1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Lin Called to be a Christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SacTown, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Oh you religious people... so funny. A basketball player suddenly doing well is proof of God, but starving/dying children in Africa cannot be credited to the same entity.

Anyway, I think his credit to his God is misplaced. He should credit his hard work and the people who helped him get to where he is. But that's just a difference between he and I... and that's fine. I'm not going to hate him or dislike the Linsanity any more because of it. I'm still gonna follow him and wish him the best since it's such a great story.

That's why there's nothing to debate.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Just to play the devil's advocate who thinks Jeremy Lin wouldn't be as popular today if he were a heavy Muslim and went on TV during interviews to thank Allah?

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I do think Hakeem is very much devoted. I am not saying that him or Shaq or Kareem are not.

But I am talking about Tebow-like. Praying (or in a Muslim's case, prostrating) during the game, on the field (I guess in this case, court).

Obviously Lin is not to that extreme but I am just wondering how people would react.

#43 BleedRocketsRed, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

First, we really don't need to inject this into the thread. God knows, there are countless others here where that could be discussed. Second, do you really consider Mr. Lin "heavy?" The cat doesn't look fat to me! :-D-

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

There would be absolutely no difference. Most people probably don't even know what his faith is. He doesn't exactly wear it on his chest.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ha, right. Deluded...

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's be more popular, but with a different political sub-group.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Shaq is muslim and nobody makes a big deal out of it. Everybody loves Shaq.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/may/29/sports/sp-lakerep29

Shaq and Hedo Share a Moment

SACRAMENTO — It's not Isiah and Magic, but it's sweet nonetheless.

Shaquille O'Neal and Hedo Turkoglu have hugged and touched both cheeks before the opening tip in every game of the Western Conference finals.

"It's not a French thing," O'Neal said, laughing. "It's a Muslim thing."

Turkoglu, from Turkey, and O'Neal share the Muslim faith, which they learned about each other during the past All-Star game in Philadelphia.

"Muslims respect each other," Turkoglu said Tuesday night. "It's nice, you know. It didn't surprise me when he did it, because Muslin people support each other."

Everybody else touches fists, or something similar.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's weird to see talking about religion as taboo in entertainment when religion is one of the staples for news stories.

I can understand corporations drawing that line to offend the least amount of people possible, but for us to enforce it on ourselves seems so out of place.

I guess it's the whole "escaping from reality thing" that religion might bring too close to home (or at the very least get testy about it), but it's pretty sad that we need that escape valve to dodge these kinds of issues.

10. Poloshirtbandit

I thought it had more to do with his comments on the Pledge of Allegiance than his faith?

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He does credit hard work and the people who helped him quite often.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

We've already been through that on this thread - Mike Tyson thank "Allah the only true God and the prophet Mohammad" after each fight..and he's never gotten grief over it.

13. Nook

Nook Member

That sounds like a capitol idea! See here now fellas, can I come. I will be nattily attired in my Sunday best!