1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy on SR610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Mar 3, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeff Van Gundy:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...tation_id=63&audio_link=true&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

Marc and John, how is it going?

Doing great, how are you guys?

Rockets state of the union - your thoughts?

I think what happened, when you have so much quality of depth, its hard to define roles. When you eliminate 2 guys --Battier who I love, and Brooks-- it gives more responsibility to the guys who are left. I think the Rockets have achieved to a very high level for their size and injuries. Anybody who is down on this year's Rockets isnt watching. You get good effort, Rick has them playing at a high level on O, I couldnt be more impressed.

Let me start right there. This is a team in transition. They're playing hard but it's a team...as if does Rick want to go through this again? Can you put yourself in his shoes and moving forward what it might mean for him?

Rick is a HOF coach. He certainly got many good years left but is on the back 9 of coaching career. Really it's an individual thing. Some coaches at this point in their career want a ready made team for a championship and others dont mind the building or rebuilding process. I would say this: if not him, I dont know if...he's such a good coach, I'm not sure you have a better option elsewhere. I think it's impairitive going forward that they try to re-sign him.

What do you think ultimately happens with Yao? Do you see a team taking a chance on him?

Yeah, tough question. Rockets in a tough position. No one could've been more loyal to a player than they've been to Yao and Yao back to them. He gave everything he could, unfortunately for him, his legs didnt cooperate. Do they go forward with him, if they do, he stays here I think. I also think if they move on, which you couldnt blame them for, he'll have options but money will be limited. He has to go to place where he doesnt have to be the main guy. For instance, I could see him in Orlando as a backup to Howard or w/ Howard for some minutes. A situation like that where he has less responsibility.

Question about Derrick Rose--what I've seen--it's remarkable. He is on the cusp of something good in my view. There is something there that people cant fathom.

Talking to my former assistant Thibodeau, the thing he goes back to is, the athleticism and skill level is obvious and intangibles get lost in the mix. He's hard working, and all about team. All teams try to pawn that off about their guys but as we know thats a lie many times. This guy is the real deal. Because of that, he can focus on what he needs to do. This guy, you could make the case, he is the MVP. To me, with injuries to Noah and Boozer, if not for Rose playing at a super high level, not only would they dropped in the standings, they wouldnt make the playoffs. He is that important to them.

What about the Heat and Mike Bibby. And a little on the Knicks.

Surprised the Heat went for Bibby. Like I said about the Rockets earlier, sometimes you can have too many people of the same talent level, Bibby is a good shooter but struggles on D. Not sure...Chalmers is better right now than he is. Arroyo who they released for him, is as every good as he is in their respective careers. Got Mike MIller and Eddie House too. It's not having as many pieces as you can gather, its pieces that fit together like the Celtics. Surprised by the Bibby pickup. ... The Knicks made a great trade. Everything they traded for him is replaceable in the next few years. Guys like Carmelo are difficult to next to impossible to acquire. The Rockets have been trying to acquire a guy like him, and they have pieces, draft picks, Daryl has done a great job positioning them but there are so few guys out there that they havent been able to acquire one. The Knicks did. I think if Anthony and Stoudemire commit to D and rebounding consistently, they'll be good. Will they commit to doing those hard things? I dont know. They were stuck being a .500 team with the roster they had. They took a gamble but I think it was the right gamble to get in the 50 win category.

Wanted to ask you about Pro-Vision. Can you share some thoughts on it?

It's March 31st from 3:30 to 5:30 at St. Thomas University. It's a fundraiser for Pro-Vision academy --a charter school for boys in the Sunny Side community. Its for the most underserved young men not only in that community, but all throughout Houston. Roynell Young, who was a DB with the Eagles, founded it and still runs it today. He is the best educator I've ever seen. The work he and his staff put in is incredible. There is always a gap though between money from the state and the money you need to educate these kids. This is what it's for. Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas are going to speak. People can get tickets --tables or individual tickets--by going to ProVisionschool.org. A link right there for his final 4 preview. Should be a heck of a day. Certainly benefits kids in need and a school that's worthy of this community's support.

How big of a temptation is it to get back into coaching? Latest thoughts on this?

It does. I would be kidding myself if I said I dont miss the competition or commodary that you can only get being part of a team. Marc you probably have this feeling for the Texans when you broadcast their games--you do feel apart of it because you're part of the one team. When you do it like I'm doing it, bouncing around and doing different games, you want to do a good job but it's not like you're invested in one group or team. I miss that incredibly yet I have 2 daughters--pray for me--one in HS and one in Kindergarden so...the one in HS, you have to be careful when you move and stuff like that so that's what has given me pause from jumping right back in. Hopefully I'll have the right timing and right place one day. I do miss it yet realize how lucky I am to have the job I have right now.

