1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Green to Memphis for Tayshaun Prince

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tmactoyao, Jan 9, 2015.

1. what

what Member

I expect jeff green to come in and play serious d. I really don't think he is a terrible defender. And more importantly teams will have to play him straight up, unlike prince. It's a great deal for the grizz if it goes through.

2. alethios

alethios Member

My thoughts exactly, they traded some defense for some extra offense. Will he start for the Grizz or be part of the 2nd unit? I think he would be great to have coming off the bench when they need some scoring punch.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Makes sense, thanks

4. CrashTheBoards

Are you kidding me? Portland is about to land Wilson Chandler for pennies on the dollar. If that happens then they are the clear favorites to win it all this season. He is the prototypical 3 and D player and his 3 is MUCH more consistent than Batum's and his defense is much more consistent than Mathews.

5. CrashTheBoards

I think the Grizz best shot to win this year if they mimic the Spurs where there is no clear first option but the system. They have the personnel now to copy the Spurs motion offense to get open looks for everyone and take the first open look they get each time down the court. Their defense hasn't been as stellar as it was in the past, but there offense has been better.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Prince as he walked to the court: &quot;Am I supposed to warmup or not?&quot; Griz-Celtics deal could hinge on third team, per source</p>&mdash; Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/CAGrizBeat/status/553696637097218049">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Griz execs Chris Wallace and Ed Stefanski took Tayshaun Prince into a private room after Prince left the court. They made him aware of deal</p>&mdash; Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/CAGrizBeat/status/553701623193559040">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Prince was told he'd play tonight. Prince for Green deal hinges on 3rd team</p>&mdash; Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/CAGrizBeat/status/553701813182922752">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Jeff Green is about to show the world he's on Rudy Gay level!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? That is all it took? Ariza for him...hurry DM.....Ariza and the NO pick....go !

DD

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is stupid. Now everybody is copying Philly.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nooooo.
    Jeff Green brings all the inconsistency of Ariza with none of the defense.

11. what

what Member

The grizzlies certainly can win it all this year. Next year, it might get a little tougher since Lebron and Co will have 1 more year under their belt. The grizzlies really aren't afraid of any team in the west, even before the deal.

The rockets are at least 1 year away from really contending. You all need a better point guard and some more consistency and experince in tough 7 games series. You guys probably need a least another lethal wing scorer to really contend.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Philly is hoarding 2nd rounders. Boston is hoarding 1st.

I really think Boston is hoarding all these 1st to do a mega rebuild in the next couple of years. Like what they did when they got Garnett and Allen to pair with Pierce. Probably hoping Smart turns into a major player pretty soon.

13. CrashTheBoards

I do agree that the Grizz have the experience that the Rockets lack, and if they mimic the Spurs motion offense and swing the ball around, pick and roll, and post up then they will be much better (they do a lot of this already and it is the reason they've improved their offense along with running in transition). Lee was always inconsistent and he is still best suited off the bench. Allen really hurts their spacing so if Green commits on defense than they should be a notch above the Rockets. He has length is efficient and knocking down the three from more than one spot.

I guess they will start Allen when they need defense and Lee when they aren't going up against Harden, LeBron or Wade. They have options and can go small with Conley, Lee, Carter, Green, and Gasol.

I still think the Grizz aren't there yet. They have to start one of Courtney Lee (inconsistent) or Allen (can't shoot). These weakness will be taken advantage of and fully exploited in a seven game series.

Making that 1-2 punch thread made me realize it's all on Harden how far the Rockets go unless D-Mo turns out to be special. In the playoffs every game is tough and so many are close (remember last season). Teams will game plan 90% of the time focusing on Harden. We are lacking that second guy you can trust with the ball in crucial moments of the game. He doesn't necessarily have to be a wing player.

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Eh, the Rockets need more playmaking but I don't know why people keep talking about the need for a PG as an absolute. There have been plenty of championship teams with mediocre PG's.

Actually, better passing from the bigs would eliminate the need for another playmaker. They don't have to be Noah/Gasol but they can do a better job of noticing where each other are on the court. Our bigs have this odd 'you go or I go' mentality.

Yeah, but the problem is they don't have a Paul Pierce or Al Jefferson (who people always forget was the key to getting KG). KG doesn't waive his no trade clause without Pierce in Boston. Other than a guy like James Harden where people questioned if he was worth a max, most stars are traded to teams that already have stars or are in position to win big (also, as the time Lin was considered a player on the star trajectory).

#54 pmac, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  15. CrashTheBoards

fixed

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Could we be the third team? What if Prince gets traded and then cut? Would we be interested in picking him up?

17. what

what Member

Like you said, crash, the rockets biggest problem is that they have a broken offense. Teams that can shut down harden (they're are a few), or at least make it difficult for him are going to be able to beat the rockets because Dwight can't do it, especially in the halfcourt. The rockets are straddling a middle line, they aren't as good defensively to win with their defense alone (like the grizzlies or the bulls could) and they can't go out and outscore teams like the golden state warriors.

As far as the grizzlies are concerned, the grizzlies have been ready. They play a playoff style basketball offense (half court) and they can lock you down defensively. They have been waiting on Conley and Gasol to make that next step since rudy was traded and this is that year. The grizzlies are also one of the few teams that have 7 to 8 years of playing together (the spurs are one) so they trust each other and they have chemistry.

18. rocketseagles07

It's clutchfans. If the rockets would've got him everything would've been positive but since someone else did it's different. Jeff Green is a good pick up not because he's so good, because prince is terrible

19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

A big "A WHAT???" to this here, friendo.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

You don't give up a 1st and keep the guy off the floor.