1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin = Legit 3pt threat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim777dawg, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

His form looks decent and he shoots with a lot of arc. I don't know why his shots are so wildly off sometimes. He's airballed two wide open threes in a single game. If he could be a consistent three point shooter our offense would be ridiculous.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah just heard on TBJ. Lin spent all his time in GSW practicing shooting with Curry & all his time in NY practicing shooting with Novak. I really like that.

I never knew this. Thanks for sharing.

3. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Don't think this is a knee jerk reaction at all. While he may not sustain the current %, Lin works very very very hard. His percentage should be decent. But I am very surprised that he improved this quickly. I recall I cringed every time the three ball went up but this time around his confidence in shooting the 2 and 3 has sky- rocketed

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

Lin has too much of an arc in his shot, and Parsons doesn't have enough of one.

Lin and Parson's 3pt shots should have a child together. It'd be the most lethal shot in the league.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

So that's where Steve Novak came from...

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

He still needs to develop more fluidity in his shot. He has a noticable pause between his catch and release.

An offseason will do wonders for him. If he can get up to 37-38% and we can add a legit low post threat, our half court will make significant strides.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

What I like about Lin's 3pt-shooting is that he seems to hit a much higher % in clutch situations. And unlike most of the game, when he passes up on wide-open threes as if he were afraid to try, in clutch situations he doesn't hesitate at all. It almost looks like he WANTS the ball and is confident that he'll knock it down -- but only near the end of a close game.

Anyone have a source for stats on that sort of thing? (Apart from DM, of course.)

8. st1sj

st1sj Member

Since I do not live in Houston anymore, I watch the games on League Pass and sometimes get the home announcing team. I have noticed that Worrell does not seem to like Lin very much and prefers Douglas more. Worrell seems less forgiving of Lin's mistakes. Interesting!

9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If Lin can become a solid 3 point shooter, he's the perfect compliment to Harden.

He's big. He plays solid defense. He can drive and dish if they double Harden. The only thing that has been holding him back all season has been his horrendous 3 point shooting.

I'll be thrilled with Lin if he overcomes that - and I think with his IQ and work ethic, he will.

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Way too early to tell. He is still adjusting but he works hard. Good stretch but as a team we have been hot. This should be an off-season thread after we have a full season with him.......

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

http://www.82games.com/1213/12HOU2.HTM#clutch

Per48min he averages 24 pts on 53% FG.

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=202391&groupFeedtype=clutch

Also NBA.com has clutch stats.

Hope that helps

1 person likes this.
  13. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

With 26 games remaining, this seems like a good time for Lin to be heating up, especially if he can stay consistent the rest of the way. I hope we get more of the same exciting brand of basketball that we've being seeing so far.

14. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

This man speaks truth. Novokane is born

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would prefer he not jack up that many 3s, but if he's open that's considered a 'good shot'.
    it's not his strength and we've got some good 3 point shooters on the team.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think we may need him to shoot more now that we lost Ppatt & Morris. Our half court offense won't be as strong. We shall see though.

17. WSWhippets

WSWhippets Member

JL reminds me of a young Jason Kidd--the way he rips the ball on D, the way he initiates the break, his court vision (how many times does he throw the no look pass to a wide open big under the basket?). they have similar size. JKidd was slightly stronger and a better passer, JL is slightly quicker off the dribble and a better scorer. both of them had/have people shaving the J off their first names. (Eremy and Ason). Now no one has sunk more threes than JKidd except ray Allen and Reggie. And Jeremy's J is showing rapid improvement....players improve. JL is doing it at an accelerated pace right before our very eyes. he's young so he will regress, but in the long term his 3 is going to be deadly. That's just what he does--he improves.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Players can never improve their 3pt shooting.

Signed,
    Kyle Lowry

19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

His shooting coach was right. He said that Jeremy was always a good shooter, and his struggles at the perimeter in the beginning of the season weren't because he trained wrong or his form was off. It was because he had confidence when he misses a couple or goes on a cold streak he let's it get to him. All confidence in his own abillity in the end, and we know how he shoots much better when his confidence is high and he trusts his own shot.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as he doesn't force a bad shot, I'm good with it.