1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Posey already signed with Buffalo

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by randerson153, Feb 28, 2003.

1. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Friday, February 28

Bills waste no time in signing Posey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

The buzz-word in free agency this year is caution but, in building the Buffalo Bills roster, general manager Tom Donahoe has always taken the aggressive approach.

Posey
    That's why it is not surprising the Bills are the first franchise to lure away an unrestricted player from another team in free agency. Striking quickly in the wee hours of Friday morning, the Bills reached a four-year agreement with linebacker Jeff Posey, who played for the Houston Texans in 2002.

Financial details of the four-year contract, a deal confirmed by Donahoe, were not yet available.

"Our (coaches) liked him a lot," said Donahoe. "Over the last eight games of the season, he played really well, and we needed a guy who could line up over the tight end."

Buffalo officials phoned agent Tony Agnone at about 12:15 a.m, Donahoe said, and the agreement was reached in less than an hour.

Posey, 27, had been mostly an itinerant player before last season, playing with San Francisco 1998-2000 and splitting the 2001 season between the Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars. But he emerged with the Texans as a legitimate playmaker, a guy who fit well into the 3-4 scheme of head coach Dom Capers, and who seems to be in ascendancy.

In 16 games, including nine starts, the former Southern Mississippi star had 60 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 interception and 6 passes defensed for the Texans. A defensive end in college, Posey entered the NFL with the 49ers in 1998 as an undrafted college free agent.

Donahoe and coach Gregg Williams have made no secret of their desire to upgrade their linebackers corps and they won't stop with the acquisition of Posey. The team is scheduled to meet this weekend with Indianapolis Colts standout and unrestricted free agent Mike Peterson.

Peterson will visit with Detroit Lions officials on Friday.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I heard they want Peterson and Takeo to replace Peerless. Could be a vastly improved team.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

Thats bad news for the Texans. I was really hoping they would resign him.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Meh. They can have Posey. I want Rosevelt Colvin or Mike Peterson.

:confused:

How are they going to parlay one player into 2 players from different teams? Are you suggesting they'll trade Peerless for Spikes and then sign Peterson outright? Peterson and Spikes are LBs. Price is a WR.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The are the updates I'm getting out of Buffalo. I don't know any details though.

"Looks like the Bills will trade Peerless Price to Atlanta for at least the 23rd overall pick this year and probably one other pick. Buffalo is trying to sign Takeo Spikes then Mike Peterson. "

"The Bills will most likely let Peerless Price go because of how much he will ask for. If the Bills use the transition tag on him, he'll get paid about $4.5 million. Other teams can still try to sign him but the Bills would have 1st refusal. If the Bills use the franchise tag on him, he'll get just over $5 million for 1 year and will be upset so he'll walk the following year. Other teams can still sign him but it would cost that team a 1st and 2nd round pick. The Washington Redskins are interested, so the Bills may consider the franchise tag to see if Washington is willing to give up the picks. Buffalo does not have a 1st round pick this year (Bledsoe deal) so they do have a little money, but they are very interested in a linebacker with that money. Takeo Spikes of Cincinnati is at the top of their list, but he has been transitioned by the Bengals. If Buffalo gets Dick LeBeau, there's a solid chance Spikes may want to play for him again since they had a good relationship. Marvin Lewis is with Cincinnati now and that might make the Bengals more appealing to Spikes as well. Buffalo is also looking at Bears LB Roosevelt Colvin, Seattle's Brian Simmons and Washington's Shawn Barber.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

They already have London Fletcher, they just signed Posey and they want to throw money at at least 2 more LB's?!?! LB is one of the easiest positions to fill in the NFL, that's why every year there seems to be a ton of available talent on the free agent market. The Bills need to knock this crap off and fix their D-line.

And for God sakes if you just stole Posey out from under our nose at least leave Colvin for us!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

geez..this sucks...after we got one posey to play for the rockets and one to play for the texans, we were the only town in the world that could truthfully say we had a "pocketful of poseys." first enron, then andrea yates...now this. another opportunity lost.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ohmygosh Max, that was hilarious.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wish i could claim credit for it...the credit goes to charlie palillo.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Terry Glenn was traded to the CowGirls and Al Harris was traded also but I forgot to which team.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Trung Candidate to the Redskins.

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Posey gone dang the games i saw last year he played very well. Was one of my favorites on the texans D. This mean the texans are interested in suggs DE from ASU??

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

From ESPN Insider:

Ack! If Takeo Spikes can be had via trade, I think the Texans should enter that sweepstakes.

14. rocketsball2003

a lot of moves in the nfl... it almost takes the edge off of no foorball....

i would love to have takeo, but should we trade for pace or takeo... either trade would give up a 1st rnder... man i just dont know what we should do:confused:

15. Possum

Possum Member

Last I heard St Louis said they would not trade Pace.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Posey was ok, but not a dominant force. The Texans should easily fill this spot and keep an eye on Posey next year...

He won't be as dominant as he would have been here...