1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. torocan

torocan Member

9 games in it's WAY to soon whether Lin can play with Harden. Especially when they've had multiple games where they've BOTH put up very solid to great numbers together.

And even Morey said he does NOT expect "linsane" stats, ie, 23/8 or even 18/7. For $8.3M/year, Lin's stats are quite respectable, and if he gets better any time over the next 3 years he'll be significantly UNDERPAID as NBA salaries go.

Pretty passes don't make a person a good passer. EFFICIENT passes are what make a passer a good passer. Pretty doesn't put the ball in your team mate's hands, or stop your opponent from stealing your pass.

Lots of guys make pretty dunks. It doesn't make them good scorers or NBA players for that matter.

As for Jump Shots, those are the EASIEST thing to fix. That Lin can shoot 90% from FT range shows he has good eyes and decent form. The rest is simply practice and reps.

How much he'll improve is anyone's guess, but you don't need to be a knockdown shooter to be a solid starting PG. And frankly, if he shot as well as Dragic AND continued to pass and defend as well as he does now, he'd be a borderline ALL STAR player and be worth ALOT more than $8.3M.

Dragic isn't remotely in the same league as Lowry, sorry.

Lowry OWNS Dragic defensively, and in passing and ball handling, and is only *slightly* worse than Dragic in actual scoring impact (True Shooting percentage... the ONLY stat that means anything. FG% is worthless as it does NOT include free throws or weight in 3 point shooting).

I get that you like Dragic, but really, don't make me pull out the Statistics. It's late.

What you see is irrelevant. Team mates scoring is all that counts.

Think of it like Fighting. You can do that pretty spin kick, but it doesn't mean anything if I can knock you out because you have a glass jaw. IE, the EYE test vs Results.

2. jose

jose Member

PPG APG RPG FG % MPG are the only stats that matter for this discussion, especially FG%, and Lin fails in all those categories except RPG which I gave him credit for.

3. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Or everyone else with your position has moved on because Torocan had straightened out the facts for them?

I find Torocan's posts to be very informative and backed up with supporting data, not argument in guise of evidence.

4. jose

jose Member

I don't need stats, it's simple, Lowry is better defensively and Dragic is better offensively, it depends on how your team is set up.

5. tank94

tank94 New Member

Wow, it appalls me when i see minorities making or rather implying (in this case) racist comments. your name is Jose, and u live in Texas (of course I'm assuming the latter), u should know better racism is bad enough, but its even worse when it comes from someone that's experienced it. hope u don't say the same about black Obama supporters.

lastly, i dont think Lin is playing at the level he should be. i'm not a rockets fan, i'm a knicks fan. but i've seen a few rockets games this season (except when they play the same time as NYK). anyways, Lin isn't getting screens and he's being used as a spot-up shooter. that's not his game at all. i dont wanna defend players for bad plays (especially when they dont play for my team), but i'll admit that Lin needs to start playing better. anyways, i'm pretty drunk. so some of what i wrote here might not make sense. so sorry in advance except what i said in the first paragraph 'cuz that ish is true. peace!!

6. jose

jose Member

Advanced stats suggested Varejao was one of the top players in the league some seasons ago. He's having a very solid season thus far(much better statistically than he had in the past when he was rated as one top via that way), would be an all-star if the Cavs weren't terrible.

But that's why advanced stats don't work, because going off of PER and selected situations can make anyone look good or bad and doesn't look at all the outlying factors which there are many.

Varejao is a great player to have on your team but you can't build around him.

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

He has been successful, whats your point?

There are plenty of point guards who can't shoot or at least not good at midrange/3pt shooting but still end up having a good career. It took Jason Kidd his entire career to develop a somewhat reliable jumpshot, Kevin Johnson couldnt shoot to save his life, then there's Rajon Rondo.

I think the problem you have, no matter it's driven by your bias, or you just simply couldn't see it, that you are stuck with your "expectation" of Lin based on false stats and inaccurate "eye-test". There are more than enough stats to prove otherwise but you seem to be too ignorant to accept them.

