1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jefferies - Overpaid How ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmav23, May 8, 2010.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Is Jefferies overpaid???--- Of course he is. But he could be a valuable player for us next year defensively. he is one of three players on our roster that can do everything defensively, and Battier really showed that he is declining fast last year. Jefferies also led the league in charges taken last year, that says alot right there. In 2011, when he becomes a free agent, he could probably be resigned for dirt cheap if we prove to him that he will have a role on a contending team.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You think he should be dismembered?

1 person likes this.
  3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I do not care he is overpaid, I just hope somehow Rox will trade him, that team subsequently payout his contract and Rox sign him up for peanuts. Having him and Hayes on the team in low contracts will never go wrong.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

It's funny how you respond to my questions with pictures of kids crying or questions of your own. I guess you can't backup your claims with facts. Lets try this again and hopefully this time you won't cop out.

You said that I have an inability to grasp advanced statistics, right?

Please tell me what it is about advanced statistics that you would like to discuss.

What software do you use in analyzing statistics and in coming to your conclusions?

This is a pretty basic question. I'm sure you can answer it.

Here's one of your outlandish statements that you failed to provide any evidence for:

Where is your evidence?

I'm still waiting for you to post your regression models and other computations so that we can see if there's any truth to this.

Here's another provocative statement that is related to the one above that you did not backup in any way, shape, or form:

You make a bold claim and provide no evidence at all to support it. Remember, the burden of proof is on you. If you can't backup your claim, it's baseless.

When challenged and questioned about such statements, you try and weasel your way out of providing evidence by conveniently stating:

If this is the case, how the hell can you make the two statements above?

It becomes blatantly obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Since you want to recommend books for me, here's one for you:

Elementary Statistics

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Statistics-11th-Mario-Triola/dp/0321500245

Also, this link might be helpful to you as well:

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/elementary-concepts-in-statistics/

I know you have a tendency to get irrational and emotional when it comes to Shane Battier, which is curious because you imply that you're extremely knowledgeable about advanced statistics. Instead of getting mad or upset, you should take a step and take a deep breath. Instead of posting one-liners, pictures, and smileys, provide some evidence to support you position. I'm sure once you examine things objectively, you'll see that Battier is overpaid and over-hyped.

5. Kwame

Lol, how did I miss this piece of dishonest "evidence" Lol, is this the best you can do? I added the years so everybody can easily see your sophistry.

In 2004-05, the year before the Rockets went 34-48 (not 36-46), they WON over 50 games. The only reason they had a poor record and were in the lottery the following season is because Yao and McGrady both missed significant time with injuries. You're trying to correlate an increase of 18 wins from the 2005-06 season to the 2006-07 to the arrival of Battier. That's absolutely ridiculous. The Rockets almost identically duplicated the same record and same level of success as they did in 2004-05 (without Battier) as they did in 2006-07. Thus, the increase in wins had very little to do with Battier joining the team. It was a result of McGrady being healthy and Yao being available down the stretch run of the season. You fail miserably, knote32.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could it be that once again you are angry for something else, and you are taking it out on me?

[​IMG]

I posted all kinds of evidence in my last (That you ungracefully ignored) while also giving you plenty of references to find out for yourself. I am not going to write out the entire statistical model for the endless reasons that Shane Battier types are valueable. There have been entire chapters of books devoted to such. Daryl Morey's word, should be enough. Until you do the reading, it's like communicating with Mt. Mutombo.

Here is a good reference on Shane.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2009/11/9/1109331/chris-ballard-provides-in-depth

"Few players are as interesting as Shane Battier, and thus, people just keep wanting to write about him. Chris Ballard of Sports Illustrated has dedicated a chapter of his new book, entitled The Art of a Beautiful Game, to picking Battier's brain. I was able to obtain an advanced free copy of the book, and enjoyed reading it very much. While it's no masterpiece of any sort, the book accomplishes its goal of educating the reader on the mundane and often overlooked aspects of professional basketball. I found it to be as interesting as any basketball book I've read, and the Battier chapter was no different."

crustyjack and tmoney1101 like this.
  7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

1. False, You are the one that said that.

Again:
    A. Basketball is a team sport.
    B. Circumstance.

2. David Wesley and Bob Sura and others were replaced valiantly, by the no-stats allstar.

3. Debateable, Basketball is a team sport, and Shane was a gigantic piece to our success. McGrady should worship him daily for never having to play any defense...

8. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Guys i feel asleep reading the love letters between you two

just admit you were wrong....

I declare this thread closed....

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

For once, I somewhat agree with you.

You two posters need to relax.

This thread is about Jefferies; if you really want to hash out Shane Battier in all his glory, start a new thread.

10. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Did you just say start a new thread ? gives me an idea ...

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

... gives you the idea to ask someone who can start threads to start a new thread about Battier?

12. Kwame

Lol, you make all kinds of crazy claims and your entire "argument" is based on somebody's word. That is absolutely laughable. You have to be able to provide some advanced statistical evidence to support your wild positions. I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't have any. You won't even tell me what kind of software you use in analyzing statistics and in coming to your conclusions. I can't take you seriously, because you have no idea what you're talking about. Knote32 you're a charlatan.

13. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

My first thoughts exactly. Jefferies and Isiah - same college.

14. crustyjack

crustyjack Member

Kwame, your rebuttal is faulty, and your retorts sound as if they came from someone who went [​IMG]

Full r****d.

Thread closed, knote32 for the win!

1 person likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Along with many leather bound books, videos, and other media. Your only reference being the "standard boxscore"...
    At Least I'm Housebroken.

16. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Only the Thread Creator can delcare threads close.

I declare Kmav23 the winner !!!

Thread Closed....

No more post please

17. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

^^^^^^ time has come, lock it up

18. Kwame

Stop ducking and dodging, and answer the questions.

What kind of software do you use in analyzing statistics and in coming to your conclusions?

I'm still waiting on the advanced statistics that demonstrate, according to you, that "Shane Battier puts up comparable numbers to all-stars." Show me the models. Show me the computations. Show me the algorithms. Can we at least get a z-score from you? Where is the advanced statistical evidence that you based your statement on?

These should be easy questions for a "sophisticated statistician" like yourself. I eagerly await your answers.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Beautiful...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273562940&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Moneyball-Art...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273562966&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Pr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273562990&sr=1-2
    http://www.amazon.com/Mathletics-Ga...atics-Basketball/dp/069113913X/ref=pd_sim_b_7

"I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

[​IMG]

20. Kwame

That's a cool picture and those are some cool links, but just kindly tell all of us what kind of software you use in analyzing statistics and coming to your conclusions.

Also, this is what you said earlier:

Please show all of us some of these advanced statistics that demonstrate that Shane Battier puts up comparable numbers to all stars

Just answer the questions.