1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin Appreciation Thread, Rockets 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Second_Cousin, May 18, 2013.

1. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

I think a thread like this is long overdue, especially given the rabid hate that exists on this site at the moment. Lin did not contribute in the playoffs because of injury and when he was on the floor, he was a non-factor. That has been discussed ad nauseum by now.

However, fans here either have very short memories or very selective memories. Lin was a major contributor through the season to help the Rox get into the playoffs. Harden is Harden, he'll get his production and be a dominant force in nearly every game. Win, lose, or draw, he's the one constant. But recognize that when Lin plays well, many of the games this past year weren't just wins, they were blowouts.

I will be the first to say that I was disappointed by Lin this season mainly because of his inconsistency and his timidity. He is unselfish to a fault. I think he played reactionary... reactionary to some of the talk back in NY last year that he was too ball dominant and at the same time buying in (perhaps too much) on McHale's instructions to be a facilitator first. 6+ assists a game is not bad considering he only plays PG part of the time, people here lose sight of that. No one asks why Mario Chalmers doesn't lead the league in assists with the big 3 in Miami!

I have no doubt Lin will work hard this offseason, shoot a million jumpers, work on his floater, and learning to play off the ball. I anticipate a "bounce-back" year from him next year, either as the starter or as the 6th man (if the organization wants to go in that direction).

But for now, for those with the short memories, Lin's very good games this year, and there were plenty of them:

21 / 7 / 10 against ATL second game of season
    16 / 10 against Tor at home (dominated against Lowry's return)
    19 / 8 against UTA at home
    38 / 7 against SA at home
    22 / 9 against NYK at MSG
    18 / 6 against PHI at home
    15 / 11 against MEM at home (blowout win)
    20 / 11 against CHI on Christmas
    21 / 8 against SA (close game but loss)
    16 / 8 against ATL at home (remember the block on JSmoove?)
    20 / 5 against CLE (Kyrie going nuts but Lin played critical D on him in final mins)
    19 / 5 against LAL at home (Kobe: "I don't know why he always has good games against us")
    19 / 4 against DAL (blew up in 4th Q, but fell short)
    22 / 5 against DEN (close game but another lost at mile high)
    28 / 9 against GS (record tying game, outplayed Curry)
    16 / 4 against POR (finally beating POR)
    14 / 10 against GS in GS (and zero TO)
    29 / 7 against OKC at home (outplayed Westbrook, 2 critical 3's in final min)
    21 / 9 against DAL (finally beating DAL)
    24 / 8 against MIN (huge comeback)
    24 / 6 against UTA
    19 / 11 against ORL at home
    15 /10 against SAC at SAC
    22 / 8 against POR at POR (outplayed Lillard)
    23 / 8 against DEN (loss but quite frankly the only one who showed up)

The idea that Lin is a scrub is outrageous. Lin has shown he can play very well in this league. I look forward to his being more consistent next year and hopefully there will be twice as many performances as the ones above.

1 person likes this.
  2. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

So tantalizingly close to that elusive triple double! He'll get there again someday, I think everyone here knows it.

3. 95Rockets

95Rockets Member

I appreciated Lin this season.

The guy may have played poorly during many games but the guy has the best intent for his team. He wants to play well so his team wins.

Kudos to Jeremy Lin.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

In b4 the lock.
    The only thing clutch hates more than Lin hate threads is LOF threads.

Pollyanna? Kumbaya?
    Or just a positive tone?

Good effort on compiling those stats. They make him look like an All star.
    Remember, that's only 25 games out of 82.

I was disappointed in his season and he certainly didn't play up to my expectations, but there were occasional flashes of brilliance as depicted in the OPs stats. There is hope, especially shooting 40% from beyond the arc in the second half of the season. I expect him to perform better next season and will support him because he deserves that after inspiring me with his play during Linsanity and getting me to love basketball again.

5. SexyButIgnorant

I do not appreciate Jeremy Lin. I am a racist.

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

but but you registered in 2013...makes no sense :eek:

7. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Like I said I was disappointed as well, because I thought these types of games would be the norm rather than the exception. But 25 games or roughly a third of the season is not insignificant considering the Rox only made the playoffs by a game and, more importantly, with the way the haters are out these past couple of weeks, you would think Lin was Brian Scalabrine this season.

This is not a LOF thread. I've never said Lin was a HOF, a Tony Parker/Steve Nash clone, or perhaps even a future All-star. But that is very different from posters who say he is an absolute zero or that even they can beat him one on one at the playgrounds.

1 person likes this.
  8. zdrav

zdrav Member

If Lin was important enough to be a reason for the team losing in the playoffs, then he was important enough to be a reason for the team succeeding in the regular season.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

You're fricken hilarious too.

Attention seeker. GTFO!

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yep, you're right. 25 games is significant and perspective is everything.

11. platypus

platypus Member

I look forward to Jeremy becoming more consistent. If this summer works out and we sign a top tier free agent all Jeremy has to do is develop a consistent jump shot.

It's silly to think that Lin will become an All-Star, realistic expectations are a 16/7 point guard who can hit the open jumper.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

No doubt that Lin's got the work ethic to be better.

I also believe that he and Harden can work through whatever compatibility issues they have and together, they can become the best guard combo in the league.

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

13. pnr

pnr Member

Too many people obsessed with lin, whether it be lofs or haters. He had a solid albeit inconsistent year but started to become consistent in the second half, and thats a good sign. Barring injury hes gonna improve.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Never seen so much hype and so many threads for a mediocre player.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

You're right. I thank you Clutch for providing this forum.
    I have been thoroughly LINTERTAINED!

16. micactus

micactus Member

Where is the hype in this thread, armchair GM?

17. wapz

wapz Member

thanks for the thread. much appreciated!

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Thanks for the thread, I'm already looking forward to next season.

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Now make one for Yi.

20. Vienna Calling

Lin seems to have a great character, a great work ehtic and seems to be a great teammate BUT...

#34 among PGs in PER
    #18 among PGs in APG
    #17 among PGs in PPG

...at over $8M per year just doesn't cut it in my eyes.