.

The Wizards originally drafted Taylor thirty-second overall in 2009, but traded his rights to the Rockets in exchange for cash considerations. Washington remains high on the guard but would have to waive a player to make room for him on the roster.

The HEAT also have a full roster but are intrigued by Taylor, according to the source.

Last season, Taylor appeared in thirty-one games for the Rockets, averaging 4.1 points in 9.8 minutes per game. He has one-year remaining on his contract, a $884,293 team option for 2011-12.

Houston's deal with Dampier cannot be made official until a roster spot is opened up so expect a move soon. There are plenty of potential suitors for Taylor and his services will likely go to the highest bidder this week.

9. Htown's2kFinest

He also reports that 13 teams are interested.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

13 teams showed interest... Jeez Taylor is a hot commodity. Be interesting to seee what those teams are offering though. Most likely conditional 2nd rounds I guess

11. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

am i the only one that doesnt want to let jermaine go?? he hasnt had a chance.

12. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I don't want him to leave either especially for ericka.

From-therocketguy (twitter)

13. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Maybe wishful thinking, but I would like to see JT plus a 2nd for a late 1st - even a few years away. If 13 teams are interested, maybe...

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I want to see them use him in a trade for Iguodala. Taylor + Jeffries + Battier and pick(s)or Battier, Hill(really don't want to trade Hill) and Taylor + pick(s).

15. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Erick Dampier & Jermaine Taylor's Status

I know there is already a Dampier thread and probably one about Jermaine Taylor being on his way out. I was just wondering if there has been any news on what we're doing with him as an what offers have come in? Also, When will Damp join the team and start to play in games?

16. Felece

Felece Member

When Taylor gets traded (probably during this week).

This isnt NBA2K11 where you trade a guy instantly and sign another to the team right after.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

If there were news... believe me, it would be posted already.

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Via TheRocketGuy twitter

No news really. Just hope it doesn't happen :p

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Very strange... The Rockets could have done this deal a long time ago if they wanted. It has to be more than just dumping JT. They must have other options either a bigger trade and then sign Dampier or maybe they are looking for a better option than Dampier.

It is taking to long to dump 1 player especially if 13 teams have a interest. Just take the best deal and move on. The fact that Morey hasn't pulled the trigger must mean he is looking at a bigger deal involving JT and another Rocket 4 another asset.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think 13 teams really have interest. Someone is inflating the demand for JT to try to entice teams into actually bidding for him. That's my guess.