1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin a goner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 5, 2013.

1. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

How about a PG who shot 38% from 3 point land after the All-star break, is young, elite at the pick and roll, above average on defense, athletic, good at attacking the rim, and has upside? Oh wait....

1 person likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think Lin's fine in terms of 3 point shooting. The issue is that he's a PnR player on a team where the big doesn't like PnRs. And he's making $8mil. He would be worth it if Howard just decide to play the PnR all day long, but not if he's standing around even more because we're playing the post up game.

Among the PGs potentially available, Calderon seems like the optimal fit assuming the salary isn't too high. Otherwise, I'm not exactly feeling it on the likes of Teague or Vazquez. Those to me seem like lateral moves. While Calderon is a much better fit.

3. LiveEatSleepRox

Lin can drive and dish to Howard, making him a pretty suitable PG for our new big in the middle. The problem is, the one who'll have the ball and drive 9/10 is going to be Harden and not Lin.

I don't see Beverly being starter material, as his playstyle and energy is more of a 'off the bench' spark plug type.

So if they find a medium of Lin/Harden starting with the ball possessions, whilst allowing Howard enough touches to keep him happy it'll be perfect 1-2 punch with our backcourt (providing Lin's shooting remains consistent and as good as the latter half of last season).

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Above 40% would be better than pretty good it would be great. 43% is pretty much out of the question in my opinion, but I guess you can dream.

5. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You are right, I think Lins assist will go up at least two a game from having Howard. One of Lins strengths is getting big mean easy shots and with Howard being great at finishing around the rim they will be a great match. I Hope Lin stays.

6. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Actually the NBA had quietly been losing traction since YAO left the NBA and the Chinese Basketball League has grown. It wasn't til Jeremy Lin hit the scene that it revitalized global and Chinese interest in the NBA.

We are in a world where there are other growing basketball leagues now and you see international players from all over the world now being regularly drafted or lured to play in the NBA now.

The age of YAO is part of Rocket Lore and History - not the reason why companies are interested and new fans are being made.

7. jackycool

jackycool Member

If he's ~40% 3pt shooting for the entire year that is not just pretty good, that's pretty much the gold standard.

I hope he can do 48/38/82. If he can do that next season that would be a huge step up.

8. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Whether I like him or not, I am excited that this board is not going to be destroyed by Lin threads next year.

9. conquistador#11

10. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

True this...if Howard intimated that he wants Lin to stay, he's stays unless we find a major upgrade (which Calderon or Jack is not), and he's required in the S/T with Smith (unlikely)

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Jose Calderon please.

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

So much this.

As a fan who followed Lin here, and one who will stay even after Lin is gone, I have to really agree.

13. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

And is Lin is only averaging 12pt/gm as the 5th option next year, I don't wanna hear from anyone that he's not playing up to his contract...if he's shooting 45/38 or better, with 7 asts/gm, than no one should be dissing him

14. RocketPowerNick

Lin makes his center's look best.

He's not getting traded.

1 person likes this.
  15. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Jeff Van Gundy on ESPN just said JLin is underrated (as opposed to overrated during Linsanity) and he will do very well with Dwight on the PNR.

16. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Calderon is currently getting 11MIL. a season. He will certainly ask for more. He is 31. Probably good for two years, if you want and can pay the price. Maybe we can get Raymond Felton he only goes for about 4MIl. and we all know how well he did with the Knicks- 13 PPG 5 APG and played big minnutes.

17. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Lin is the dominant center's best friend

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

JVG just agreed on sports center that Lin will play great with Howard. He said that Lin is now underrated.

19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

What? You do realize that Harden was the player most often utilizing the P&R on our team last year right? What do you mean Howard doesn't like the P&R? It's one of his most effective weapons. Now if you want to post him up all game long... He's not Yao or Duncan or Pau Gasol. He's maybe a better version of Tyson Chandler in terms of offensive production (esp. considering that Chandler is a great free throw shooter for a big man) and that's it.

20. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

48% is elite shooting for a PG. I'd say he can do 45-46%