1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin says he's OK with being Rockets' 6th Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 28, 2013.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

You're going to get flamed now for mentioning Lin and Rose in the same paragraph.;)

2. Vrazz

Vrazz Contributing Member

I swear.... Every thread seems to turns into a Beverly against Lin. If the players are happy with their roles then it really doesn't matter. I'm sure there will be games that Lin starts. We actually have a great situation, but for whatever reason you guys seem to care about who steps foot on the court when its tip off....

Comeon guys... One day and we begin another journey towards the prize. With "on paper" a great team. Lets just be excited about that...

Go Rockets!!

3. Precision340

Precision340 Member

team comes first.. really excited about the Rox's season!!

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

will be interesting to see who's on the court at the end of close games. last season even when lin played well, he was sometimes benched in the 4th, in favor of (gulp) toney douglas

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Against Portland, because TD was supposedly such a great defender. Then, McHale decided to switch on Lillard every single possession, and let PPat get abused by Lillard. In that overtime, Rockets scored twice, with Harden's ISO.

But McHale had a strong feeling that anyone not named Lin is a better fit.

6. zdrav

zdrav Member

Really, some of the best players in NBA history have been sixth men. The only concern now is whether Lin will really be a sixth man or just a bench player. Based on what he's shown in the preseason, it'd be a travesty is he's not played as a sixth man.

7. nono

nono Member

Beverly fouls very aggressively. He'll be in foul trouble in a lot of games. Interesting move nonetheless.

The thing with the backup position is that it's hard to get out of. If you play bad, people will say you are fit for only coming off the bench. If you play good, they start thinking you're an excellent 6th man.

My guess is either way McHale won't be the Rockets' coach next season. Beverly has played really well and has deserved this chance. Up to Lin to show that he deserves to start.

8. rokit

rokit Member

Either both or just Beverley.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thing is, if he's not on the court to end games then it's pretty hard to argue his role as a sixth man in the manu or ricky pierce mold

10. real_egal

Then it's obviously Lin's failure, because the coach and the team has given him the chance to be "Manu" - coming off the bench part:)

11. larenzo

larenzo Member

I think that Lin will average more points and assists in his new role. I projecting somewhere around 15ppg, 8apg.

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Casspi is the team's 6th man. not Lin.

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Hmm I wanna give it at least half a season to see if this Beverley starting thing works out.

What if it doesnt?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wonder what morey thinks about lin's benching. if his desire to trade lin over the summer as reported was true, then he surely can't be thrilled about lin's impending asset depreciation. might be in both the team's and lin's interests to just get a trade done sooner than later

15. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

McHale doesn't care

16. real_egal

I think Lin's signing is Les' call, not really Morey's decision, much less to McHale's taste.

After we got lucky that Harden fell into our laps, I guess they were already regretting signing Lin, especially at that price.

17. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Seriously, this is a load of crap. Why piss on a player on a team you claim to support. Lin bribgs nothing except money, you saying he has no talent?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair, Beverley is a rich man's Douglas. So favoring Beverley is a lot more reasonable than Douglas.

I wonder if there are still people who want to defend the Douglas over Lin move.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you go to every practice and understand what the coaches are trying to do?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey probably thinks that Lin's value can't drop lower than what it was already at this point.

I mean seriously? Coming off the bench doesn't hurt your value.

Irony is that Lin will probably put up bigger numbers now since he will be more of a focal point in the offense when he is on the floor as opposed to a support role only as a starter. In a way, the starting pg position is the softer position vs. back-up point guard. Since back-up pg is more critical to running the offense as there are less other scorers on the team on the floor.

When Lin is in the game, either Parson, Harden, or Howard will probably be on the bench. That will help Lin be anywhere from the primary to tertiary option, whereas as a starter he would be the 4th option. Lin fans should be happy with this development. We may get to see Benchsanity this year.

#660 Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013