1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's Terrific 6-Game Start To The 2013-14 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhiSlamma, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Bucketfans

Bucketfans Member

I don't understand why people use sample size to discredit Lin and at the same time NOT using sample size to praise Bev. Almost everyone here was claiming Bev is the starting point guard and is better than Lin after a few games during the playoffs while ignoring the whole first season Lin had...I guess people just don't lin Lin here.

Don't think that I hate Bev, I like Bev and have been praising for his good D. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. cw3k

cw3k Member

He will be traded along with Asik. Both of them are under utilize in here. Asik is not happy. Lin look quite frustrated in the game.

3. Champ06

Champ06 Member

If you mean coming off the bench. I think it is only for 1 game & 10 mins (1st quarter). The answer is still a question mark.

1 person likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would say that most, not all, but most of the start Bev arguments started with fit due to skill sets not really all about stats, especially shooting stats.

Second believing that Lin won't continue to shoot at a pace no player has ever really done over a whole season isn't what I would call discrediting Lin.

5. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Jeremy is in a good position. He is playing well enough to justify his contract. He is playing well enough to get traded, but also well enough to become an indispensable (at least at the moment) part of the team - unless Morey can get a playmaker back in a Lin/Asik kind of deal. So, no matter what he's having to deal with in the team politics arena (coaching, playing time, touches, pressures, team chemistry/agendas, etc.) - Jeremy is doing as well as could be expected given the minutes and role he's playing. It could even improve as the season goes along.

If Harden goes down, who runs the team? Parsons? Hahha... As much as Parsons wants to make himself that indispensable '3rd guy' on the team, he just doesn' t have the skills yet (maybe never); but Parsons is trying very hard to be that guy that can get in the cover shot with H&H, and maybe trying to hard and thinking about it too much.

6. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Lin is playing about 1 min less per game in 2013-14 so far as compared with 2012-13. Here are the numbers:

2012-13 = 32.2 mpg
    2013-14 = 31.3 mpg

Someone mentioned before about assists. My guess is the entire team will be down in assists with Dwight getting more post-up-move touches, as well as Dwight and Asik being fouled a lot on post moves (make them shoot free throws), as well as Hack A Dwight. I think Torocan mentioned this in another post on the board and that seems like a pretty good assessment, IMO.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Last year, I did have some problem when McHale kept on downplaying Lin potential (he's not going to be Linsanity). I wanted that pressure on Lin to perform. But as it became apparent early last season, Lin was struggling. McHale was right. What he saw in practice probably tell him Lin isn't even close to that type of player he was in NY.

I take the statement this year in a completely different way. I think McHale is saying Lin is comfortable. He's know his strengths and weaknesses. He is not scare to play to his strength or his style. He is confident. And it has shown. Lin is more aggressive, not backing down and is less passive. He make a mistake, he keep balling as he should. When he got pulled out of the lineup after the 2 FT miss on the hard foul in the Lakers game, he actually was showing dissatisfaction to the coach for pulling him (you never saw that from Lin last year). So yea, Lin is more comfortable and more confident this year.

1 person likes this.
  8. yummyhawtsauce

You do realize that Lin played well both as a starter and off the bench so far in the 6 games right...?

1 person likes this.
  9. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Those are the numbers that he put mostly as starter. I don't think his number will change much whether he starts or not simply based on the fact JH and DH are #1 or #2 option. But whether he starts or not will benefit the team short term or long term is still debatable. So the jury is still out. So we'll see.

1 person likes this.
  10. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

If fit is the only argument, then we'd argue that Lebron and Wade are too similar and don't fit. But Heat won btb.

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Just by watching him play, you can see a vast improvement compared to last year. He has quietly been putting up great numbers and it just looks like he has a confidence about him that he did not have last year, in general. He looks more focused and able to withstand when things aren't going his way. Last year if Lin was having the turnover bug or his was shooting off, he almost took himself out of the game by becoming timid. This year, if he is having those problems, he then tries to affect the game someplace else and becomes more aggressive.

He and probably Omer have been our most consistent players so far in terms of what's expected of them and what they have turned in on a nightly basics. This is a huge step for Jeremy because it's shows he is getting the game and maturing as a player.

The stats provided are eye opening! A 19 PER is amazing for a guy not receiving first, second, or even the third amounts of touches. And his defense has been a definite plus for us and it shows in his defensive ratings.

Lin has been a bright spot this year and I'm really so happy for him and for him to be a Rocket!

1 person likes this.
  12. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Agreed! Good stats post!

The sample size argument is complete BS.

As you correctly pointed out, Lin has been balling since the ASB, through the pre-season and into the start of this season. Thats a sample size of roughly 55 games. That's large enough to tell you Lin is an above average PG with the work ethic to improve and possibly become a very good PG.

Why was he benched again?

1 person likes this.
  13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Wow, nobody saw the wink! :cool:

14. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Right on!

15. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Thanks for this post! I love watching Lin play this year, always in the attack mode whenever he enters the game.

16. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Beverley has an even smaller sample size and a lot of ppl, including Clutch, convinced he should be starting over Lin. Oh, what the hell.

Last night's game revealed something really interesting. After Lin took a hard foul and stayed down for nearly 30 secs, not even one Rocket player came to help him get up. Harden, Parsons all just stand nearby and pretended not seeing it. Disgusting.

I think Lin's day in Rox won't last very long. But I am pretty happy how he is progressing so far. He just need to continue working on his turnover issue.

17. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Big trees always starts out "small sample size."

18. hltiki

hltiki Member

haha, would rep if could

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I may get flamed for this one, but I would almost prefer Lin being our primary ball handler.

James Harden is a great set shooter, and can create off of Jeremy's penetration.

20. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Stats supporting what one sees equals concurrent validation.