1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy Says Get Rid of The Fouling Out Rule

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shroopy2, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/05/jeff-van-gundy-would-like-the-nba-to-do-away-with-players-foulin/
    I think he makes some good points on how ticky tack fouls change the outcome of a game. And on how it puts more pressure on officials on deciding to know when to blow the whistle or swallow the whistle. Also its what gets players so pissed off on bad balls. Not only is it giving the other team points, but its the player knowing they're about to get put out the game.

I highlighted the 2nd bolded because, other than the usual anti-corporate sentiment, it only makes sense for NBA to use all the intelligence resources they can to make the game better. Especially those closest to it. Instead of doing things like trying to replace the basketballs with a whole new brand without the players consent or input.

Though in baseball once a player leaves the game they can't re-enter the game. More fouls can make the game uglier, more physical, more injuries. Seeing a free throw contest isnt any more fun than seeing good players on the bench.

Maybe they can allow more fouls, 2 more fouls a game each player. But instead of 5 fouls to get into the bonus, make it 3 fouls. So it still takes away reason to pummel people.

2. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

It would be great. It would force teams to actually play basketball rather than just trying to get a player into foul trouble.

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Getting players in foul trouble is a basketball strategy, it's part of the game just like pick roll and boxing out.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do you really wanna see Don Nelson filibusterer a game though?

1 person likes this.
  5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Sadly it changed when referees tries to control the game :eek:

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I agree with JVG on this one, he makes very good points. Just gotta make sure the refs still have the ability to toss players on flagrants and the like. Otherwise, I could care less if a player fouls 20 times. Play ball I say.

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The difference is that the refs have nothing to do with the pick and roll play and boxing out.

I remember the days when players would actually try to make a basket instead of trying to get a call.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Teams would just do hack-a-shaq from the start of the game, he'd shoot 100 FTs

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

exactly. i don't want to see don nelson does a hack a shaq tactic on guys who can't shoot fts the entire game. and he would if there is unlimited fouls.

10. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

Now watch JVG somehow get fined for this even though he isn't even in the league at the moment. :p

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think JVG is off his rocker on this one. Players must learn to defend without fouling. Simple as that.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly. This would mean no real punishment for Fouling continuously

Everytime you get your ankles broken . . you simply grab your man
    THAT WOULD BE FUN TO WATCH!!!

NOT!

Rocket River

13. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

14. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Sorry. Spoiler fail for me :grin:

[​IMG]

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't change the rules, fix the refs.

Fully 50% of what is called a foul in the NBA is negligible.

1 person likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ehh I can see both sides of it. Though maybe Mr. Stern should eliminate the Joe Crawfords of the world, or maybe make sure his refs get better training, or also maybe eliminate the ticky-tack touch fouls. Can't ask for too much though! Way off topic but Mr. Stern/NBA were suppose to try and help get rid of flopping by fining the players - didnt happen iIrc.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Beat me to it.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I say fine the players that has more than 7-8 fouls. Maybe give them a $50K fine per extra foul.

Also fine the refs $500 for every bad call after a post game review.

I'm sure dictator Sperm would at least give this idea some bit of thought. He loves some of them fines.

19. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

A) Games would last 4 hours. If players don't have to worry about fouling out, that's all the game would become, a foul-fest.

B) The best players don't usually foul out. When is the last time you remember Kobe or Lebron fouling out? It doesn't happen. It's just the opposite. They get superstar calls while the role players foul out or get the shaft in a judgement call that always go with the star player.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I would go with Battier's suggestion - if a player with more than six fouls commits a foul, then the team that got fouled gets two shots and the ball. That way, games wouldn't turn into foul-fests as doing so would ensure that you never got your hands on the ball, which is obviously bad.