1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's shooting coach on what Lin needs to work on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raskol, Apr 17, 2013.

1. kholdphlames

kholdphlames Member

2. AVoiceInACrowd

Actually he wasn't "amazing" in the WCF although he played solidly. In 3 of the 4 Thunder wins, he was the 3rd leading scorer for the team and in the 4th win he was the 4th leading scorer. He had one great game shooting 10-13 for 30 points in a loss, but even then he wasn't the leading scorer. Durant was the main reason they made the Finals, he was the leading scorer in every game and he played amazingly in the WCF.

3. Fighton

Fighton Member

if you need harden to score 46 to beat thunder, you're in big, big trouble. and since you're using that game as an example - if you watch that game, it was very apparent that the offense actually ran through jlin in that game, unlike the first OKC game where harden went into hero mode all game and we got blown out. harden, in the winning OKC game, was very quick with his decisions, very willing to pass the ball when nothing is there, and took what they were willing to give him, for most of the game. that's when he is most dangerous and efficient - coming off of a screen, getting the ball, and make quick decisions as to drive, shoot, or pass, without giving any time for the defense to react and set up. in the Q4 of that game, both he and lin took turns running the offense and had OKC on their heels.

we've seen numerous times this year where lin or someone else would have a big Q3 and Q4, only for the ball to end up in harden's hands with him trying to win it by himself at the end, with us usually losing. he needs to touch the ball, no doubt. doesn't mean he needs to "carry" the team to a win. this team has way too many offensive weapons - harden just needs to trust them and use them.

4. Fighton

Fighton Member

very well said; be careful though... you'd be labeled LOF and Harden hater if your join date were somewhere in the vicinity of 2012.

but all kidding aside, i agree with you, and i don't think it's in his game to go Tmac and put everything on himself. I just think he's doing that now because it's his first season as a so called "superstar" and franchise player, and in HIS mind, that's how he's gotta play when the game is close and they need a win. i chalked it up to new role, new teammates, and not fully trusting that he has very capable teammates that can win the game for him as well. and all this talk from morey about wanting another superstar because the only one on this team is harden doesn't help either.

and it's really not so much the iso'ing, but the unwillingness to trust his teammates to help him win the game. in the OKC game where we blew them out, the offense went through him as well but the ball moved so well that everyone, and especially harden, had a great game and most importantly, did it efficiently.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's aside from the point though. I agree with what you're saying, but the dude said that Harden never shows up for big games, which is simply untrue.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Beverly: Continue to develop shooting. Needs to work on passing skills.

Lin: 3 pointer, floater, handles in the lane

Harden: Defense

Parsons: Post up game, Handles in the lane

Smith: mid-range shot.

DMo: Weight and corner 3.

TRob: 2nd post move and mid-range shot.

Jones: Finishing off the drive, and speeding up his jumper.

Asik: Hands. Hands. Hands. Post up moves. Hands. Passing out of the post. Hands.

7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I agree with this. Harden has been most efficient and had his biggest games when he gives the ball for Lin to handle. So I don't understand why the coach still let Harden handles the ball so much. If anything was proven this year is that Harden has monster games when JLin handles the ball. Infact most players have monster games when JLin handles the ball; Asik and Smith career highs, TJones career highs etc..

So my concern now is if Morey have the stats to let the coach see this so that we are playoff ready.

8. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

I don't understand why the two-footed dunk is important or taking off with the right leg.

The only time you'd use a two-footed dunk is when you have the ball by the rim (e.g., off an offensive rebound) -- this is an Asik move.

Second, right-handed people take off with their left leg for layups and vice versa for left-handed people. Why learn to take off with your right leg unless you're specifically focusing on finishing with you left hand?

9. Fighton

Fighton Member

asik should just park himself in front of a tennis ball machine and catch balls all summer long.

10. Mr Chuck Norris

Maybe he want Jeremy to learn to finsih with his left hand??????

11. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I was calling for this guy's head in the beginning of the season when it seemed like Jeremy's shot was completely broken (and he claimed Jeremy's jumper was never better), but it seems like he really knows his stuff. I'm glad he's working with Lin in the summer. Too often we see athletes spend a whole offseason just working out or working on their shot for the sake of it and not really knowing what the specific problem is.

12. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Wow thank you for sharing, this is sick lol. Even helps me out as someone who isn't good at basketball :p

13. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Keep in mind that Lin's knee was fked up and couldn't practice full potential. But yeah, pretty exciting that Lin can improve!

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

something is telling me that JLin is going to have a remarkable postseason....i dont know what it is...but for him its all about the moment...and he surprisingly isnt the most gifted, the most talented...but he loves the role of being the villian and the winner...watched him in a lot of big games...JLin will be a big reason why the Rockets will do well this postseason...may not make it out of the first round...but Lin, i feel, will play some of his best ball...

GO Rockets..

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Yeah, I love that about Chandler, and his super exaggerated shot fakes into a 15 footer is money too. Boy plays the game right.

16. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Good post.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

First of all, he was shooting 49% from the field and 61% from 3. He was the second leading scorer on that team despite having taken 38 less shot than the supposed second best player Westbrook.

Coming off the bench he was averaging 19/6/4 despite playing a mere 32 minutes per game.

Your 6th man putting up these numbers at a terrifying efficiency and you think that's not amazing?

You can criticize the performance of a 22 year old James Harden in the finals all you want but even Spurs fans will laugh in your face if you tell them Harden was nothing more than "solid" in that series.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't know...i thought Lin's floater is always high...why is he always releasing it so high when he is THAT close to the basket. Why not just float the ball directly at the basket like Tony Parker did instead of doing a HIGH HIGH arc floating. I always thought that was unnecessary. As a coach, pls tell him to do that...don't do any high arcing floater unless there is someone that is good at blocking shots.

19. hltiki

hltiki Member

If he is able to do that, then I will have no doubt he would test positive for steroids, HGH, PEDs, and other sorts of testosterone enhancements.

I'm really no expert on these things, and I hope someone here who is can enlighten me some more on it, but according to people like Victor Conte, all athletes who come back after the off season, whether football, baseball, MMA, basketball, etc., and basically starts to physically dominate other players in a way they never used to, has indeed used steroids during that training camp. I should say that Conte worked primarily with the MLB and that he is absolutely despised by Dana White of the UFC.

But that is not to say the hard work is not there, if anything, it is just the contrary as steroid use speeds up the rate in which muscle cells repair, thus allowing the athlete to train longer and harder with less rest period. But again, not too sure and hope for some insight on this.
    So, JLin, START ROIDIN UP!

20. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Ask Steve Nash.

Too many times, Lin expends all this energy and gets his layups blocked or just dribbles it back out because he has no shot.

Taking off with the right leg throws off the timing of defenders, thereby creating layup opportunities.