1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin Appreciation Thread, Rockets 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Second_Cousin, May 18, 2013.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'll go look now

2. King1

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I could only make it through about 4 pages before mailing it in.

We do disagree on Blake Griffin though. I think he's the most overrated player in the NBA

3. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

No, Lin is just an excuse. I have always wanted to for a decade but has refrained because I love b-ball posting too much and would interfere with my work. I came reading a lot around 2001 and came once in a while later. I'm taking a long holiday therefore I decided to finally sign up.

It is supposed to be, and it was, one of the very best forums for bball; left me quite disappointed with "the Hate" but it's alright, it has passed. I might be gone soon after the holidays.
    You are right. I found the term very confusing at first but came to understand it. The thing is, language is created by people using it. If enough people are using it, there must be some meaning to it. I find it quite funny and useful.
    That's cool. You are pointing out his flaws as a young player but how about his strength?

Well, I guess you're not really understanding the term. You don't have to really filled with hatred or anything. The fact that you spend a lot of time concentrating on the negatives of someone makes you one. It is not a specific term.

Yes but it really isn't that bad. It is within reason and could be reasoned away instead of being real negative about it.

That's just your opinion, exactly. Fact is we don't know, some people think maybe it's gonna be this, some people think that, who knows? Fans overrating their young players is perfectly normal. Again, hating isn't healthy. You are saying you don't know but you sound pretty sure and you seem to think people who don't hold the same opinion are bad.
    Again, I am not a big fan of this earlier-than-thou thing. It is ridiculous to say someone who joins at a certain date is this or that. It isn't what a good message board supposed to be. Talk about basketball, not join dates.

A fan trolling the board??? That's probably the crux of the matter and where all this hate comes from. Fans are enthusiastic to be able to join such a community and talk and enjoy. Just because they overrate the player they like doesn't mean they are trolling. Maybe they just found out about basketball or the Rockets but it is certainly wrong to assume that they are here to troll. Educate them, not alienate. Make this place an intelligent forum, not flaming people.
    That's fine. Well, we just dealt with a racist yesterday. They are everywhere and would come up any time anonymously.

Again, support the players, or call it as it is, that's what true fans do.

4. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I'd be impressed if Burke could put up 14 and 6 on 44% shooting while playing alongside a ball dominant guard. Not impressed because those numbers are particularly impressive, but because this draft class is considered the weakest in years and for a guy who most analysts think MIGHT be a starting caliber point guard, it would be impressive if he put up those numbers with a comparable scenario of Lin's. If he would this next year, then yes I would take Burke over Lin, especially with his rookie contract.

5. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Did you watch Michigan in the NCAA this year? Trey Burke is gonna light it up in the NBA. But why is this even a discussion? Unless the Rockets move James Harden, they will not move up to a spot where they can draft Burke. He will likely pair with Anthony Davis to create a nice PG/Big Man combo in New Orleans.

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Jeremy Lin is awesome. Just wanted to throw that in since this is a Jeremy Lin appreciation thread...haha.

7. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

Song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ybirL3EtMb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NBA Promo
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R3YH6qQ2gOg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rockets
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IBZ6TmgRoZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeremy Lin 6 mins
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i2jVY1mavr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p
    Let's Try . Hope You enjoy it.

8. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

Oh sorry this is real version from NBA

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_w9UfuiauYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. King1

I can't differenciate whether that's true or not so I'll take you on your word.

Still is. The frustration goes both ways

I find it sad. It's not purposeful nor amusing. Just another blanket term that supports idiocy

His strengths are going to the basket and playing off the pick and roll. Unfortunately he rarely utilizied those this season

And I don't care to. I'm not 13 year old girl or a dude white knighting a professional athlete.

Yeah it is. There's no logical reasoning behind it

"Hating" again? I'm losing interest pretty quickly in this conversation

That all depends on connotation

Many people are beyond "education". Especially in the Jeremy Lin faction. Like I've mentioned many times, a dissenting opinion is met with anger and ludicrous comparisons. Why bother?

10. King1

So let me get this staright; weak draft analysts projections apply to Burke, correct? What about all the analysts who think Lin is a bad contract, NBA has figured him out, ect...? You're using excuses in one instance and not the other.

