1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin, Red Carpet in Austin, TEXAS (UPDATED with pics/video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was religion in Hoop Dreams when the Agees go to church.
    Did you stop watching that movie?

I go into this movie knowing this a movie. I'm looking for a good story.
    I'm not looking for a recap of Jeremy Lin's streak in New York, I'm not looking for a recruiting movie for the church.

In the Olajuwon documentary, he talks about his dedication to Islam. I didn't stop watch that movie either. And that movie had an awesome ending.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Seriously? :eek:

Ok let me make it clear for you, Jeremy Lin has been a disappointment this season as the starting point guard of the Houston Rockets, he has not played up to his contract.

You are welcome.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

how are you going to? you're not going to any film festivals yet, it hasn't had any official release news.

it's for the film festival snobs and media.

I don't like the Knicks, I still watched it. it's a movie.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Film festival down here dont start until June...Im from down under btw.

I doubt they would bring it down here for a screening session anyways.

Would I watch it? why not. I wouldnt like it if there was too much bible thumping.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I'll post my review later, it's not a movie about Tim Tebow.

6. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Really? Everyone says his stats are equivalent to an average point guard. He's not making more than the average NBA starting point guard makes so he has played up to his contract.

Of course if McHale had actually played him as a point guard his stats would be better.

The Rockets got what they paid for and more as Lin has played out of position most of the season without complaint and the team has overacheived.

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Stop teasing and post it already :mad:

8. tinman

Supporting Member

McHale is not in the movie, nor did he show up to the premiere

so move your rants to a thread that involves him.

9. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I'm merely replyint to Akim's rant

10. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

He brought up "Lins disappointing 12-13 season" not me. Very inappropriate of him I might add.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Then tell Yolandas to act like Fonzies

[​IMG]

12. tinman

Supporting Member

don't make it worse. you don't need to defend Lin on every damn thread.

He's not playing for you dude.

He TOLD ME in the video who he's playing for!
    ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. RonJeremy

RonJeremy Member

I did not watch the movies mentioned above. Yes, I would skip them if there are strong religious overtones. I have no problem if Jeremy mentions how his religious belief helps him become who he is. I just don't want to hear his mantra about his religion. From your posts, I got the vibe that the documentary is overly religious. Perhaps I am wrong, and I should wait until you come out with the review.

By the way, I am not adverse to religious movies as long as I know what I am watching. The Ten Commandments is one of my favorite movies. I watched the movie as a story rather than a documentary.

Anyway, I am not criticizing you. If you enjoy the movie, it's all good. I just happen to have a different taste.

14. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

And supposed Rockets "fans" don't have to attack him on every thread. You guys really have to cool it. Talk to Akim not me.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

People can criticize him for his play. I do it.
    But this thread is not about that, it's about criticizing the movie.

You can't tell a 99er what to do. We built his house buddy boy.
    It's built by people like Clutch and Jeff who's purity as Rocket fans was built on holy ground in an arena in Greenway Plaza.

TOFs, LOFs,YOFs, Knicks fans, Bulls fans, all y'all need to know what house you are in.

http://www.clutchfans.net/about.cfm

- simply diehard and loyal Rockets fans giving the honest dish and coming together to form one of the largest sports communities on the web.

[​IMG]

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Honey bunny?

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Everyone? really?

Anyway, this is clutchfans, we criticize players on a daily basis, no one is immune to that. If you think criticism is "attack", so be it.

Btw there's a stats someone posted a few days ago about added Ws comparing to their contract value, Lin was a below average 1.47, which means he has not played up to his contract...yet.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Ignore him dude. And don't mention anything that's not film related please.

Don't make me go Maxwell on you.

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Got ya.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    FILM REVIEW

Topics in the Movie:

Family - you get to see Lin's family, his interactions with them and how they influence him in life
    The Lin family background and how they raised their children was a good story. Karaoke with his family, playing hoops with his brothers.
    You meet the elder Lins in Taiwan on a farm.

