1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

For those curious, here are the dates and shooting percentages of the players I listed that shot worse than Lin over 9 or more games:

Code:
    PLAYER          START        END          GAMES   FG%     3P%
    Ray Allen       2004-11-24   2004-12-11   9       0.348   0.266
    Brent Barry     1999-03-11   1999-03-26   10      0.352   0.216
    Raja Bell       2009-03-16   2009-04-01   9       0.353   0.257
    Kevin Durant    2007-11-06   2007-11-23   10      0.346   0.244
    Kyle Korver     2004-12-01   2004-12-17   9       0.330   0.267
    Mike Miller     2003-01-13   2003-02-13   11      0.344   0.250
    Reggie Miller   1996-03-06   1996-03-24   9       0.348   0.265
    Reggie Miller   2002-02-25   2002-03-20   10      0.353   0.228
    Dirk Nowitzki   2003-11-25   2003-12-23   9       0.343   0.242
    Peja Stojakovic 2009-02-08   2009-04-03   13      0.340   0.265
    Peja Stojakovic 2010-02-19   2010-03-05   9       0.348   0.237
    Jason Terry     2003-12-30   2004-01-17   9       0.340   0.240
    Jason Terry     2004-03-08   2004-03-22   9       0.353   0.226

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

3. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Lin can't score. Each player is automatically awarded 10 points at the start of each game.

Fire David Stern.

4. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Comeon. That's putting expectation way too high. Lin will not be Steve Nash. Nash is deadly from beyond the arc. Lin is a horrendous shooter. Nash consistently averages 12-14 assists a game. Lin is averaging half of that. Get a grip. Don't heap unrealistic expectations on the kid.

5. just a word

just a word Member

Even with this I just kind of roll my eyes at the over-weight on 'scoring', it was actually why I stopped being in basketball fandom for awhile. Because there's so much else that a player does on the court but the main thing that gets attention is the buckets.

What about everything that leads up to a bucket, or a blocked bucket?

Pft, I bet these same people who complain about Lin's scoring are the same who hate Battier, esp in years/stretches where his shot was shaky. Hell, I'm guessing these are the same people who hated the Asik trade because they heard he had no offense and didn't think Asik would improve.

6. kmart9419

Lin is doomed to fail if he is constantly compared to A listers and legends. Lin is barely average right now. Stop the hype.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is a typical dumb response. Nobody is saying he is the next Dirk or Ray Allen (although the coaching staff is trying to turn him into Ray Allen) or that he is of that talent level or will be of there talent level. They don't even play the same position goodness. People are just saying that players go through slumps scoring wise even great players. Considering that Lin is in his 30th start lightningbolt is just trying to add some perspective. Just some thoughts.

8. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Lin has only made 34 starts as a pro, but you're already saying that he will NO WAY be as good as Steve Nash? 34 starts and Lin has already peaked? Maybe if Lin had more years to practice his shooting, his shooting % could go up to Nash's level? Then again, maybe I'm just crazy.

Steve Nash needed 10 years for him to be MVP Steve Nash. Steve Novak needed 5 years for him to be the Steve Novak we know.

9. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

The NBA slowly turning into AND1 ball is why I stopped watching the NBA before Lin came on board. I like that Lin plays a team game.

NBA fans judge a player solely based on their scoring. They think AND1 ball is proper basketball.

10. just a word

just a word Member

I'll give you the shooting, but in return admit that Nash doesn't rebound nearly as much, or steal, or block. Those are points that are not going on the opponents scoreboard and matters re:being ahead or behind in a game as much as adding points.

About assists: Nash had a higher usage (if you want specific in 2011, 21.5%) than Lin is currently. In his low-assist games he's at about 17% or lower. The last game where he had higher usage at about 19% (I think it was), he had 11 assists. It's not far off to say that Lin could add an assist or three if he bumped up to 21.5% usage AND the team has a league average FG% (they are currently one of the worst 3pt% teams in the league, several of these shots were open looks fed by Lin).

Here, have the numbers to prove it, for reference I compared Nash last year to Lin this year:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg/year/2012

In that one preseason game where Lin was actually playing as a PG (instead of an SG like in games 3 through 6), he had 12 assists.

12 assists, on a team that has less nba minutes collectively than Kevin McHale does in total, on a team where at that time Asik is still bobbling passes left and right (let alone the rest of them being able to finish), shooting more threes and making less of them than practically the entire league. Which means that number can only get better.

11. just a word

just a word Member

Oh god, I know what you mean. I hate it when the game is halted for those freaking free throws. I mean, yeah I understand it's good for the team and easy buckets, and a bit of rest but COME ON.

Part of why I so enthusiastically jumped on the Rockets fandom after Lin switched was because it's Morey's team, Battier's old team, and I always loved the way Morey used stats and looked at the numbers that really mattered. I loved that he loved Battier too, and made sure he was used correctly.

This is part of why I have faith that they'll figure it out.

