1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy Dismissed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omair, May 18, 2007.

1. Panda

Panda Member

I think JVG has a manipulative personality. The Rockets are handling the job very well.

2. Barkley

Barkley Member

Well good point. LAst season we played only defense and we got a results. Hopefully Adelman will do us as a great 'D' and 'O' team

3. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

I have been waiting for this news after Rox lost game 7, but feel a little bit sorry for JVG when it really happened. He's a hard-working coach and best wishes for him. But it's time for a change coz he's really not suitable for this team.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Good time for me to give up on watching the Rockets. I probably spent 180 hours just watching them on TV alone this past season, which takes one full week out of the year. I do that every year. Have DirecTV just so I can have NBA League Pass. The Rockets are the only reason I even have TV.

I've been giving 2% of my whole life to simply watching Rockets games. I have zero feeling for Rick Adelman. I gave T-Mac more than he gave me. Bye guys.

5. Alirules

Alirules Member

I was the first one to report that JVG was hired 4 years ago in this forum. I was excited back then, because I knew he would bring defense to the Rockets. Which he did. But the offense became so bad, and the defense was good, but we never seemed to get that crucial stop ala against UTAH in Game 7. Its not as sad too see him go, but we do need to hire a championship level coach or we are just spinning in circles.

6. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

For me I think JVG was is a good coach in the regular season, but in the playoffs he is to predictable and doesn't change very much, if you watched the rockets jazz series he didn't change to much.
    I think he's one of the best defensive coaches in the nba, but his offense with the rockets was terrible. it was predictable and pretty much a highschool coach could come up with better offense.
    Player wise he holds grudges to much, I blame JVG probably 20-30% for it not working out with bonzi, i think when he started playing bonzi he didn't give him a long enough chance, and as soon as he screwed up back in the dog house, same with snyder, snyder was playing great before he broke his wrist but for some reason once he was healthy again jvg refused to play him. Vspan on the other hand didnt do much wrong his chances were limited and i think he took them later in the season, I think Vspan should of been given a hardcore chance just to see what he was made of, but we all know jvg isn't a coach for developing players.

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

Anyone notice that Van Gundy may have posted in this thread?

8. dwc13

dwc13 Member

Whatever alternate reality inducing substance you are on, seek professional help.

9. cavevato

cavevato Member

Translation:Beating crappy teams tricks people into thinking JVG is a good coach.But when he gets to the playoffs against better teams and coach, he is exposed as an overrated coach. :D

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Actually, beating crappy teams tricks fans into thinking the Rockets are an elite team. But when the playoffs comes and you face a more-talented and equally well-coached team, the Rockets got exposed as an overrated team.

The Rockets won 52 games, given the injuries due to Jeff masking a lot of imperfections.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So let me get this straight.

Losing in the playoffs is the PLAYERS fault.

But winning in the regular season is due to the coach.

Funny how that works isn't it.

DD

12. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

The media seems to make a big deal of Yao's complaint in the firing of JVG. I wonder if any reporter would ask JVG his take on that...

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Try emailing or posting on the blog of one of the chron sports writers.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

I doubt it's even true. Wasn't that complaint written from the same Chinese journalist who made up some bull during the season?

15. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

It does not matter if it is true or not now, does it? It is already out there.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think it is true, and no, the media would not have the sack to ask JVG about Yao's comment, especially now that JVG is done as the Rockets coach, what would be the point of asking that question?

DD

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

You forgot the contract negotiations with Olajuwan forcing the big man to go to Toronto.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Having a losing record against the winning teams and along with a winning record against the losing/average teams is due to a good coach and the lack of quality players.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I find both copable.

DD

20. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

I doubt Yao would have said that, but I agree 100% what that article said. It's sad that JVG never develops players. One example is Nachbar, who is now a very good player in NJ.

Overall, JVG is an averaged coath, difficult to deal with. I think Rox is better with other coatchs such as Aldeman. So I wish JVD good luck with his future job. He is a good guy anyway.