Figures. Burke can play and he's better then Jeremy Lin. So are half of the pgs in the NBA though

11. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

There aren't any serious analysts who think that anymore. Every serious analyst will tell you Lin is a starting caliber PG. His contract isn't exactly a bargain, but it's what your average NBA starting PG takes home. The question is whether he will get better, and feel free to hold your doubts on that.

Yes, Burke would probably be better if we could get him, at least if we're talking production per salary dollar, but that has 0 chance of happening so there's no point for you to have brought it up here.

12. King1

Yeah but so is Raymond Felton (I use his name because those two are contantly tied together). I prefer Lin, but their production is similar and Felton is a whole lot cheaper. How I look at it is can Lin be a starting PG on a contender? I say no but I could be wrong. I think he'll improve his shot but I think on a championship team he's a 6th man.

I'm not the first person to bring up Burke but that's fair. There's also no point in a Jeremy Lin appreciation thread for his performance last season though.

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks, I'm gonna buy the record.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Appreciation threads are created when the guys we appreciate are gone.....So, Lin got traded!!!!???? Oh, 2012'er, doesn't understand the board....

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

Lin played BETTER as the season went on, not worse. His best month was April, wasn't it? So if the league had him figured out, they let him play better for some bizarre reason.

As for Raymond Felton, he's also older and is unlikely to get any better, whereas Lin has a lot of room for learning and improvement. Felton also has weight issues that may catch up to him soon.

16. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

Lim should play more selfishly.

17. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

First, you do realize that was the NCAA, right? Every NBA player lights it up in college. Even Lin did. Granted, Burke did lead his team to the championship game. But I'm just saying the level of competition in this NCAA class was pretty low. Just because Burke put up better stats in college to what Lin did in the NBA , doesn't mean Burke is automatically better than Lin. Second, the Hornets already have Vazquez. No way they drop him after the season he's had to draft a rookie in a weak draft class.

I think Orlando will take him with the 2nd pick, and he'll get a chance to really show what kind of starter he can be, as Orlando doesn't really have a point guard. I'm a big fan of Burke's and I do hope and think he can be a capable starter, and even if he averages 14 and 6 in Orlando I'd say thats good for him.

18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Well most analysts who have watched most of the Rockets season and not just the playoffs will agree that he has a reasonable contract. His production level is basically at par with what a non-rookie PG makes with similar production. And I'm pretty sure the Rockets gave him that contract more for potential. If Lin could put up like 16 and 7 in his final year while maintaining or increasing his shooting percentages and improving his defense, which I think he is very capable of doing, I think he is well worth the contract. I could actually see him doing that next year.

Look I like Burke he was my fave college player this past year. But you just cannot automatically proclaim an incoming rookie PG from a very weak draft class who has limitations and risks of his own better than an NBA starter who put up pretty decent numbers given his scenario and youth. Especially when he was on an upward trend the whole year. Granted, Lin also has his fair share of limitations.

Maybe Burke goes to Orlando and pulls a Damian Lillard and becomes a top 10 PG next year. Who knows I just think you should wait for him to actually do it before proclaiming he's already better than Lin.

Btw Lin is an average NBA STARTER. I would rank him at about 18-25 at the minimum. Since there are about 70-75 point guards in the NBA, no not half of the NBA point guards are better. And considering how deep the position of point guards is, Lin is still a top 75 player IMO.

19. King1

i think the reason he played better was because he played with more confidence. The league knows what Lin is. Outside of stopping Harden, who else do people have to game plan for on offense? Parsons and Lin.

I prefer Lin over Felton. I said that in my post. Just saying you're getting very similar production for a fraction of the cost. Lin definitely has more upside but that's all predicated on him working on his jumper in the offseason

20. King1

I would disagree if we're basing it soley off what Lin produced last year. You could plug a variety of guys into the starting role and get similar production for a fraction of the cost. I do agree that the contract was based on his upside though. We will see what he does next season. He's got good work ethic so I assume he will put in the time to improve his jumper and mid range game.

It happens every year. Incoming rookies are going to be better then starters. Burke is a better player then Lin. I think most rational people would agree. If you dropped Lin in this draft he wouldn't be picked ahead of Burke.

He's not a Lillard type player. Not his game. He'll likely average 17-19 ppg and 7 assists throughout his career while shooting around 44% and 37% from 3 point range.

Lin is nowhere near a top 75 NBA player