1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I have a feeling that "rhythm" guys are just a euphemism for guys who can't shoot with good percentages. I typically associate the phrase with T-Mac, Monta Ellis, Carmelo Anthony, Antoine Walker in his prime...ok maybe I'm being harsh on Carmelo, but still. I can't remember the last rhythm guy Daryl Morey ever picked up. If Lin is truly a rhythm guy and not just a player with absolutely no confidence right now, then he's done for. We all thought he had worked on his shot in the offseason, but turns out all it took for his 3pter to go to pot was being forced to come off the bench. What a shame.

2. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

He will be a 18 pt scorer on a scrub team next year, and will probably fool another gm the year after...

3. Clarinetmonster

Might wanna double check this - for the last 15 games he's shooting 44.75% from 3. He has other issues, the 3 ball is not currently one of them.

4. Clarinetmonster

Bev, for his last 15 games is at 39.36 - so both our PG's are in good shape from 3 heading into the playoffs - hopefully Bev can pick up where he left off.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin's upside is Pablo Prigioni.

1 person likes this.
  6. Clarinetmonster

Also, during that stretch he's averaging 2.3 TOV's (less than his average - while playing more minutes) and 4.47 assists (higher than his average). That's a 1.94 asst to TO ratio - also better than his average. For all the complaining about the dude, he's actually improving.

7. Clarinetmonster

Also, I know people think +/- is a garbage stat but for the last 15 games he is a cumulative 52.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Man some of you are being a bit harsh. Lin slumps pretty easily it seems, but hes not as bad as he has shown this season. Usually he is a lot better. I think his biggest issue is that he is trying to force things. When we say we want Lin to attack, we don't mean for him to drive like a headless chicken into traffic. We want him to proactively call multiple picks and screens. We want him to stop over helping on defense. We want him to stop jumping and throwing the ball blind. If his teammates don't commit, he needs to get in their grills and be like dude I am the leader out hear scrubs!

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He actually made a heads up play today (apart from that he was pure crap though) . Fouling Rubio and putting him on the line right away was good recognition.

I don't think he'll ever fix his jumping up with nowhere to go so he'll probably never have a true spot on this team.

10. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

Beverley ? :) the pb with Lin's 1 assist is that it comes with 5 turnovers and no steal (harden got 5 tos but with 10 assists and 6 steals) , Beverley only turn the ball over once a game, no more

11. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Not on this team. Dude needs to be moved.

12. adobo

adobo Member

I pretty much agree with every thing you said. Lin really needs to know what is the difference between forcing things and playing aggressive with the flow of the game.

There are times (and happens pretty much some periods of every game) where his mind goes off in that space where his not reading the game and instead becomes self conscious (focus on himself and his game).

I really think it's confidence issues with him. If you look back at his performance during the 2nd qtr against the Nuggets, once he started to hit some shots and get some confidence, the rest of his game improved. His dribble penetration had purpose, his handles were solid, his defense was really involved in what the opponents were trying to do.
    His body language was good, he was talking and directing his team mates, he was getting frustrated with defense lapses etc.. basically he was entrenched in the game.

I really wish he can hit some strides on his mental maturity

13. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Minutes played is the best measure of experience.

14. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Racist! DTW I am white. My parents are Slovakia.

15. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Wasn't the whole team crap. They were slugish and ineffective the entire game, Remember, Brewer score over 50. The team let him do that, not one person.

16. RedJinx

RedJinx Member

Clearly Lin is playing consistently.

Consistently below your expectations. What stats is everyone expecting. Seriously, not sure what numbers Lin should have to meet the expectations of rockets fans. I personally expect above 10pts 3 ast 1 TO 36% FG averages.

PGs are not suppose to rack up points. Superb pgs has above 5ast and 15pts. Clearly Lin is not elite or superb or paid or expected to on that level.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You have to produce given minutes, however many or less they may be.

YOu just don't keep giving guys minutes waiting for them to produce which may or may never happer.

This is not a lottery team. This is a team fighting for something big. You either play well in the minutes you're given or you get yanked out.

Lin is fortunate in the Bev has been injured off late or the way he has been playing he would be lucky to see 20 mins a game.

18. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Jeremy Lin's upside? To quote Jay-Z:

"zip, zero, stingy w/ dinero"....

19. opujic

opujic Member

I used to work with a guy who I thought was a complete A-hole. While it was impossible to avoid him 100% of the time, I did try to minimize contact with him. It made the work day a little less unpleasant. Many here seem to have the exact opposite strategy.

20. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Good game.