1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin to be bought out by Hawks, sign with Toronto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chamillionaire

Worse than that.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's improved his 3 point shooting +17%

He was at 0% (like 0-20) now he's at 17% !

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Who's better MCW or Lin at this point?

4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Looks like he's going to get another chance to keep his minutes and prove himself with yesterday's injury to Lowry. Next few games will be critical for him to earn a significant role in the playoffs and for next season.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

If he plays significant minutes the Raptors season is over. That comes directly from a lot of Raptors fans I talk to

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. mig0s

mig0s Member

he been sucking pretty hard since he joined the Raptors. He scored 20 last night against the Knicks 3rd string lol but should get some confidence back. Lin seems like an emotionally fragile individual. Apparently he makes like 75% of 3 pointers in practice, just like Shaq was making like 70% of FTs.

Gasol has been pretty bad neither, which is surprising. I read somewhere apparently the Raptors don't practice that much lol because their coach believes in load management

7. tinman

Supporting Member

So Lin plays bad under pressure, I think every Rockets fan knew that the hard way.

https://torontosun.com/sports/baske...n-but-lowry-injury-puts-huge-damper-on-things
    WHAT ABOUT LIN

The transition from Atlanta Hawk to Toronto Raptor has not been an especially easy one for Jeremy Lin. Nurse believes it has as much to do with the game opponent’s bring when they face the Raptors compared to what he had been previously accustomed to in Atlanta.

“You guys that are around us all the time, teams play us, right? And I’m not so sure other places you’re getting played as hard,” Nurse said. “Teams are coming after him … He’s gotta get used to that, the physicality, the speed, the intensity of which teams are trying to knock us off, it feels like, geez, every night we’re out there.”

The return of Fred VanVleet will allow Nurse to take a little pressure, if Lin is in fact feeling pressure, off the Raptors’ guard.

“I think it’ll give us a chance to now let him play some more two,” Nurse said of moving Lin to the off-guard position. “I think that’s (point guard) probably the hardest position to come into midseason, because you’re trying to learn a whole now offence and a whole new, just everything, really.”

#327 tinman, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. mig0s

mig0s Member

^a dedicated Tinman with the 'TorontoSun' insider on Lin once again XD

9. King1

Gasol playing poorly isn't that surprising. Take into account how much the game has changed. He was never much of an athlete to begin with but at this point in his career it's non existent. Same with his foot speed. Teams know how to defend him so unless his shot is falling he's useless.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Toronto Sun is their Houston Chronicle

Oh I forgot,
    You HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HOUSTON CHRONICLE IS

11. yoeddy

That makes no sense. If Lin is playing significant minutes, it means that he's playing well. Raptors have enough good players that they can combine and still have a solid line-up if Lin is playing poorly and keep Lin's minutes down. So I would say you are speaking with a lot of Raptor fans who don't know much about basketball.

12. yoeddy

Yep, that's true. Lin has skills that are much more in line with the style of play that the Raptors use. No question Lin's slumping...he's a much better player than how he's been playing since he got to Toronto. The two possible explanations are (1) those who have questioned his mental toughness might be right and the pressure of playing with a top team is getting to him, or (2) he's hitting a wall after having been out for 2 years and fatigue from the season is starting to get to him. In either case, he needs to find a way to get back on track to the level he was playing in Atlanta (at least).

13. King1

Actually, they are season ticket holders there and very knowledgeable not simply biased and only concerned about Jeremy Lin. It depends on the severity of Lowry's injury . He may have to play more and that is what concerns them.

tinman likes this.
  14. King1

I think it's a combination of the two things you mentioned.

15. yoeddy

Being a season ticket holder does not necessarily mean someone is knowledgeable about basketball. And I don't think what I said was influenced at all by my being a Lin fan at all...if a player is getting a lot of minutes, it most likely means he is playing well. If Lin is not playing well, then give VanVleet more minutes on the floor. If Lin is playing well, then he'll play more minutes. The only way Lin gets a lot of minutes while not playing well is if Lowry *and* VanVleet are out with injury or are limited somehow...or if one of them is playing even worse than Lin. This would be true with any backup PG.

16. yoeddy

It's certainly possible.... He's played 12 mediocre or bad games and 1 good game that was mostly garbage time with Toronto. He's got a few more games to show that he's able to be a positive impact player for the team, especially with Lowry out. We'll see...

17. King1

While true, through conversations with people you can tell their level of basketball knowledge. It becomes evident really quickly. For example, I know that you're an intelligent person and I believe everything that you post about yourself and why you're a fan. I also think you're definitely biased towards Lin. You don't like the Rockets anymore (especially Harden) and this is far from good conversation on Lin like you said.

Lin shouldn't be playing at all with his current performance. Not a single minute outside of garbage time. He's literally been one of the worst guards in the NBA since joining Toronto. I think you could cut off Kyle's foot and he would have more value.

I honestly don't dislike Jeremy. I think he's a good dude personally. Just not made to play on a winning team

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't have a dog in this discussion, but I just want to point out that -- while I get what you're trying to say -- that statement is just not remotely true.

If Player X is playing significant minutes, it only means the coach has decided to play Player X significant minutes.

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Interesting how D’Angelo Russell and Trae Young are flourishing after Lin is traded away

20. yoeddy

Yes, that’s true. But in the context of what we were talking about (Raptors heading into the playoffs), the coach is not going to decide to play Lin significant minutes if Lin is not playing well. This is more than remotely true. I get that a coach may play a player for significant minutes in other situations even if the player is playing poorly (eg. playing Trae Young significant minutes even if he’s sucking because the priority in Atlanta is player development)...but no coach in his right mind will do that in a playoff push.