1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy would be a great coach for...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hjg877, May 2, 2009.

1. hjg877

hjg877 Member

...Phoenix.

Somebody disprove my theory that he would be an excellent fit for that team.

My thoughts:
    • He's obviously known as a defensive coach (and a great one at that).

• His offense is seen by some (at least during his time with the Rockets) as stagnant and boring. However it was surely exciting at times ('05 playoff run for example). Everybody knows that a JVG offense is created by a JVG defense. And what team has better talent at running the break than Phoenix (even with the recent roster alterations)?

• Unlike Terry Porter, JVG wouldn't run defensive drills meant for 5-year-olds.
    Issues:
    • Phoenix is getting ooooold. Assuming no one gets traded, Phoenix may start 30-somethings in Nash, Shaq, and Hill. Can they still compete at a high level?

• Steve Kerr. That guy has made some big moves and costly gambles in his short time as GM. Bringing a guy like JVG on board would be an excellent hire, but one would have to expect more input on player personnel from the coach.

• Probably the biggest of all: Shaqitude. Shaq already HATES Stan. Personally I think JVG and SVG are distinctly different from each other. JVG would have a better relationship with his players, plus he also has successful experience with big-time centers (perhaps developing Yao isn't exactly a strong point).

2. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

JVG isn't a players coach, he demands 100%

do you think shaq gives 100% except in playoff games?

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

They are very similar. They yell a lot; they are either the best coach or the worst coach for the players. Both had success with big men, not just Jeff.

But...

You bring up a good point. Jeff might be a good coach for them.

Also, being 30 or over isn't an issue with Jeff. See: Charles Oakley, Rod Strickland, Charlie Ward, etc...

4. HombreDeHierro

but those guys weren't Shaq-level egos

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

A lot of players on the Suns team don't like playing defense though. What you're saying in theory sounds good, but in practice, JVG will go crazy trying to preach Nash and the likes to play D.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Hasn't JVG said repeatedly that he's waiting for his kid to go to college before he jumps back in? He strikes me as the type of guy that generally means what he says.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

Shaq is only one person on that team.

The other 30 year olds or older don't have that ego.

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

If anything, JVG is one of the best I've seen at managing superstar egos. The only coach I'd put ahead of him in that department is Phil Jackson.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

You look at some of the players; you say, of course. But... again, like I said in my first post in this thread...

Jeff is either the best coach you ever had or the worst coach.

Best Coach:
    Jon Barry
    Tracy McGrady

Worst Coach:
    Bonzi Wells
    Derek Anderson

Just a small example, but you get what I mean.

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I didn't say "best players' coach". I said, "best at managing superstar egos".

Wells and Anderson weren't superstars - in fact, they were failures, and neither is good enough to play in the NBA anymore.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I respect your opinion but, outside of McGrady, what primadonna superstar has he ever managed to rein in? Although he had an ego, I wouldn't put Sprewell into superstar category either.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

JVG has really killed the Suns this season for the way they treated Terry Porter and the way they don't commit on the defensive end. I don't think he'd ever coach them.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He'd be better off in Miami.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think JVG even wants the Suns job.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt JVG returns to coaching anytime soon.

16. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

He would be a great coach for most of the NBA teams, including Houston Rockets. Maybe he should take over the Bulls, to have them play disciplined defense. But I still like him better than Rick. Not hating on Rick or doubting his capabilities, just personal preference. I have so much respect and fondness for this short bald guy, and love his special sense of humor.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Does Sprewell have to choke somebody?

18. ty185

ty185 Member

has any of JVG's teams been a success in transitional offense? IIRC, JVG's defensive philosophy dictates that his team to:

1. get big men back to prevent fast break points after shot is up, in sacrifice of offensive rebound opportunities, and

2. securing defensive rebounds before allowing the guards to rush up court for fast breaks.

These are INTENTIONAL philosophical decisions and JVG's team seems to be willing to take the trade off, but these are REAL tradeoffs. I doubt a JVG team will automatically improve its defense without sacrificing some of its fast breaking efficiencies

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG would be a great coach for any team.

20. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

JVG is smart, he is going to bide his time and wait for the BEST CHANCE to win. I think he will wait until phil leaves or maybe for nate mcmillan to get fired in two or three years. he will go to a team where he can win a campionship