1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin says he's OK with being Rockets' 6th Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 28, 2013.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Anyone pissed at the Rockets right now is not a Rockets fan. Things are better than they've been in years. We should be partying! I am.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

*two former 6th of the year players (McHale and Harden)

How would it look if Lin complained about it playing for/with those guys? He pretty much has to be understanding.

3. Fighton

Fighton Member

not disagreeing with you one bit. but you gotta admit most 6th man would rather start if given the opportunity. being OK with it doesn't mean they wouldn't rather start.

and yeah lin is ok with it (who really knows what he's thinking inside) and most people here are too. i just find it funny that people are making this into some glamorous role like "it really should be an honor for a player to be the designated 6th man."

we have no idea if he'll be a 6th man in the the true sense. he may just end up being a regular backup pg and that's it. it'll be up to his play on the court to determine that. no one is going to hand him the sixth man role that was given to manu and harden. just like everything else in his career so far, he'll have to earn it.

4. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Can't wait till he goes against the elite guards, Rose, CP3, Irving, and Lilliard. A lot I'll be riding on him. Want to see how much energy he has for 82 games!

5. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

No I didn't just say I be riding. I meant to say a lot will be riding on his shoulders.

6. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

I highly doubt Lin will be coming off the bench come post season.

Reasons:
    1. Jeremy is nearly identical if not a bit better than Beverley. Defensively, they are about equal, there are no statistics that clearly shows one is better than the other.
    2. Contract disparity. Mchale is already trying really hard to have Omer start.
    3. Rockets are deep enough that the bench does not need Jeremy. Casspi 6th man? Hell, where are the 6th man for Beverley?

On this team Beverley can play the starting pg role. Mchale is going to have it hard in deciding. But on the other hand, the decision isn't hard at all, if nothing needs fixing and the solution barely does anything, there isn't any point in changing anything.

7. timyeung

timyeung Member

Hope Lin works hard at his new role and wins 6th man of the year!

8. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Let go of the butthurt son. Get it all out. :)

And the mac and cheese was da bomb yo! :grin:

9. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

You do realize lin won't even play in the 4th quarter right?

Lin's not a 'sixth man,' he's just another reserve player right now trying to sniff minutes.

10. bongman

bongman Member

The first person of the bench is technically the 6th man of the team. There is no if's, ends and butts about that. Whether he will be in contention for 6MOY is another story but I have high hopes that he will be part of that conversation if we have a good winning record.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

who says he's gonna be playing a 6th man role? i haven't heard mchale say that, or anyone in the front office. for all we know he could be a mario chalmers coming off the bench.

anyway, i'm not saying this isn't good for the team. never said that. just find it funny that people are assuming he'll be 6th man and glorifying the role.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Every player in the NBA wants to earn a max contract and be the best player on their team, but that doesn't happen. Most NBA players are relegated to role players, and that's what Jeremy Lin would be if he was in the starting lineup. He would be the 3rd/4th option and secondary ball-hander.

The fact that Lin's role (6th man) has an award specifically made suggests that there is a high degree of recognition associated with his role, more so than being a role player as a starter.

Would an NBA player prefer to start and be a spot up shooter? Or come off the bench and have the opportunity to lead a unit himself. Which role is going to give him more recognition?

13. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Member

Ginobili at his peak would have be an all-star regulars had him been a starter. He would have gotten get a maximum contract (or maybe two, see Joe Johnson) from dozen of teams.

He did sacrifice a ton for the Spurs, because of the opportunities of winning championships and also the respect he getting from his coaching stuffs and teammates.

Totally different situation.

So Lin is willing to play from bench, for the team, his replacement is not a better player than he is and his coaching stuffs have no trust in his game. But still he accept his role and doesn't cause a stir. Have any "Rox" fan recognize that? All I hear is "blah, blah, blah". Laughable.

14. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

For those who liked this development, I hope, next time, if a hater comes, you will defend Lin. He deserves a better treatment.

15. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

So this ensures that all the pgs in the league will do terrible against the Rockets because of Bev.

16. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

You want him to pull a Dez Bryant?

It's a demotion but basketball is also 5 guys, 1 ball and Harden/Dwight are at the top of the pecking order. All they need is a Mario Chalmers type PG, and Beverley is it. Lin will dominate leading the second unit, take over a bunch of games, pad his stats against a bunch of scrubs, and justify his $15 mil 3rd year. Then in a couple years get signed as a starting 1 to a team in need of a playmaker.

Kings are going through something similar btw. Isaiah Thomas is a better scorer and athlete than Vasquez but is now coming off the bench because the Kings want a 1 to feed Cousins, which is the one thing Vasquez can do better than Isaiah.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

No way Lin stays on the Rockets after his current contract if he is made a backup IMO.

18. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Why the management or the coach come out and say something straightforward? They should. It will save a lot of anguish.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What is the obsession with Lin's feelings? It got so bad, I believe the obsession with Asik's feelings was just a veiled support for the obsession with Lin's feelings. Lin is making $13000 a day. He is so popular he has dudes, dudes almost crying for him.

Actually I think the non-LOF's are more respectful of Lin by treating him as a normal human, while a bunch of LOF's impose their own narratives on the guy: "He's too nice so the meanies are mean and he's hurting inside. Ouch," "He had to fight every single step of the way: high school star, Harvard, NBA, Volvo. Life is tough when you're like Jeremy!"

Treat Jeremy Lin like a man, dammit. He's a famous millionaire who plays basketball way better than we do, and he is glad he is not you or me.

20. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

You are just flat out delusional. Lin is not a '6th man.' Lin is a reserve player. He won't play very many minutes in the 4th quarter, at least not in tight ball games.

Also, he won't be "leading" the 2nd unit. Harden will be playing nearly 40 mpg and will be ball dominant for all 40 minutes. Even when harden's out, beverley will be the PG and be ball dominant while lin plays off guard.

The bottom line is that lin is neither a starter nor a 6th man. Nor will he "lead the 2nd unit," as either harden or beverley will be ball dominant even when lin is playing.