Before the NBA - it was good to see how he was when he was kid and how basketball affected his life. His jumper
    looked better when he was a shorter kid. How he played in the AAU and in college was revealing of his talents. The support of his coaches and teammates.

The Struggle - Lin's challenges of racism, stress, pressure, and basketball mistakes. They do show him screw up on court and he
    he had to struggle in the D league and preseason games and earn his way to playing
    the disappointment of the draft, trying to get into colleges in his home state

Racism - they do go into this topic , from the worst in college to the media. Jeremy appears to handle it well.

Regular person - Jeremy goes shopping at target for stuff for his apartment. Jeremy complains about laundry to his mom. Jeremy talks about
    Kobe vs LeBron with his siblings. He not afraid of eating food from street markets in Taiwan

Handling pressure/religion - you see him go through many phases of ups and downs. Of course he credits his support structure of family and religion to get him past his obstacles.
    Of course religion is mentioned and his pastor is in the movie talking about Jeremy.
    God was mentioned in the movie, I don't know how many times, nor did I care. It didn't detract from it.

Work - You see him working and practicing , putting in the time to get better. Doing a bunch of drills, actually pretty interesting to watch.
    Also shows him working with kids in the Lin Academy in California, helping little Lins out.

Travel - You see lots of different locations, Taiwan, Golden state, new york, etc. His brother's tiny apartment in NYC. Lin's place.

Social Media/ Media - they do divulge in how he instantly became famous how today's online/tv media spread the word.

Guest appearances: Daryl Morey! Kevin Durant. Landry Fields and his sofa. Of course everyone's favorite no defense coach Mike D'Antoni.

Observations:

Good cinematography. Nice use of wide angle for the cities, the bay area, Taiwan, new york
    "What would Jesus do?" - yeah that made it in the movie
    Gangdam Style was in it. I told you.
    Most of the NBA behind the scenes was when he was with Golden State.
    His agent is not Asian. Show me the money.
    ESPN - they had a lot of ESPN footage of all the ESPN shows and folks
    He has a bunch of Michael Jordan shirts.

What I didn't like:

The actual Linsanity Streak - I understand that's suppose to be the apex, but to me, I already know all of that.
    Yes you see all the footage of his Knicks achievements, but you can find that on youtube. The struggle was more interesting than the success.
    Random segments of Lin dunking and dribbling in slow motion in a CGI background. Pointless, I don't care about a Lin commercial, and it's not like he's Vince Carter dunking.
    Lin trying to sing Bel Biv Devo's Poison.
    Not enough Daryl Morey screen time. That dude is a star.

The screening itself.

Jeremy Lin showed up and he had a fair amount of fans but no one too fanatic. There was that one girl who professed her fandom to him in Q&A.
    You had a better chance of seeing Jeremy Lin than Selena Gomez that day.
    Jeremy seemed like a normal dude, I was not star struck.
    The audience was a film audience of all races.
    I ran into someone who knew me in high school, ultra random.
    I started clapping when the screen said "Jeremy Lin signs with the Houston Rockets for millions of dollars", then people followed my clap
    I wasn't clapping that he signed a contract, I was clapping cause it said HOUSTON ROCKETS!
    Everyone was civilized and chill at the screening, lots of people stayed for the Q&A.

Summary:

If Hoop Dreams is the standard 5 stars, I'd give Linsanity 4 stars. The pacing was good, the cinematography/music/production was top notch for a documentary.
    The Lin story was a good story of how he grew up and achieved his dreams. There was some bumps in the road and contraversy, but it's not like
    Jeremy Lin's dad was buying crack from the street like Arthur Agee's dad or Jeremy was across from Madison Square Garden doing cocaine like Michael Ray Richardson. I would have been bored if the Linsanity Knicks part went too long, but fortunately that part wasn't so long.
    They kept the story about him, not his fans, not the Knicks.

Go support your local Film Festival, cheap skates.

2 people like this.