1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's Terrific 6-Game Start To The 2013-14 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhiSlamma, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Nice Badlee. So maybe if we bench Bev, he might actually start shooting 20% from the field instead of going 1-10. :grin:

2. MADE

MADE Member

Phi, thanks for the analysis! We need more positive posts rather than posts slamming our rockets...

3. hahachui

hahachui Member

Great Thread
    Please show him some love.

who else is improved apart from LIN?
    i think it is only beverlry or garica

4. hahachui

hahachui Member

even lin is playing great
    if he can't get a long well with harden and howard
    he is the odd man out

5. dxdx

dxdx Member

Yes, due time to call out these hypocrites giving a pass to Bev for his Lakers game performance and to Harden for the no-show D. Curiously, this subset of people aren't just limited to the infamous people who joined post 2000, but also many of the reputable older folk too.

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Bev's D has come down to earth these past few games, though that's probably because of his injury. Also Bev last night shot 1 for 10 from the field. Coming back from injury early is not always the wisest thing, it can re-aggrevate the injury, etc. I wonder if people will still think Bev should start if he D continues to be subpar and he continues to play below his level?

7. coach41

coach41 Member

There are probably way too many reasons to list but let me give it a shot:

There are some that believe that "Asian players" can't play in the NBA. I don't personally like using the race card (I'm Asian myself). But there are still people out there like that. So with that mindset, they can't simply acknowledge that Lin is a good player.

Some people hate Lin due to the rabid fans. I've said this before here. I've followed Lin for years and glad he's in the NBA and doing well. When he signed with the Warriors, I had no idea what to expect. Would just "making the NBA and being a bench warmer" be acceptable? The fact that he has started and done a LOT for a unknown / unheralded player really exceeded my expectations.

The problem is that the fans think Lin is god and everything is "racial" when he is benched / etc. Hey, there are some things that may be unfair. Lin has dealt with crap before and he will continue to deal with it. The problem is some people hit Lin because of the fans.

While some fans are rabid, I hope others understand why we are so high on Lin (very Asian American role models in media, sports or entertainment) out there.

Jeremy Lin just do not fit any mold of NBA player seen before (Asian or otherwise). From an Asian perspective, Lin isn't Yao or any of the other big guys that come through before (Wang, Bateer, Jianlian, etc). If anyone even cares about international basketball, some might even think Chinese / Asian players are primarily three point shooters.

Lin isn't the "great white hope" like Bird or even a foreign guy like Nowitski. Lin is obviously no LeBron / Kobe / Jordan.

I personally find Lin's playing style somewhat unorthodox. He's not a great PG (maybe due to his years at Harvard). Even being Asian myself, I'm surprised that he's not that great of a shooter. Watching Asian players in high school out here in CA, most guys are pretty good shooters. The counter (as we know now) is that Lin has NBA caliber athleticism and probably never needed his outside shot to be great to succeed in high school or college. He needs it now as he has to play athletes who are equal or superior to him.

All this being said, nothing Lin does stands out. Yet at the end of the night, he's stuffed the stat sheet and people are like "what the heck did he do". That may lead to the perception that he is not a "player".

One perception that I need to address is that Asians all love and support Jeremy Lin. There are some friends I know (Asian) who said "He's just doing good in college because he's playing inferior competition". Then when he made the Warriors "Oh he's just a bench guy". I could keep going and going.

Most of these folks don't say much these days. I really don't care what other people think of Lin. It's their opinion but I do ask that people be FAIR. Sometimes folks just don't think logically and that pisses me off.

8. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

The consistency of Lin's plays and his improvement on defense is one of the bright spots in the young season. Hopefully he keeps up whether he starts or comes from the bench.

9. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

sadly he improve towards bench and the better he play the more McSuccess says he fit come off the bench, yet our starting line up get in deep trouble, desperately need a facilitator.

10. SevenMinuteAbs

But you make it seem like he's been this other worldly defender. He really isn't an amazing defender. He gets steals and he's really active and applies a lot of pressure to the opposition, but he's not that great. He's a great bargain.

And I'd like to think this and the post asb stats of Lin are close to what we should expect from jeremy. Hopefully it's just the result of hard work put in during a fully healthy offseason. I'm very happy with his play and hope he can keep up this level.

11. Omron

Omron Member

It's 1 game. Small sample size. Bev will bounce back. He's not a career 10% shooter. Lin has shot plenty of 2 for 9, 3 for 10 games in his career. As for his defense, to me it's pretty obvious he's a great defender. I don't know why this is even debatable. Look at the job he did on Jrue and Westbrook before.

More power to Lin if he can continue to be this efficient. That would go a long way towards dispelling the doubters who think he's a bench player. I'm not talking about fans but NBA scouts and GMs. But history tells us it's highly unlikely to shoot over 50% during the course of a season for a guard so the odds are he's going to come back down to earth.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am so confused that people say Harden is ball dominant. Do people forget that he played alongside an even more ball dominant guard Westbrook in OKC? Harden can play off the ball he just doesn't want to or McHale doesn't want him to. Simple as that.

13. zdrav

zdrav Member

I don't think it's quite that. These people probably worship Yao, especially after watching the likes of Dwight play with such lack of finesse.

Rather, I think it's more accurate to say that they take a certain delight in watching an Asian player (supposedly) fail. It reaffirms all the comforting stereotypes about Asians. Every totem pole needs a low man, and Asians are it in today's society.

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Agreed.

Sounds a bit like the glass ceiling to me.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

I agree with this. I remember during preseason last year prior the Harden trade when Lin was playing poorly people were on his case. With that said I think Bev deserves more time to really get healthy and settle into his starting spot.

16. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

For real??? Unbelievable! Without any chemistry with Dwight yet. How is that possible? With Asik?

17. ipuff

ipuff Member

And the sad thing is that they don't seem to include his p&r in their game plan, rather making him more of scorer as a 6th man.:(

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

He has been very consistent this year, I'm very glad to see that, and I hope he keeps proving the people against him wrong and does well for the Rockets.

By the way nice thread OP, it's nice that you had the facts.

19. nchan

nchan Member

Dwight Howard is the reason Jeremy is playing so well right now. Howard's presence allow Jeremy to play his brand of basketball with confidence.

20. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I'm almost willing to give him that except that 1) Bev played bad D in game 1 before he got hurt 2) Bev looked fine in the Portland game 3) Majority of folks on this board said that Lin should've played through his injury in the playoffs and that his pulled muscle shouldn't even count as an injury and that he was a baby but yet are so quick to give Bev a pass due to his injury.

I think that even if Lin plays at a near All-Star level and Bev continues to struggle, some people will change there tune but remarkably, there will still be a large contingency on Clutchfans who still make excuses to start him. I can already hear it- Beverly may be playing poorly but it doesn't matter bc he does a better job of letting Harden play his game. Beverly didn't do too well but his hustle and energy gave the Rockets a great spark (even though he was getting torched). Beverly would cripple our second unit because he isn't playing too well, thus we should keep him as a starter.