What if the right situation was a college opportunity. Would that appeal to you or no?

I went to see Rice vs Tulsa last night. I cannot imagine for the life of me recruiting. I just cant see it. I see what these guys go through and the scrutiny. There is abuse all over the place w/ those regulations. If you follow the rules, you are way behind unless you have an elite program. I dont think that would be for me. I love watching college basketball and the enthusiasm of the fans but coaching at the college level is a tough tough job. Recruiting is never ending.

I'll recruit for you Jeff.

I always said I know how to recruit --get a booster and get a lot of money.

Break down the postseason as of today. How will it fall?

I think it will come down in East to Celtics and Heat. Whoever has homecourt is the likely favorite. I see the Celtics being able to win in Miami in game 7 more than I can see Miami being able to win in Boston in a game 7. I'll take Celtics even though I've been the biggest Heat supporter. In the West, I love how SA has played. Dallas - people have slept on them. Downturn for them was Butler going out and when Dirk was out they were 2-7. Other than that, they've played outstanding basketball. In the end, the Lakers size up front, they have the best frontcourt in basketball, I think they'll get it together. It wont be easy. They might have to win on the road to win the West. I'm not sure the way Artest has played this year and the way the PGs played this year, that they'll be able to do it. But every time you doubt them, Kobe and that size come through. In the Finals, I'm taking the team from the East, whoever that is.

What's next on ABC?

I'm in SA Sunday for LA-SA. It has lost some luster with Parker being out, but still should be a good game. Today I'm going to that geek conference for all the number crunchers in Boston. That MIT. That's Daryl's conference --shouldnt have called him a geek. It's his conference. Got a lot of good people up there. A bunch of people talking about big minded type of topics. Not sure why I'm included in that.

I was gonna ask(laughing).

Daryl must of ??? dunderhead to be up there so they can make fun of someone.

Have fun up there. ... Thanks for joining us.

Anytime guys. Take care.

6 people like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Great recap. Thanks for posting. As usual, van Gundy is funny and honest about the Rockets. Interesting that he seemed to think Battier was more important than Brooks. No doubt he'd start Lowry over Brooks too.

I liked his realistic take, but the fact that he didn't suggest any ways for us to improve is telling. I think, like everybody else, he knows it's going to be very hard for us to land a star.

4. yo

yo Contributing Member

Who knew a coach would be so considerate for his family when it involved potential job opportunities?

Very very interesting statement.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

come back jvg. rick wants out. your family is already settled here. Morey's going to sell you on our 2 year plan for being back in contention.

6. gah

gah Member

Can Kam report how old JVG's daughter is? That would give us a timetable of when he is returning to coach. :grin:

7. Antec

Antec Member

I want JVG back. I always wish he never left.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Honestly, if Adleman goes, I want JVG back.

I think he got a raw deal.

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

She's 15-16 but that's irrelevant because they live here. Nothing would change for his family if he came back to coach us.

So basically he's saying he's not going to come back and coach us :(

10. Chrisjaka

Chrisjaka Member

Do you think that JVG would still use Rick's offense schemes or would he divert back?

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So he wants to coach but want to be careful about moving somewhere else while his daughter is in HS. I can see one job that satisfies his needs.

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Exactly, imagine he had the team Adelman later had.

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

JVG isn't one to undermine or talk badly about another coach when the coach still has the position. I remember he was pretty ticked about another coach doing that. Was it Phil Jackson? At least we know he'll never coach college ball. I couldn't see him doing it either there are way more knuckleheads there than in the NBA.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think JVG coming back would be very popular with the fans, I know I would like to see it happen. I think having JVG as coach may also help attract free agents. I get the feeling that Jeff is well liked by just about everyone.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

JVG has made the playoffs every year he's coached. He's an excellent coach, but i never liked how he ran our offense. I also didn't like the way he was pushed out of town. Does anyone have the inside info on how the JVG exit and Adelman coming in took place? JVG certainly deserved an extension. Can't remember if he hesitated and we went with Adelman, or if Adelman was the play all along.

16. Entropy

Entropy Member

"Battier-who I love, and Brooks..." Lol. JVG is not high on Brooks.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't think he mean it that way. He worked with Battier, but never worked with Brooks.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

I like jvg but with this team and his offensive strategies we would struggle to score 90+. Probably be in the same situation, stuck in basketball purgatory.

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

i don't think it's that way.

You make it sound like all the offensive would go out if van gundy would come back. Keep in mind the Pattoned JvG defense still stayed for 2 seasons after he left; regardless of yao...

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I can't believe people want JVG back.

Ugh, how quickly we forget.

1 person likes this.