1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Jeremy Lin to start tonight against Mavericks according to my sources.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Dec 23, 2013.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope they start him and let him make mistakes.

Trust me, I am on the "start Jeremy Lin" bandwagon. If it was up to me he would play 36 minutes a night. That said, tonight he made me look like a bag of ass. I would trade for Kyle Lowry in a second. (Bev/Lin mixed sort of...)

2. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

With Harden out, Lin controlled most of the tempo tonight.

And he has always been shaky. Errant decisions and shaky ball handling. Chauncey Billups he was not.

3. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Who's complaining about Lin's offense? The critiques are on his defense and TOs (which I can forgive) which are totally warranted. The Rockets obviously don't know how to play help defense so he needs to quit helping off his man and leaving the 3pt shooter wide open. That was a huge Lin problem tonight.

McHale sucks even harder for not adjusting in the 4th when Dirk won the game by switching & shooting over our guards. In that situation no amount of Patrick Beverley could've saved us. the WHOLE team looked lost on D in the second half. McHale has got to go, you don't get a pass for not calling a timeout and making adjustments on D. Outcoached by Carlise again, I'm not even surprised.

Just sucks for Dwight, dude put in a great performance and we should've won if we'd played better defense.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

We'll a lot of people want dragic back, he had a nice run here but I was at all the games down the stretch at the end if the season when we basically were locked to make playoffs and he couldn't deliver Ws when we needed him the most and ended up out. Lowry was nice tho

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Great post... That is exactly what I saw too.

Lin was shaky, but the coaching was horrible, and usually is.

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yeah Dragic was nice, but he is just too expensive. Part of Lowry's appeal is his tiny contract.

7. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I brought up Harden b.c it was relevant. He and an even worse night than Lin did (same number of assist and turnovers with way worse shooting). The point is, nobody questions his decision making. They chalked that game up to him still being injured and getting back into the swing of things. But with Lin, you gotta hold him up to some higher standard or something... like he is different. If anything, you should hold Harden up to a higher standard bc he is the superstar on the team, he makes the most money and he is the only guy who hasn't changed his game to help the team since Dwight got here.

I'm a huge Harden fan and think he's a helluva player. But I compliment him and criticize him. Just like I can criticize Lin for making some horrible passes out there tonight but giving him the benefit of the doubt that it's b/c it's his first game back.

What compliments have you given Lin out of curiosity?

8. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

If Lin's still playing like this a few more games in and getting 5 TO's a game then I'm worried too. But the guys played twice in the last month and even those were played with him not being 100%. He was running all over the place today trying to help. So shouldn't the blame really be on the guys that weren't on their man? Also, shouldn't T Jones/Garcia get most of the blame as they were holding Dirk most of the night? Dirk won the game for them. Not the guards.

9. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Yeah I agree with this. I don't like Lin's over helping on D, but he is not the reason why we lost. Any time a player scores 30+ points on you, more often than not, there's the reason why you lost.

1 person likes this.
  10. bws

bws Member

Yes but Dwight scored 29. Dirk had a big game, great veteran offensive forces like Dirk have big games sometimes. The problem wasn't Dirk scoring those points but how often Lin was on Dirk. That was a problem.

There are team defense issues, poor bench playing issues, and major issues with 3Q defensive/offensive adjustments that keep coming up. And it isn't just because we're down Harden or Lin or Asik or other key players. We could have won last night's game without the 3Q collapse and while Indiana beat us up soundly, it was a 3Q collapse in that game that also took us out of the game.

As for Lin, mixed results, but overall a lot of positives. The mental lapses on defense can be fixed and the assists will come with better team chemistry. I'm not worried about Lin not getting assists in this game or even his turnovers. He had some explosiveness last night, more than I thought he would actually. Now we'll see if he can string some more games together looking to be in good physical shape.

11. quatin

quatin Member

This guy already admitted that he trolls hard on lin to increase his rep. Don't respond to him, put him on the ignore list. When the food is gone, the roaches will leave.

1 person likes this.
  12. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I don't even think some of you see your own hypocrisy. Lin needs to improve, yes. Lets keep in mind that it's technically his third season in the NBA. Not to mention the injuries he and the team have had,

Keep Harden, Howard, Parsons, Lin and Jones together and tweak what needs to be tweaked - that's turnovers and defense. And not just Lin's turnovers and defense, Harden's and Howard's, too.

That said, the team will lose. This board would complain even if the Rox went 82-0 - yes, it would.

1 person likes this.
  13. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

This thread was ridiculous. I couldnt watch the game last night cause I was in flight from NY to LA, but just woke up and watched teh game.

Despite the warning the trolling here was ridiculous (including board legend Dadakota) every little thing Jeremy did wrong was magnified. hes been out for a month, its one game, relax.

This game thread is unbearable. i wouldnt have been on if I could get live video from my flight.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Lin, Lowry, and Dragic pretty much cancel each other out.

15. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

If you go to the last page of pretty much every thread since the season began, it's been one big clustermuck about Jeremy Lin.

16. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

I agree Lin is "overhelping", but why doesn't McHale tell him to stay on his man? Is McHale telling him to help all the time? Jeremy is a smart kid and if McHale told him to do something I don't think he would blatantly not do it.

17. bws

bws Member

I totally agree with keep Harden, Howard, Parson, Lin and Jones together. They can and will gel in time. It's the let's find the missing magic piece mentality that I don't share and think these 5 guys can compete and are good and young. They'll get better not only individually, but as a team if people are just patient. Now, if you just lust after other players, like Love who would have to compromise his game to be a Rocket, then that's a different philosophy than having guys grow together and bond which improves team play.

18. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I've Had This Strange Feeling About Lin..........

Lin has had his moments, but I always get an impression that he is ghastly uncomfortable playing on this team...... I don't know if it's the short leash.... I don't know if he just lost his confidence........

I do believe that what Lin himself would like to do and what the coaches want him to do seem to be two entirely different things.

The red flag once again went up when he saw the early bench in the first quarter against the Mavs..... There was a semblance of the "old" Lin early, with the midrange jumpers, the surprise "dunk", and committing on double teams defensively....... But then, Lin saw an early bench.... For the remainder of the game, Lin attempted only one more midrange shot, and committed about four turnovers on plays where it seemed like his best option was the midrange shot. Defensively, Lin started "committing half way" to the double team, but left himself in "no man's land" where he had no impact on either the penetrator or perimeter shooter. (Since the second half of last season, Lin's defense was never the same as it was prior to that. Lin's steals in particular are WAY down.) I suspect McHale either told Lin to cut out the midrange shooting and gambling on defense, or Lin himself presumed the early bench was for those things. But Lin's aggressive play prior to the initial benching was totally gone afterwards. (And I think it played a major role in the Mavs taking over that game.)

But I've seen this problem come forth for over a season now.... Lin will have decent games, but it seems like he always regresses, and ultimately he appears to be a spectator on the floor. A fish out of the water, if you will.

I've just seen this nagging problem with the team, and while I suspected Lin would never succeed under this system all along, we gave it some time..... But now, I believe it's hurting Lin's trade value..... For the sample size is growing, but his game is not.

Lin has been in a pickle.... And as a fan who usually sees a solution to a problem, I don't see any way out for Lin, outside of a trade in which the Rockets are willing to cut losses.

19. yummyhawtsauce

in the pregame, it said Carlise vs McHale, 10-3 lol. now 11-3. He always ****s him.

20. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

the problem is that the team has a poor perimeter D...helping out too much or not helping is something they need to work on.