1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy on Tanking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CDave, Apr 27, 2012.

1. CDave

CDave Member

From ESPN Van Gundy says........

On the strategy of losing to get better:

"We would never accept a player not trying hard. But we accept teams not trying hard. We accept owners telling GMs to tell coaches not to win. We're fine with that. But can you imagine if a coach ever instructed a player "hey, I don't want you to try hard tonight so we lose."

We invent this term called "tanking" when it's really cheating the fans, altering competition and I'm not OK with that. ... It's altering the outcome. It really is.

It undermines the very idea of competition."

On how the Bobcats became the worst team ever:

"Listen. Rich Cho in his sleep could pick better players than they had this year. But that's not the plan. Michael Jordan's plan is to be bad. To get as bad as possible. To try to hit a home run in the lottery and get good at the cheapest price. A lot of NBA owners agree with him.

And they'll totally disagree with what the Houston Rockets try to do, which is to be as good as they can possibly be every year while making sound, prudent decisions. They're ridiculed for that, like that is some horrible thing to actually do, which is try. ... That's how sick it is now."

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did he shout all that?

2 people like this.
  3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

yeah, exactly lol.

Interesting nonetheless

1 person likes this.
  4. Convictedstupid

Sure it wasn't Stephen A Smith?

2 people like this.
  5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that is exactly what alot fans here said. it's a smart strategy to get high picks.

1 person likes this.
  6. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

LOUD NOISES!

7. ashiin

ashiin Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

You do what you have to do to get better unfortunately. It's a very counter-intuitive process, but unless the process is changed, this is the manner in which the process will continue to be done to potentially try and get franchise players.

9. onreego

onreego Member

It's definitely warrants a degree of respect for what the Rockets are doing compared to a team that is purposely trying to tank. It really is a shame that that is the mentality of the league now but I'll have to agree with some that this was a year to take advantage of that with it being shortened.

1 person likes this.
  10. sabesque

sabesque Member

For what it's worth, I totally agree with Van Gundy. I watch basketball because I love the game. Tanking is not a part of the game. And I can't support my home team doing it.

11. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Well then...this sort of puts an asterik by our 34 wins and makes our accomplishments (or lack thereof) seem less than impressive if everybody else (bottom feeders) is trying to tank and we were the only ones trying to win some games. Should have just went with the flow of things instead of just running around in circles.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's right. We'll see what happens this offseason, maybe it'll pay off, finally.

13. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It cannot be Stephen A Smith because if it were Stephen A Smith IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN ALL CAPS!!!!

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

ASA-NINE, ASA-TEN, ASA-ELEVEN

16. Jimes

Jimes Member

Agree with JVG. Much respect for the Rockets.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We fortunately blew up this myth by pulling out late-season losses to New Orleans and Cleveland.

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

THIS IS A GOOD READ

19. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

CAN YOU MAKE IT ANY BIGGER? :rolleyes:

20. houseofglass21

He's absolutely right. The NBA needs to come up with a system where the worst team isn't rewarded with the best picks for being terrible. It's really easy to be terrible. In my opinion a team like the Rockets that actually tries to be good should have the highest picks.