1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Lin was under recruited being Taiwanese American in a sport dominated by white and black athletes.

Having said that, how many basketball players with similar accolades as Jeremy Lin were offered division one scholarships in California?

2. adoo

adoo Member

just the facts, JLin was never recruited.

and to your question,

Richard Chang, a Taiwanese American, a 6'6' small forward, was Section player of the year at Edison High in Huntington Beach, CA.
    Calif gave him a scholarship, was never more than a bench warmer there. He then played for Taiwan in the Olympics,
    also played professionally in Taiwan. he is now the Sr VP of International Operations for Costco​

#702 adoo, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Clutch

Petition to move all Lin threads to D&D or unsorted.

4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I'm also going to guess that Lin wanted to go to a strong-academic college...so there may have been CA colleges interested in him that he didn't pursue because they weren't a strong enough academic school.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I understand he wasn't recruited, but that does not mean that he wasn't recruited because he was Asian.... I am curious how many other basketball players regardless of race, with the same accomplishments were recuited.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter because Lin did end up playing in the NBA and did so for many years..... although from what he has said, I get the sense a lot of times he just wishes he could have been just another NBA player and not a media sensation.

tinman likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

ur just being argumentative.

7. adoo

adoo Member

he'd have gone to any Div 1 school in Calif.
    his plan was to play college ball and then graduate school
    obviously, u don't know much about about the universities in Calif.

#707 adoo, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  8. yoeddy

My dad was an associate professor at Stanford for 3 years and was also a lecturer at Cal Tech. Have extended family that went to USC and friends who went to Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, and others. So very familiar with universities in California. Lin was interested in Stanford and Berkeley...and Ivy League schools like Harvard. Probably not going to be interested in schools like Pepperdine, LMU, UC Davis, San Diego State etc.

KingCheetah and Nook like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin is a circus show not a basketball player anymore. He has ALWAYS been about his brand since he got famous. I know this for a fact.
    And I have met Yoeddy's idol like 3 times and so have other Clutchfans I know personally.

The public persona is one thing and the real person is another, this goes for anyone famous.
    And I have seen his psychotic fans in person too.

I have no problem with Lin capitalizing on his fame and making more money. I have an issue with his fans constantly ruining our discussion board with the same crap over and over again. Yes it's true, many of Lin fans left, but 1 is too many.

@Zboy

10. Nook

Nook Member

Really?

How is that possibly being argumentative.......

11. adoo

adoo Member

u obviously don't know much about these schools.

FWIW,

UC Davis is the world's #1 university for agriculture and wine-making, w UC Riverside as the #2​

12. yoeddy

I know enough to know that someone targeting Stanford, Berkeley and Harvard isn't going to be interested in those schools. Can you imagine an Asian-American family choosing UC Davis over Harvard? To play basketball? For a degree in agriculture or wine-making? That's crazy-talk.

13. yoeddy

...and btw - what list are you looking at that has UC Davis as global #1 in agriculture? Most lists I've seen has Cornell at #1. And yes, Lin would have chosen Cornell over UC Davis.

14. adoo

adoo Member

not really, YaoMing is into wine-making

15. yoeddy

Did Yao Ming need to get a degree in wine-making to be successful at it?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: Lin was voted the Metro POTY by the SF Chronicle ... a metro newspaper award. https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Palo-Alto-s-Jeremy-Lin-becomes-toast-of-New-York-3165399.php

I know that ESPN article you are quoting, but they didn't provide any links. But at least I can understand you and adoo's confusion about him being State POTY, as Lin facts are often hard to discern from the myths.

fwiw: I've yet to find a Mr Basketball Finalist list that had more than 5 players...although I can't find the 2006 list. (Maybe there was only 7 Sections in CIF then, and each were auto-Finalists?) I'm mainly curious (not to prove the ESPN article wrong), but to see what other CIF Sectional POTY and Mr Basketball Finalist might not have received scholarships from Stanford or UCLA.

There was probably a lot of disbelief of potential due to race for Lin, for sure.

yoeddy likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Oh hell nah, wtf is this thread doing on the 1st page of the Dish?

Roomba, Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  18. yoeddy

apparently it’s popular...

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, we aren't talking about Mike Montgomery recruiting Jeremy Lin anymore, right?
    And we aren't calling Jeremy Lin "the California BB player of the year" anymore, right?

Now that we established that, and I (for the third time) am going to agree that likely Lin's potential was underrecruited due to disbeliefs from race, can I go now?

correct. so?

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Heard Lin is making a comeback, dude is done though. That knee injury pretty much ended his career from what I've seen from him before/after. He was a legit 6th man for good teams, average starter for mediocre teams before he blew up his knee.

He might be able to end up the 9th/10th man on a rotation. Although he couldn't do that in Toronto and looked pretty bad, I didn't watch him play in China so his athleticism might have recovered a bit but idk he's getting older on top of that too..