Jose, do yourself a favor. Accept that at this stage, you have insufficient evidences to back up your claim. You are entitled to your opinions, but please come back another time with better argument other than pointing your fingers at LOFs while ignoring all the facts.

Have a better day.

8. jose

jose Member

BTW Harden is our real PG anyway.

9. nono

nono Member

No way jose !

10. jose

jose Member

Nah, I'm never gonna surrender, Lin is the worst starting PG I've seen on this team in a long time. My bigger problem is with the FO giving away better players over superficial marketing reasons over Lin not panning out.

If both Dragic and Lowry were never on the rockets and all they had was some scrub playing PG, I'd have no problem with the Lin signing since it makes 100% sense. In this case it doesn't.

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

You think rafer was better than Lin?

12. jose

jose Member

No but I really hope we aren't setting the bar that low, Rafer was almost 5 years ago.

13. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

lol jose's logic "I dont need the stinkin' facts! Im perfectly happy with the assumptions I pull out of my ass! thank you very much :mad:"
    :p

14. jose

jose Member

That actually makes me wonder why they brought him back.

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

And Lin doubles this real PG's AST% while committing fewer TOs..

Seriously?

Just give up, you are clowning yourself.

16. jose

jose Member

Here's the problem with "facts" is that advanced stats sometimes suggest no name scrubs are better than big name players, when there's so many more factors that stats cannot measure.

Ability to make your own shot, ability to produce in the clutch, defense stats are wonky, and the system the player plays in matters as well. That's why I only care about averages and right now Lin's averages are awful.

17. torocan

torocan Member

OH Jose... I really appreciate your enthusiasm, I really do. However, do you REALLY want me to tell you ALL the reasons why the stats you choose are NOT useful for what you want to figure out?

Fine.

Basketball Statistics 101

PPG - Points per game. Total points scored in a single game. Not very useful as it does not take into account the number of shots required, or the number of minutes played, or the actual accuracy of the shots. You can have 30 PPG from 30 shots, or 15 shots, or 10 shots, or 0 shots (FT shooting) over 20 minutes or 48 minutes.

APG - Assists per game. Total assists granted in a single game. As in PPG it has limited value as it does not factor in minutes or failed passes. You can have 10 Assists with 30 turnovers, or 5 turnovers or zero.

FG% - Percentage of shots that go in. Meaningless statistic as it does NOT weigh the difference in points earned between 2pt and 3pt shots, or fouls drawn, or free throws. It also does not distinguish between long shots, medium shots, short range shots or dunks. You can't tell whether the person is a good shooter, great shooter, or just stands and dunks under the rim. It also does not factor in shot difficulty in terms of whether your shot is contested, generated under clock pressure, done off the dribble or from a catch and shoot.

MPG - Minutes per game. You got me. This one is legit. If you play 20 minutes then you've played 20 minutes. Oh wait... MPG does not factor in pace or the number of possessions. A team can have 100 possessions in a game, or 120 possessions, or 80 possessions. It also doesn't tell us how many times the player actually had the ball in their hands.

RPG - Nice that you gave that to Lin, but it's also a flawed statistic. Does not factor in pace, or the actual number of rebounds that are available (pace).

I hope I was helpful in illuminating the wonderful world of Basketball statistics.

18. jose

jose Member

Actually all you did was prove why your advanced stats mean nothing, because they don't factor in pace or the team played or anything like that. So right now I'll take Fg% and attempts and MPG why Lin sucks.

19. instar

instar Member

you know what? i have my doubts in lin, but if i have to choose between one man's humble
    simple minded opinion says "I don't need stats to tell you lin's fraud." and scientific facts, I rather go for latter.

20. jose

jose Member

I also prior mentioned why FG% can only be manipulated if a player takes significantly more 3pt shots or long range 2s than lay ups. Go find Lin's TS% it's probably barely average only because of his FTs(which to me are meaningless cause he doesn't even get that many attempts).