1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Lin won't shoot 3pters and it's killing the team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James88, Nov 10, 2013.

1. conquistador#11

if it's there take the three, if not don't take it. it's quite simple.

I thought in the second half of the game last night, there was no pick to take one more defender little further away from the basket. he was basically going into the lane with jordan, blake and paul all there. result, 4 points on his 3 turnovers. It was bad. In the first half, Asik set some nice picks clearing a nice path with only blake to worry about.

we should be 6-1/ oh well. we'll survive.

1 person likes this.
  2. Little General

If the OP wants to make a case about not shooting wide open 3's, I would want to see a video of Lin passing up the wide open 3. I have watched all games so far and I have not seen where Lin has not shot a wide open 3 though, but I might have missed it.

3. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Out of curiosity, if the OP recognizes that there are other, more pressing and far more damaging issues with the team, why do you feel compelled to write this post anyway? At first, I thought this thread was satire, but apparently it's 100% legit.

Why not point out that we don't have a legit PF? Why not rip into Harden for his abysmal defense or inefficient offense thus far in the season? Or show how McHale's obtuse management of player minutes/rotation has put some ridiculous squads on the floor and led to huge, predictable +/- swings during games?

Lin worked on his 3-point game in the off-season, and so far the results show that work was well spent. That being said, he's probably still getting comfortable with the new shot, in addition to his new role with the team. It's going to take time for him to trust his shot more as well as figure out "the perfect play" every time he gets the ball in his hands. These are all normal things in part of the development of a young player.

I don't see why you feel compelled to call this out as deserving its own thread. Lin not shooting a couple of 3-pointers a game is not what is causing this team to lose games, and will not even be in the Top 20 reasons why this team will fall apart, if it ever does. Lin has been one of the only consistent players thus far into the season, and has been far outperforming the expectations placed on him, particularly in light of the minutes/role he has been given on the team. Pointing out a deficiency in his game that he can work on is fine, but yelling about it and following it up with "IS KILLING THE TEAM" is hyperbolic BS and puts so much responsibility on Lin's shoulders that it borders on the absurd.

We aren't even 10 games into the season and people are freaking out and overreacting to everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Of course he should not take low percentage shots anywhere. He is not natural born 3pt shooter but working on it.

The staff must been telling him his weak spots so he will be more selective to take shots. At least until he is more comfortable and train harder. Be patient.

5. boiler

boiler Member

That was last year! I thought everyone says he improved his 3s since AS break, well maybe I was wrong.

6. yummyhawtsauce

Agreed. That's what I have been saying. Why is everyone focusing on Lin? It's as if he plays a lot better they will win games...nope. Lin only played 26 min. The team didn't put up enough points as a whole.

People who should be making their 3s? Garcia, Casspi. Wide open one's missing. Harden iso-ing a ton and forcing 3's. What's his % again? 25% ish? jeez. Lin's 3 pt shooting is least of the team's worries.

7. chandlerbang21

I have cursed out my television countless times already this season because Parsons and lin refuse to take the open shots and instead drive into the paint and turn the ball over

8. Apache

Apache Member

trade jeremy lin

9. Apache

Apache Member

sometimes harden and parson refuse to pass the ball

10. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

He was right not to shoot jumpers yesterday with his right elbow injury. McHale probably told him to on the 4th and you saw what happened. 3/4 went to 3/7. Yeah, Jeremy. Listen to the OP. He knows better than you. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  11. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Dumbest post so far.

1 person likes this.
  12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You are r****ded

1 person likes this.
  13. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Not sure OP said anything about "wide open 3's", regardless he has a point. They shouldn't have to be WIDE open for Lin to take it, he should be more automatic and just toss it in when the defense laxes and there's enough release time to put it up. Instead there were 2 instances where he hesitated and opted to drive and another one or two when he passed instead of shooting it himself. These were all from this Clippers' game alone. Honestly, if you watched the game it was so obvious, shouldn't have to ask for videos.

14. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

On the other hand, I saw many occasions when he was wide open, waved his arms crazy, but was not giving the ball. That's also killing thr team.

15. LoLin

LoLin Member

Indeed. He needs to just take the shot if he's open with no hesitation instead of trying to create something by driving into the paint.

16. uncontestedshot

Blame Harden.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Not all drives and 3s are created equal though.

As for the OP, Lin passing up taking the open 3 was an issue last year, but I've not seen him do so this year. The fact that his TOs are up and his 3PA are down is to be expected with him getting to handle the ball more and play off the ball less.
    Arguing that he shouldn't drive as much and take more 3s instead because he's currently hitting them at a 40% clip doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Context is needed. Lin is hitting 40% on 3s because he's pretty much only shooting when open. Which is good. Open shots are good. Contested shots are not. That's the case for pretty much all players with very few exceptions and I have no reason to believe that Lin suddenly has turned into Ray Allen or Kevin Durant over the summer. He should continue taking open 3s and attack or swing it when not.

#97 HMMMHMM, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  18. quatin

quatin Member

The reason Lin has such a high 3point % is, because he only takes wide open 3s.

The downside of this is since he plays PG, he's not going to get a lot of wide open looks. You won't see Lin take 3s even if his defender is 5 feet away.

19. LoLin

LoLin Member

That's the point though. If his defender is sagging off, he needs to punish them by taking (and hitting) the 3s. Can't pass up on open look.

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

wtf. when he shoots. yall get mad. when he doesnt. yall get mad. what more do you want from him. LOH