(Speaking of Battier I could not bring myself to follow Battier to the Heat. Because... god the Heat. Likewise, I don't know what to do with myself if they trade any of our guys to the Lakers. I actually keep trying to remember that Les yelled at Morey and hung up on him over Lin's Toronto game when that discussion comes up. BECAUSE OMGWTF NO. NOT THE LAKERS.)

12. tefunk

tefunk Member

“Which player has been the biggest disappointment so far this season?”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/sunday-topic-most-disappointing-player/

“Jeremy Lin. The most exciting player of the 2011-12 season, by far, was Jeremy Lin. Everybody in the country, even people who didn’t follow basketball at all, knew what Linsanity was. The guy was dropping 20+ points every night, hitting huge shots and embarrassing some of the league’s biggest stars. Yes, he finished the season hurt, but the flash he put in the pan before fizzling out was brighter than almost anything we’ve ever seen in this league.

The falling out with the Knicks was disappointing for him, but on a Houston Rockets team that, outside of James Harden, doesn’t have a lot of offensive fire power, Lin was expected to step in this season knock together some more heads.

Through the first nine games of the season, that just hasn’t happened. In fact, surprise contributor Chandler Parsons and the famously inept offensive disaster Omer Asik are both averaging more points per game than Lin (10.9), who, by the way, is also shooting only 35.5 percent from the field and 26.7 percent from three. His 6.7 assists per game is only 14th in the league. For the record, that’s exactly half of what Rajon Rondo is dishing out in Boston.

But Lin wasn’t particularly efficient even during his best days in New York. What seems to be gone this year is that larger-than-life feeling surrounding the kid. His confidence has come back down to earth, and since that’s where his talent has always been anyhow, his overall statistical output is looking pretty average this year.

He’s still young, and still hasn’t even played the equivalent of a full NBA season, so there’s time to grow into himself, but so far this season he’s been a bit of a bummer, especially in the shadow of Harden’s comparative greatness.” – Joel Brigham

13. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

Lin this season except the shooting percentage, has done extremely well in reb, ass and steal. On one hand they never want to acknowledge his achievement and inspiring story last season saying he is and will forever be a subpar to avg guard, and at same time comparing him to the best of best in this league and claim he is the biggest bust so far this year. Just plain stupid and ignorant.

14. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

I bet this guy wrote that BS solely based on the box score.
    And he didn't watch one Rockets game at all.

15. slickster

slickster Member

Idiotic post with exaggerated, fabricated pseudo "facts."

1. Nash shot 42/46/36% from the field in his first 3 seasons, just 42% overall through his first THREE FULL SEASONS. FACT.

2. Meanwhile, Lin is shooting over 42% in his first 74 games, less than one full season.

2. Nash has NEVER averaged 12 apg, much less 14. This is so stupid you lose all credibility. Nash is averaging 8.6 apg over his career. He has a career high of 11.5 apg.

Through his first 65 games, Nash averaged 7.6 apg per36; through Lin's first 74, he's averaging 7.4 apg; IDENTICAL ASSIST STATS THROUGH THE EARLY PART OF THEIR CAREERS. FACT.

Clutch really shouldn't allow people like you with dyslexia to post on this forum, but what can you do. :/

16. slickster

slickster Member

Iso ball has been the norm for several decades now in the nba.

It is very tough to watch; I love basketball, but the NBA version is basically an ego and revenue driven, bastardized version of basketball. We should put "basketball" in quotes when talking about the nba.

17. slickster

slickster Member

Dumb hater.

18. just a word

just a word Member

And this is why I was so excited too when Harden got traded, because he's known for being a team player and unselfish with the ball. I wonder at what the coaches are doing or perhaps what they think 'NBA basketball' looks like, because the heavy iso-ball doesn't cater to Harden's strengths either.

The whole fact that Parsons is a glue guy and that Asik is a defensive glue guy is part of why I fell for this team so hard so fast, that this is a team primarily comprised of guys who want to play as a TEAM. Or at least the most of the starters.

...given all that, I'm not sold on Patterson yet. And Delfino makes me facepalm when he's doing anything other than shoot threes.

19. kmart9419

Keep comparing lin to greats and you will be disappointed. That's just reality. Using a living legend as a comparison is unfair to Lin. If Lin obtain Nash's level in a few years, awesome. But right now, he's shooting worst than a scrub and got playing time taken from him by a scrub. Set a realistic goal. If he can get 14/7/2, then he earned his paycheck.

Steve Novak is steve novak. Never changed. He can't rebound, he can't block, he can't pass, he can't guard, he can't dunk, he can't post and he can't jump. Nothing changed. Novak was a pure shooter when he came in and still a pure shooter now. Only difference is he had Lin last year otherwise he will be rotting in the Dleague right now.

1 person likes this.
  20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

YES lets stop projecting on Jlin, let his performance with the Rockets do the talking. Just hope they don't use him in illogical ways , that's all I can ask and hope for. let the KID play best , cause it's good for Rockets . Go rockets .