1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. goyao11

goyao11 Member

By the time Lin hits 28 -30...

Lin's upside is a bigger, less graceful Tony Parker. Great acceleration, deadly attacking the rim, quiet 20/7 with great FG.

Lin's downside is Jarrett Jack. Puts up 20 points once in a blue moon, not a bad backup to have on a playoff team. Can't complain but really nothing to get excited about.

Honestly, unless Lin gets injured badly, he's not going to wash out of the league.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

no team is ever going to give him full reigns of the offense lol

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Can you name me a team that has 2 players that average 20 ppg that dont require the ball in their hands? I sure cant.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. Kevin Durant - Guy is a beast off the ball due to his shooting ability. While he handles the ball a lot, he does not have to.

2. Kevin Martin - Not exactly a top flight player anymore, but still a great off the ball player

There are probably a couple of more, but none immediately come to mind. Like I said, Lin doesn't have a to of options on teams with established players and rosters. His best bet would be a scrub team willing to take a gamble on Lin having "All-Star" potential, meaning basement dweller.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

KD? Ok....

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

How do you think KD meshes with a ball dominant star like Westbrook then? KD is a GREAT off the ball player. It also happens that he is a ball dominant wing as well.

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

FIXED

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I was actually trying to come up with a team that Lin would fit well with. Not positive it works out cap wise, but just in terms of players I think work well with Lins skill set and it also be a team that is in the playoff mix.

Lin
    Korver
    George
    Love
    Asik

That to me is a team that Lin could excel with. That's not to say most point guards couldn't do the same, but I think that type of team there is the right mixture of the right type of players where Lin still gets to initiate the majority of the offense and is a co third offensive option with Korver.

I don't think it's likely this type of team becomes available for Lin to join, but maybe someday he ends up on a team with those types of players.

9. yummyhawtsauce

Nice team you put together!

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

What if the other players would rather have Goran dragic

11. goyao11

goyao11 Member

I would love to see Lin on the Bulls or the Pacers as well. Two teams that struggle offensively, but run discipline sets with great off ball players on the perimeter.

Lin would also be solid on the Pistons, Hornets, and Raptors (if Lowry ever left). Lots of young, rangy, athletic guys to run and catch lobs ala Tyson Chandler.

12. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Haha, and I'm sure if Dragic wanted to team up with those guys, they'd want Chris Paul instead.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The question though still, is how many teams will offer Lin the type of team and coach he needs AND the freedom of handling the ball like a first or second option? That is a lot of stars that need to perfectly align for him. The good teams that could fit well with Lin already have an incumbent PG as do most of the bad ones. It is going to be very difficult to find a team that will give him the same opportunity he had in NYK.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

hes current side is a jarret jack

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

For me, the lineup that will most excel with Lin would be the following and similar types:

- Jeremy Lin
    - Kevin Martin
    - Joe Johnson
    - Dirk Nowitzki
    - Sergio Ibaka

Depending on degree of pipe dream, you can sub out Johnson for Granger or Durant. For PF Love, Aldrige, Bosh, Barnani (spelling?), Gasol will work as well.

16. scottie brooks

Timmy "the russian polar bear" Mozgov.

17. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Yeah, Lin isn't some kind of generational talent that you'd change your team for, so it makes sense that there aren't a ton of teams that would be a match made in heaven for the guy. However, I don't think its unfair to say that he would do a lot better on many teams than he could playing for the Rockets. A few examples:

On the Bulls and Pacers, Lin should be able to be a primary or secondary ballhandler. Barring the return of Rose, he should be their primary ballhandler (Augustin has been playing well though, but its very plausible that Lin could beat him out) with Noah playing the "point center" position when they run less pick n roll heavy sets.

On the Pacers, I would say that Lin could supplant Hill as their secondary ballhandler as George probably initiates a ton of sets (even though he shouldn't as much, because he is playing very inefficiently in his new role). Hill is sort of like Beverley, and ironically, Lin would probably supplant Hill using the same logic why Bev took over the starter role: Pacers already have too much Defense and not enough Offense in their starting lineup.

Pistons are a mess, but have highly talented players. They need a ballhandler who can get the rock to Drummon, Monroe, and Smith for easy dunks. Jennings is not a great penetrator or finisher, making it difficult to create movement in the defense as he chucks all day long.

18. Orange

Orange Member

This guy is straight up trash if ur his fan than your an idiot.

19. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I've been staying out of the Lin stuff all year, but the guy is a 3rd stringer at best on a playoff team.

20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Please not be on the Rockets next year.