1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's shooting coach on what Lin needs to work on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raskol, Apr 17, 2013.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

The quick release part is something I've noticed, and I'm glad they're going to focus on it this summer. Lin only seems willing to take the 3 when he's either wide open or the clock is running down. He needs to improve his confidence and speed up his release to make it work.

To me, what makes Harden very dangerous is that he's very skilled off the ball. There isn't any situation where you can lay off James even the slightest bit. If Jeremy could develop that part of his game, it would benefit everyone.

The floater is a great idea. It would keep him from taking all those shots to the face in the lane, and it would add another dimension to his drives.

2. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

good news. Jlin will def be a beast next year with full training reddy 2 go.

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

I will never understand why people keep pointing only to the Finals- Harden was amazing in the WCF, a stage that comes with it's own pressure. People forget that they wouldn't be in the Finals if it wasn't for Harden.

Heck, I don't mind if ppl keep thinking this though, that faulty perception is a part of the reason why we got him in the first place. If he was great in the Finals, he wouldn't be a Rocket right now.

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

If Lin can master his shot and tighten his handles he will be seriously dangerous. My problem is he's too indecisive w/ the rock at times, but he's definitely improved since earlier in the season. Harden is the star of the Rockets but he just doesn't do the little things to make him elite. Both have work to do

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if rox really thinks lin is the pg of this team, morey should hire this guy. he knows absolutely everything about lin's strength and weakness and has a plan to fix the weakness. he absolutely knows what he is talking.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes but he finals was his biggest stage yet and he failed. Not saying that is his legacy. He is young and can change that easily. He can come out tonight and blow out LA and that will change it. But the last game against Phoenix he looked bad. yeah he was injured but he has to be smart enough to see his shot is off and mix it up a little more. Against Phoenix he looked like TMac when he tried to get it done on his own and failed miserably. This is a team sport and he has to mix it upi and no one he is off and figure out another way he can help the team. MJ had off nights too but he quickly figured out other ways he could help his team win. Harden is Young hopefully he can get that point someday. I hope.

7. Gil

Gil Member

Damn, that gave me a lot of hope. Every complaint I had of Lin was touched on.

8. gengar

gengar Member

Oh my god, you've took the words right outta my mouth. The team relies too much on iso-Harden. More Lin and less Harden would be a perfect balance, but if a 2012'er like me says it, I get crucified as a LOF. I'm so glad someone with your join date has said this on such a hostile site to newcomers liek clutchfans.

9. strifed169

strifed169 Member

Agreed

10. conquistador#11

things to work on:

Asik: work on his hands, more dunks less reverse layups.

Harden: Defensive effort, learning to play without the ball, become less turnover proned

Lin: floater, a gazillion jumpers, learn to pad stats vs. -.5oo teams

Parsons: eurostep.

Demo: gain some size

For our power forwards, playing defense without fouling will come along with some seasoning, once the rookie rep is lifted by the zebras.

1 person likes this.
  11. Omron

Omron Member

Sorry but my BS radar is tingling. Doc Sheppler is not even Lin's skills coach... he is his shooting coach. Lin has a different skills coach that works with him on those other stuff. Also, if you look at how Lin plays since his HS years, he still plays the same way. Not saying you can't improve but a lot of the things Doc says Lin will do more of are not going to happen. Dunk from a 2 foot takeoff or right foot takeoff? Like seriously? I'd like to be proven wrong but I think there's a lot of smoke blowing going on in that interview. It's more like a wish list of what a perfect Jeremy Lin will look like rather than an actual training roadmap.

12. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This. Or let's get him some frequent flyer passes on Southwest from the Bay Area to Houston.

13. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Same reason why people point to Lin's airball in Miami...

14. MystikArkitect

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6_KYulzT4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zDt9XRWwfIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Lol, Lin is unselfish, even with his stats

16. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Lin's coach has a very good understanding of his weaknesses. If Lin could just develop a better catch-and-shoot J, his drives would become even more dangerous. I don't think he needs a floater that badly, as he has a number of mid-range moves, typically involving him using his height advantage to get off a short range jumper from around the free throw line.

The fact that Lin's coach is willing to post this publicly shows that he and Lin have a good relationship. Very positive sign that Jeremy can take criticism and will work hard to keep improving.

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm gonna tell you...it's simple.

The biggest thing Lin can do to improve his game is to quit hesitating so much when he has the ball on the perimeter. Far too many times have I seen him receive the ball with several steps between him and the closest defender, he hesitates long enough for the defender to recover.

To be perfectly fair...Harden does this as well....Parsons is the only one that rarely hesitates upon receiving a pass...he either keeps it moving, drives(or attempts to drive lulz) or shoots quickly.

To be fair part two.....I give Chandler hell for his awkwardness when driving with the ball....but he has actually gotten better over the course of the season. I have faith that he will actually be fairly good at it with some more work and experience.

18. manning

manning Member

It's okay...Even it's just a "wish list" .It's a good thing that he saw something from Lin. They know how to set and achieve goals. :)

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I completely agree. A perimeter player that can't command a double team needs not to hesitate when left open. Making open shots is the whole point of basketball and offensive schemes. When you pass up an open shot, it bogs down the offense. Rafer understood this, but unfortunately, he couldn't shoot a lick.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

I don't think it was a pressure thing. He has a problem with dealing with certain type of defenses, I hate to say it but right now he gets shut down too easily when teams play him a certain type of way. You can see it this season with games against the Nuggets, Grizzlies, Pacers. He will improve though, this is his first season as a starter and he's 23.