1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van GOONdy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by danielk, Nov 8, 2003.

1. danielk

danielk Member

We are averaging 20+ turnovers a game. That's more than JVG's frontal strips of hair on his head. I'm pretty surprised how some ppl in here say we are the best defensive team when we can't even defend and hold the ball well. Having 20 to's=lucky win:eek:

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Defense = Your ability to hold the other team, not the ball.

That's all I have to say about that.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

danielk, are you PMSing?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm surprised people say we are a poor fast breaking team when we hit most of our freethrows.

5. keep_rudy

keep_rudy Member

;) I like you sarcasm! Yes, turnover and good defense are different concepts, just like fast breaking vs. free throw.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

danielk, you're an idiot. And I say that with great reverence.

7. danielk

danielk Member

wow i'm highly offended..from a drummer? ok..how much u making? alot of noise but that's abt it!

8. spaldingtattos

Rockets do have to cut down on the number of TOs though. A good team usually avgs less than 12 TOs a game.

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

yeah, but i think we have good defense regardless of our turnovers because there isnt much hair on our team. we may have 20 tos a game but we also have a mascot. the cars monkey brings the basket to the alley-oop, thus logically the theological meaning of our high 3pt% is negligable. the difference between good defense and bad offense is that one is 'de' and one is 'of' and 'de' come earlier in the alphabet than 'of' so it is more important to win races.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Based on this comment, I'm guessing Charles Barkley is your idol...? ;) :p

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Good god do'nt bring up drummer, after being at the openening game hearing the weak drums in that new arena couldn't get anyone hyped up for the starting lineups. At least when they play the Power Dancers music it's loud and gets you pumped up hehe....go back to having music for starting lineups so you can feel it in your gut...instead of sounding like kids banging on drums....

Sorry got off topic....yes are turnovers are a problem, one good thing to come out of it is that we are winning...that means when we can control the turnovers then we will be even better.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

this is true, but, the thread could have started out like: great start for the rox. already in first place in the midwest conference. if we keep our fieldgoal percentages high and our opponents low, cut down on the turnovers and continue improving under Van Gundy's system we will be a handful come playoff time.:)

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Charles Barkley is everyone's idol.

14. Axeman

Axeman Member

The only thing I give a crap about at this point is our record: 3-1. Granted, we beat the Nuggets and Bulls, and the Nets minus Kenyon Martin, but hey, this is the best start we've had in a while. Glass half full, baby!

15. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

If threads were players, this would be Moochie Norris.

16. NickC19

NickC19 Member

haha

-Nick-

17. WhatWouldJeffDo

WhatWouldJeffDo New Member

The issue is not that people are unaware that the Rockets has 20+ turnovers a game. The issue is what can be done about it at this stage of the team's development.

Winning an NBA game is similar in some ways to winning a cooking competition. Every team has access to roughly equal talent (ingredients). It is up to the coach (chef) to find the right combination (recipe) to prevail before the final buzzer.

Meanwhile, rest assured that JVG and staff are working incessantly on improving turnovers as well as other critical, though not as glaring, weaknesses.

History is best indicator of future performance. Despite his eccentricities, JVG has a track record of helping players unite as a team and overachieve as a unit. Building a winning team takes longer than making instant pudding and mishaps and detours will be inevitable.

In the days and months to come, let's watch What Will Jeff Do. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised :)

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Now im hungry....

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

so far, only one team (Seattle) is averageing less than 12 TOs per game. The average is about 15, and the Rockets are next to last at 19.3

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Read below ;)