1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin: Dream big, be yourself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TTNN, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Couple of things. I don't see what the big outcry is about Lin believing in God. His isn't trying to push religion on anyone but rather just explaining how important it is to him in his professional and personal life. Nothing wrong with that at all. Secondly, every single player has an ego. Some are more outgoing then others but it takes a certain attitude to make it as a professional athlete. The only thing is will take issue with is the fact that he was brought in to be the franchise player. I have a hard time believing that he was told that by Morey. It's well known that Morey has always been in the hunt to bring in a superstar caliber player and Lin had to know that his quest to do so was going to continue.

In the end, I just think he was being honest. I'm sure last season was frustrating for him on a variety of levels. He has tons of pressure on him. Look at what SOME (I know many have come around lately) of his fans expect him to be. Nash, Parker, Stockton, better then Chris Paul, ect...all unrealistic expectations that make matters worse for him. It's obvious he pays attention to what people say.

3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

The further confirms that lin was set aside. i feel bad what he had to go through. Lets see what happens next season. Maybe its best that he gets traded.

4. conquistador#11

by the way maury reflected on how owner Lex hounded him for letting lin go the first time, of Maury told lin everything he wanted to hear to get him here. If you don't think daryl wouldn't do that, then you don't know what he is capable of. =)

5. rokit

rokit Member

No need to blame his fans (or the haters), 'cause at the end of the day it was Lin himself who was chasing the status, $$$, fame, whatever. He let his ego trick him into thinking that being a solid NBA player and a multimillionaire at the age of 24 is not enough, and it turned his life into a joyless misery to the point that he couldn't eat or sleep.

There is nothing wrong with being a superstar - but making your happiness dependent on acquiring external stuff - things, $$$, "worldly success" - creates present dissatisfaction and ruins the quality of life.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

What happened to just trying to be better than your current level? What happened to competitive spirit? What happened to trying to make whoever support you proud?

How's everything has to be chasing status, $$$ and fame?

7. King1

I don't think Morey told him he was going to be our franchise player. He didn't have to tell Lin everything he wanted to hear. We were competing with the Knicks and that's all. They arranged the contract in a way the knicks couldn't match. Morey doesn't seem like he's the type to blatantly lie to a players face.

8. King1

I'm not absolving him from any responsibility but Lin doesn't strike me as a money hungry fame chaser. Nothing about the way he carries himself indicates that. Sure, he may have let his ego and the pressure get the best of him, but that happens to a lot of people.

I've been one of the people most critical of Lin's game but I think he's a very high character guy.

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

wow King1, you are making sense here. Yeah most players would buckle and collapse under this sort of situation. It's amazing that he managed to recover from this after the allstar break. Too bad the playoffs became unsettled business for him.

Sorry guys,I am going to be critical (not hating) of Mchale/Sampson here. They could have handled this alot better.

10. rajon

rajon Member

I think Lin was referring to how people were talking about him, like espn. I remember in his early interviews they asked him several times if he was ready to be the face of the franchise and he said something along the lines of, I dont see myself that way, Martin has done a lot more than me and he seemed uncomfortable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KJJwGhJAscE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> At 11:49

Mchale also said no one was happier when we got Harden than Lin. He said when he called to tell him the news Jeremy said "Oh thank God, coach!" I'm sure the only thing he is not too happy about is sharing pg duties.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

agree it's on him, but don't really think he was chasing all that - just trying to live up to an incredibly high expectation from the media, fans, and most of all, himself. chasing that expectation can take you to the top of the world if you succeed, but to the bottom of the pits if you fail. he experienced both within a span of less than 10 months. now he realizes that even the highs don't last that long, and he needs to put his HEART in something else that does last.

have to say, though, but i'm extremely impressed that all of this is coming from a 24 yr old kid. at 24, i was still trying to figure out where to blow my paycheck on weekends.

12. rokit

rokit Member

nothing wrong with it if you like what you're doing and you're having fun, mistake is letting your happiness depend on it...

Yeah, maybe not the money and the fame, but he was definitely chasing the status and approval "for me, i couldn't feel joy or feel important unless i played like Linsanity, unless i played well enough to drown out the voice of the haters and hear the praise of my supporters"

And you're right, it happens to "regular" people a lot, which is why he's sharing his testimony.

13. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

If Kobe is not conceited, then he is not Kobe, so I just don't get why people feel irritated when Lin confessed that he believed he could have done more or better. He was treated as a franchise player when signed until later we got harden.

14. AvgJoe

Nothing wrong with your happiness depend on it. It is like having your happiness depending on your career, not everyone is like that, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

I agree he's chasing approval, mainly because he didn't get it earlier his life, from not getting athletic scholarships, to not drafted. It is not so hard to see reasons behind it.

I disagree on he's chasing status. Does not having the status on the team bother him? Yes. but that is more like he expected to be the man of this team when he signed, but the expectation became faulty once Harden was here. It is more about the frustration of having to lower his expectation and adjust. If he's seeking status, he would be more open about how he didn't have enough usage and so on. Instead, he's been defending coach's decisions.

15. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

This has become a philosophical discussion. Religion is a choice just as to base your happiness on career, fame, $$$, etc. There are no absolute right's or wrong's. You make the choices and you live with the consequences.

Apparently for a man with 25 mil and great fame and successes, he found lasting happiness only through religion.

16. rokit

rokit Member

so what happens when you don't win or even worse, you get injured? do you just suffer and hate your life?

i'm sure mods are loving this :p

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't suppose Jeremy could just play basketball?

18. ashiin

ashiin Member

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Not sure if this is already being discussed in this monster thread but ESPN is blowing a small tidbit of what Lin said out of proportion and out of context. Headline is: Jeremy Lin: Coaches lost faith in me

Sheesh...

Isn't Tebow up to something?

20. AvgJoe

That is what you have to pay, but that is also your motivation to work harder in improving yourself. But who mentioned "hate"? He may not be happy by it, but how will he hate his life? These guys are millionaires, why would they hate their life? Point is he may get frustratied and upset by injuries and bad plays, but that is the motivation to improve himself.

It's perfectly fine to have the "get by" mind set, no need to try hard, no need to depend happiness on performance, but in a competitive world, if you don't improve, you get worse.