1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin: Dream big, be yourself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TTNN, Aug 18, 2013.

1. eomor131

eomor131 Member

Please stop feeding trolls

2. hltiki

hltiki Member

that one thread was just locked and I still have an hour left at work...

3. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

The board moderators did the right thing by locking the thread.

For whatever reason, SSP365 is on a Jeremy Lin smear campaign. If I didn't know any better I'd say its personal as it gets for the Internet.

4. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

What evidence? He was speaking his own personal experience to encourage a youth gathering to be yourself and to trust in God more than self, more than media or haters. What is wrong with that? Lin is not just an NBA player. Whether you like it or not, he is a celebrity of sort in Taiwan and China, and a role model for many Chinese youth. He was invited to speak for free. That is a speech in a youth faith gathering and he is encouraging the youngers not to make his own mistakes of falling for fame & success (as in Linsanity) and pride (as in trying to be Linsanity or corner stone in Houston). He humbles himself before God and acknowledge his weaknesses and mistakes. That is a wonderful message to the youth. Truly amazing how you can interpret this so negatively.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with dreaming big or even getting big headed with success. Humans are prideful creatures, especially when he is young. It is good that he realized it early. I have always maintained he is a really hard worker, so hopefully it pays off big for him this upcoming season, though his fans will become totally insufferable if that happens.

6. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

I think he realized and admitted that it is a mistake. It is a media frenzy in NY to paint himself into someone he is not (as least not yet), a NBA superstar, and as a young man he fell for such vanity. But it is also understandable at the time of Houston basketball - the team was literally disbanded entirely leaving only a young rookie Parson, and Lin was not too far off base to think that he was joining a rebuilding team with no superstar. He thought he would be directing a young team of nobodies (like during Linsanity) and somehow would bring some success to that team like he did in NY. It is of course wishful thinking but given so young and naïve, it is understandable. As others say, who knows what Morey told him during the recruitment. It is not too far fetched that Morey would say something like that to attract a player to join the team.

7. lfw

lfw Rookie

LOL. Had to take a shot of his fans, huh? Whether Lin plays well or not, some of Lin's fans and those who like to speak against some of his fans, like you, will bicker back and forth endlessly. You guys can't help yourself but chime in. It's like some kind of perverse addiction to drama. It must mean so much to both sides if the same posters keep posting. It's like you believe you are making this board better but getting into e-fights with each other or somehow convince the other side is wrong. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Not to be rude but if you reply to my post, don't expect a response. I'm done posting in this thread.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's right, Linsanity was created by others. Lin has chosen not to play for the world but to play for a higher power.

Here in Houston, we know that Clutch City wasn't created by the world, it was created by super humans and is enternal and superior to Linsanity.

9. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

Scientology? :eek:

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Someone has his panties twisted. Baby want a bottle? :rolleyes:

11. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

lol at everyone thinking lin was this humble non attention w**** seeking person. He really thinks he would have put up linsanity numbers if harden was here?:rolleyes:

12. rokit

rokit Member

forget about the new york media and morey, lin still wanted to be a superstar even after the season started, that's why he wrote "I'm tired and weary and I can't wait for the season to end" only a few days after scoring career high 38pts vs the spurs.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

No those are fake ass humans.

Clutch City is eternal, aliens would respect it.

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

would respect more if had more championships

I KID I KID!

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

settle down, justin. you're supposed to be ray charles to the BS. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I find this video really sad.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

What people who aren't from Houston get, is what it meant to Houston, what it meant to Hakeem (he almost won an NCAA title). The city was filled with heartbreak sports moments, the Oilers the Astros.

There were so many non-believers, the media hated Houston and loved New York, they wanted the Knicks to win so bad, you can hear it in the NBC commentators voices.

But we did it. We had the best player in the world, which nobody could stop. People thought it was battle vs Patrick Ewing. People saw who was the better player.

This championship was so powerful, one Rockets fan decided to name himself and his website after it.

18. Exel

Exel Member

So Lin being confident in himself and thinking he could replicate his success he had in New York in Houston makes him a arrogant, attention seeking w****. Ok...

19. jackycool

jackycool Member

He didn't paint himself to be a superstar, he expected to be the face of the franchise ("the guy"), and that time everyone was thinking the same thing. From the contract to the billboards to everyone's expectations, everyone was expecting him to be the cornerstone of the franchise. And although it was a rebuilding year, Lin was basically being paid on potential which is why he only got 8m and not near-max or the max.

Anyways, it's nice to see Lin so candid about last season. Good thing Lin knows he doesn't have to play to anyone's expectations and all he has to do is play the best basketball he can.

20. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I would rather you live in a world where people are free to spread whatever message they want.

I would rather you live in a world where you don't hate people based on their religion and opinion which are different from yours.

I would rather you live in a world where defending Edward Snowden and Jesus Christ are both OK.

I really would rather you live in a world where a basketball player sharing his faith to a crowd in another country doesn't make you this riled up.

Find that world. It's good for your health.

2 people like this.