1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Santa Cruz Warrior on a Teacher Salary

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

The problem is that I highly doubt that this is going to help. The guy who said that isn't all of a sudden become less racist because he talked with Lin and took a few sensitivity classes. Those aren't consequences

tinman likes this.
  2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

At a high level, I agree with you. But without knowing the details of what happened, it's hard to make an informed judgement. Was there anything specific that happened leading up to the use of the slur? Was there a pattern of poor behavior? Did they use the slur more than once? Did the general environment of the G League have a lot of trash talking? Lots of things that might shed light on the perceived severity of use of the slur and the requisite punishment. We also don't know if the conversations with Lin and sensitivity classes were the full extent of the punishment. For example, they can't suspend him without people figuring out who it was, so maybe they are pursuing a different punishment path.

Anyways, like I said, I agree with you that the consequences should be enough to make a real impact on the player who did it. But without further information about the details, it is hard to judge whether that happened or not. Regarding Lin, I respect his desire to use this incident as a teaching opportunity and not focus on shaming the player...I might not have taken the same approach, but can understand the reasoning for it. Other Asian-Americans who have spoken out about violence against Asian-Americans (eg. Daniel Dae Kim, Olivia Munn, others) appear to be taking a similar stance overall...

King1 likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

by the way Lin handled the whole thing,

it's was never about guy's and other people's racism it's about Lin's fragile ego

tinman likes this.
  4. yoeddy

How is it about "Lin's fragile ego"? Are you saying that leaders from the Asian-American community also have fragile egos? Maybe it's just a different approach that doesn't require people tearing others down? Seems like the only ones who benefit from POC tearing each other down are the non-POC, no?

5. vlaurelio

so Lin consulted them and they were totally happy with a personal sorry to Lin that's it???

6. yoeddy

No idea if Lin consulted with them, but Daniel Dae Kim, Olivia Munn, Yul Kwon and many others have been calling for solidarity and unity among POC in response to the violence against Asian-Americans. The truth is that 80% of violence against Asian-Americans is perpetrated by other POC, so the public-shaming against the attackers ends up getting used to divide Asian-Americans from other ethnic community groups. So leaders in the Asian-American community have been raising awareness of these attacks with a message of trying to educate rather than shame.

Again, not necessarily the way I would go about it. Personally, I would name names and go for more policing, but it seems like the younger generation of people in the Asian-American community want to go about it differently, so I will be supportive as long as we are all successful at raising awareness of the issues.

7. yoeddy

Also another thing to consider given the relationship between the Asian-American community and the Black-American community, there is obviously a lot of tension between them given the self-interest of each and how sometimes it conflicts with the self-interest of the other...and maybe in terms of his own self-preservation, maybe Lin felt that naming the perpetrator might bring some heat on him (assuming the perpetrator was black) and hurt his relationship with other black players. Maybe he even thought that bringing that kind of heat might hurt his chances of getting signed to an NBA team because black players might not want to play with him if he named the name.

Anyways, all of this is speculation...bottom line is that Lin didn't want to shame the player, the G League agreed with that approach, and hopefully the player who did it received a punishment that helped educate him.

8. vlaurelio

so why are you adding them to the conversation on how Lin handled it? it wasn't for the asian community

Lin getting a personal apology does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the asian community

9. vlaurelio

LOL again about LIn. No we won't get to an NBA team because he's not good enough.

10. yoeddy

I've been following all the coverage of the violence against Asian-Americans in the media as it is a subject very important to me. Just saying that Lin's approach to addressing the issues is in-line with the way other leaders in the community are handling it.

Again, I would have personally approached it differently, but I can respect and see the logic in Lin's approach.

11. yoeddy

Again, that was speculation on my part. And yes, I've posted a week or two ago that I don't think Lin will get an NBA offer because his athleticism has declined too much.

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

Love how Lin’s attitude here is the same as on the b-ball court . Timid and not assertive. Someone just said something racist to you and you handle it privately ?

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I read everything and appreciate your stance as an Asian-American.

I'll reiterate I just don't like it. Jeremy has a voice and he didn't use it. I hate what we are seeing in society today and this doesn't make him a role model. The guy who said it is trash imo.

Gimme Yao. I don't dislike Jeremy I just don't think he's transparent. He doesn't owe us that but that's my take

vlaurelio likes this.
  14. yoeddy

Lin has absolutely been using his voice on this. He's been making statements in significant coverage on this topic on all the major networks (Nightline on ABC, a big feature on NBC, interview with Don Lemon on CNN, etc). And Dave Roberts (GM of the Dodgers) has cited Lin as his inspiration for also speaking out on the subject. Maybe you don't pay as much attention to this subject as I do, but I see Lin using his voice about this pretty much every day. If anything, I think Lin sometimes uses his fame as a basis for a platform to talk about issues so much that it's been detrimental to his basketball career...that it brings too much baggage that teams don't want to deal with.

I love Yao, but Yao is not Asian-American. When Shaq made that whole ching-chong comment, Yao brushed it off even though it would have helped Asian-Americans raise awareness of being on the wrong end of those kinds of comments for decades. I don't blame Yao for not taking a stronger stand on that...I understand that he did not grow up with the same experiences that we Asian-Americans had to endure with that kind of thing.

#314 yoeddy, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    foh likes this.
  15. yoeddy

FYI - here's a clip from the NBC News report on violence against Asian-Americans where Jeremy talks about his experiences including stuff from his youth and what happened in the G-League:

Worth a listen if you're really interested in this topic IMHO.

Btw - I shared this clip with it starting at Jeremy's segment. Jeremy's segment is only 5 minutes, but the whole 52 minute piece is excellent...so maybe you'll want to listen to the whole thing when you get a chance.

16. yoeddy

Here's Lin's recent PSA (in partnership with Bleacher Report) using his voice and his platform to raise awareness about the violence against Asian-Americans:

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lin always seems to find a way to seek media attention and sympathy with vague claims of abuse directed at him. If someone called him 'coronavirus' then report it and request an investigation -- if you must have a news conference or release a statement name the player so the person can defend himself or apologize.

JumpMan and J.R. like this.
  18. yoeddy

There was an investigation...the player already met with Lin and had the opportunity to apologize.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin can cure people of racism

haven't you heard?

20. yoeddy

You guys are really letting your hatred for Lin distract from the important issue being raised.