1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's Terrific 6-Game Start To The 2013-14 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhiSlamma, Nov 8, 2013.

1. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Not just about the D, his 3 pt% is now team leading 46% same as Casspi. So why he can be the spot up shooter Harden needs and should be a starter.

2. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

typo error. I mean 'So now he can be the spot up shooter Harden needs'

3. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

No. Your point was well taken. Don't let the outspoken few make you jaded.

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

It's great that it's practically a lock for Lin to get 10+ points a game. I remember the beginning of last season when he'd have these 4pt and 6pt games, and we genuinely wondered if he'd regularly crack double digits.

Now, if he doesn't get at least 15, it seems like a down game.

5. zdrav

zdrav Member

People being inconsistent and hypocritical? That never happens!

6. raskol

Considering how Parsons is doing the same thing, it seems the coaches have instructed them to either drive or shoot a mid range jumper if they do not feel comfortable with the shot. And he was shooting nearly 40% in the last half of last year as well. I would chalk it up to improvement but we shall have to see more games. And yeah I hate it when shooters pass up the open shot. It kills me.

7. raskol

Buddy, he can play better d and shoot better from 3 all year long and Lin will still play in the bench unless we get a coaching change or our record gets even worse. Believe you me.

8. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

It's weird that with Jeremy, people are surprised to see him having such good stats. They have this preconception that he is not a good player when the facts say that he is. If reasonable things like whether he is 100% are brought up, it is dismissed offhand while giving other Rocket players tremendous benefit of doubt. It is a laughable double standard.

One example, some dude on CF recently said that Lin (no matter what stats he puts up) is not really like a legit NBA player because he has air balled a 3 pt shot at times. The guy said that has never happened in the NBA. Just yesterday that happened twice, once by Harden and once by the Lakers. I think also that Monta Ellis against us (while the announcers were calling him one of the pure shooters of the NBA) air balled a 3 against us.

The thing is, air ball 3's happen all the time, maybe once every 2-3 games in the NBA. Yet this dude only notices when Jeremy does it. Now that's the kind of idiocy that we see even on Clutchfans everyday.

9. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

It's selective perception. They'll see what they want to see, what matches their bias and idea of the situation. What doesn't match it, they'll more of less ignore.

10. Bucketfans

Bucketfans Member

This is exactly what I am talking about! The double standard! When it comes to Lin (thus far), his sample size is too small to believe he has improved and that he can play..and when it comes to Bev(his playoff performance), most people here seems to be convinced he has proven himself and hyped him up to the the best defender there is!

Again, Bev is a really good defender but I would really prefer him to come off the bench to give that spark to shut down any momentum the opposing team has.

11. imaginedragons

noticed that he's been taking just 8 shots per game, and a part of this is because he seems to be conscious about getting everyone involved, and also about not making too many mistakes, or else he gets pulled quickly.

eye test wise, i agree with many posters that Lin's turnovers or bad decisions are really cringe worthy most of the time. from watching hoops for many decades, it just seems so ugly when he makes a turnover as opposed to, say, Chris Paul, or even Harden throwing away the ball. i am sure even Mchale feels the same thing, and that's why Lin has a shorter leash when he makes mistakes than most anyone else on the team save for Asik.

but the fact of the matter is, 1 turnover by Lin is exactly equal to 1 turnover by Harden/Howard/Parsons. 1 missed defensive assignment by Lin is the same as 1 missed man by the other guys no matter how bad one looks as compared to the other. it's like a finger roll layup, floater or dunk, all count for 2 points on the scoreboard.

it's great that the OP has laid out all the stats for us to see, i'm sure the Morey and the coaches see these too, but probably in the heat of the game, one ugly turnover and Mchale and many other fans, can't help but cringe and ask for Lin's head as a reaction.

12. Wushang_bj

Wushang_bj Member

Keep it up. Hope to see these stats on a larger sample size.

13. kastuul

kastuul Member

I want Lin to start.

If the Rockets want to turn him into another Mario Chalmars to play with the stars, that not his style, he has better to suck it up and force on his spot up 3, D, stats and efficiency.

It's so sad.

That's the reason the ASSIST number drop this season.

Beverley can't be Chalmers too because he doesn't have the size, skill and experiences.
    His energy can easily wear down as more minutes he plays.

14. linsomnia

linsomnia Member

I think McHale also wants to fit him into the mold of being an aggressive scorer rather than a set-up guy. He may be right or wrong in that, I can see it fitting Lin's personality either way.

15. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

From original post....

Secondly, defense. Even given the team-wide debacle that was the Clippers game, Lin's current Defensive Rating following the Lakers contest is 099.1. Last year, that figure was 104.0.

Here are Lin's Defensive Ratings by game this season:

CHA -- 091.8
    DAL -- 082.3
    UTH -- 091.9
    LAC -- 145.9
    POR -- 088.1
    LAL -- 093.0

The Clippers game, then, is clearly the aberration in those statistics.

To give an idea of how a 099.1 Defensive Rating looks (lower number is better), the best defensive point guard in the league last year, Mike Conley, had a number of 095.1. With the Clippers game tossed out of the stats, Lin's Defensive Rating would be 89.4 or so. And he held Jose Calderon and Jamaal Tinsley scoreless in back-to-back games so far this year.

I just now got a real chance to take this part in, Phi... I knew he'd improved defensively, but this is impressive. Chris Paul is capable of making a LOT of guys have terrible defensive ratings.

And, while shutting down Tinsley isn't something I'd say is hard to do, the ratings he put up while defending Walker, Calderon and Lillard are EXTREMELY impressive.

I think we all know he's not near as good of an on ball defender as Bev, but he's always been as good or better at HELP defense. Now, with his improved one on one D, combined with his ability to get to the rim and get to the line, it's gonna' be fun to watch. Hopefully, he keeps this up.

16. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Much respect to you PhiSlamma. Thanks for posting.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

Good stats. Clearly Lin is playing well offensively, and coming off the bench helps him with getting more opportunities to grab touches and make plays.

But no, let's continue trashing the racist McHale for not starting alongside ball-dominant Harden.

18. strifed169

strifed169 Member

The guy barely has any room to work with and hes averaging some pretty outstanding #s for a PG, very impressive

19. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

LOL, what do you expect from LOH? Were you here last season when someone claimed that they could probably take Lin 1-on-1? The same Jeremy Lin that once made Deron Williams, John Wall, and Metta World Peace look foolish with crossovers and drives.