1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin and Pat Bev will alternate starts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Posted this in the game thread, but fits here too:

Jeremy Lin exit interview last season:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIM6xXwtl_0

"Do you care if you come of the bench, do you care about that"

JL: "Uh, yeah. I think everybody does."

"Would you be opposed to them saying, hey, we'd maybe like to see you come off the bench next season"

JL: "It depends. I don't think your role is limited to starting or coming off the bench, it just depends on what your role is while you play, and how you play, and you can look at what jarret jack has done.. it just depends"

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Howard does need post ups, and Lin can do that better than Bev.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The difference is Yao was the best center in the NBA and a top 10 player, Nobody disputed that. Yao was the Dwight Howard of the team, Lin is not the TMac of the team that's harden.

I like Lin and think he's a good player, he will help the team. Wether its coming of the bench or starting he's going to play alot and be a key to our success. The thing that gets me about some of these fans is that they will say things out of spite. For example someone said harden is the best fit for the bench? Really!!! That's the most obsurd thing I have ever heard. Sure lets put our best player who's one of the top 10 best players in the league and put him on the bench, he can score even easier against the 2nd unit. While we're at it why don't we tell pat Riley are new secrete and tell him he should put Lebron James on the bench because even though he's the best player on the planet he would be even better going against the 2nd unit.

This is getting out of hand I don't care if you love Lin and want he to succeed, I do too. Make your cases for why he fits with harden and Howard better show me the data. I like to read that stuff, but please stop putting down our best player because he's a wing player who like Lebron and Durant demands the ball more than anyone else.

1 person likes this.
  4. hbomb

hbomb Member

I think anyone with a brain would vomit at the idea of Harden coming off the bench. That makes zero sense. I think that post/thread was sarcasm...if not...that's ridiculous.

5. treeman

treeman Member

I want to trade Lin right now. Just to get rid of his fans.

6. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Its not just about Post ups... its also about getting your bigs in the best position possible to score, may it be post ups or not... when lin throws the ball on the post... a lot of times the big is already in the position to score (turn around hook shot, dunk, pass to assist etc.) when harden and bev throws the ball to the post... the big has to decide whether to score or pass... this will not work with dwight... the ball should not be in his hands for more than 3-4 seconds else it will be a turnover...

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see how Lin plays now when he's starting again next game. He looks like such a better player than last year.

I like McHale alternating like this.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Let me ask you this: Can Lin take it like a man (yes/no)?

9. gengar

gengar Member

I don't mind Lin coming off the bench as long as he gets more minutes than Beverly. The only reason Beverly has that defense spark and aggression is because of his limited minutes...he can't handle a 30+ min game and expect to contribute much to a team

As I've said before, Lin needs Howard and Howard needs Lin. Why? Howard can actually catch & finish, while Lin is way above league average in terms of PnR ranking. Howard can get a lot of points from Lin's passes. Harden can save his energy, play off the ball, and score just as much points with another method. There's no reason Harden can't average 25+ points without handling the ball. It will also help him on the defensive end too.

Lin controlling the ball, Harden scoring heavy points (while playing defense), Beverly coming off the bench to provide defense spark, and Howard playing off Lin is the most optimal imo.

It's either that, or Beverly starting, iso Harden all game, with Howard trying to post up with his lack of offensive skillset

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

CC: c_parsons69@gmail.com

1 person likes this.
  11. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

As others have mentioned, he was not talking about racism. You brought up that word, not him. This quote below is what it's all about.

"Even though Lin went on to star at Harvard, even though he impressed me every time I watched him in high school and college, even though he had a memorable summer league duel against Wall, more than holding his own as an undrafted rookie against the No. 1 pick of the draft, I wasn't at all surprised when no one thought he had much of a chance to succeed in the NBA. I knew on some level that part of the reason Lin was so quickly dismissed was that NBA people had a hard time believing that an Asian-American could play point guard in the NBA, which is why I'm kicking myself -- I didn't question the conventional wisdom even though it didn't go along with what I saw with my own eyes."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/phil_taylor/02/10/jeremy.lin/index.html#ixzz2hNf3sXEF

12. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I think he answered how he feels about coming off the bench. In what way was that unclear?

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, so he doesn't like it. Let him take it like a man. I assume his faith will sustain him too.

14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

No one would like being demoted. It seems fairly clear that he does not think being a high minutes 6th man is the same as being demoted. So it depends on what his role is. That should be pretty clear once the season starts.

15. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

This is a good idea, they've got a few more games to see whatever trends form.
    As of the very short sample of 2 pre-season games it looks like

-Pat did great in the starting lineup cuz Harden handled all the playmaking.
    His role was clear; play defense and hit those jumpshots. He did it.
    -The bench thrived having JLin as their floor captain. They need a playmaker as well and that is not Pat's strength. Thats why the Pelicans game got ugly.

So it looks good for now, however it'll be interesting to see;

-If Howard still gets as many touches without JLin in there. He only got 9pts. in the 2nd game and they didnt run the pick n roll much..if at all. Something they did a lot in the first game.
    While Harden is the main playmaker he's still gonna be trying to get his first as he should tbh cuz he gets buckets.
    -If Harden's improved defense wont take a hit from having to play PG&SG. And if Pat can maintain that suffocating defense against starting PG opponents for 30+ min.

One thing is clear, managing all these position overlapping minutes is gonna drive the coaching staff crazy, but its a good problem to have cuz of all the talent :p

16. deshen

deshen Member

Whoever can deliver ball to DH12 will get the starting pos. This team need to get the ball to him. Mission was not accomplish in the last two games.

17. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

i dont get what all the whining is about. we have a deep team with two good pgs...we should be celebrating not complaining. whoever starts is a secondary issue.

18. langal

langal Contributing Member

Yes his first job is to score - as well it should be because he is damn good at it. Then he probably shouldn't be the defacto point guard. I'd rather have him be the best shooting guard in the league than a rich man's brandon jennings. I don't care who starts. I just don't think having a point guard who does nothing but take spot-up 3s is the way to go. Apparently, neither does the coaching staff. Only some ppl on this board.