1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jeff] Excellent blog on Washington Ave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

heyyyyy! :)

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There are hot women at the grocery store, the bookstore, the mall, the beach, live music venues, basketball games, on the street - you don't have to go to bars like the one's on Washington Avenue to find hot women, hence making it easier to define the bars on Washington Avenue as "douchey."

And douche just works on so many levels, there is no need for another word. :)

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i like labouche (thanks roula).

5. tomato

tomato Member

Were the people who owned Walter's also the owners of Mary Jane's? I thought I heard that before? I found the Walter's staff and environment to be a hell of a lot friendlier if that's true, I hope they retain that

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Pam did own both. The problem in both places, apparently, was that she didn't own the property, just leased them and the lease cost continued to increase. She swore up and down she'd never leave Walter's, but it just got too expensive.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

True, but Toby Blunt owned Mary Jane's first for several years. When Pam bought it she tried to rename it Phat Cats (or something like that) but people kept calling it Mary Jane's and I guess she eventually gave up.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Ha...I remember going to the Vatican to watch NIN. It was pretty fun being in the mosh pit. I got a pretty awesome story about that night.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%. It's become a generic term for any guy with style and confidence. Granted, there is a place for it- popped collars and driving a hummer, but it's over-used at this point.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Style and confidence eh?

[​IMG]

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Just caught up with this thread.

Sad.

Back in the early 80s I saw Ella Fitzgerald at Rockerfellers. What a great venue. Got there late (sailing on the gulf) so we lost our table but did sit at the bar. Hell, that turned into a better place to watch her.

Austin: I was in the Black Cat when they were filming DOA (w/Dennis Quaid & Meg Ryan). The camera spanned me but I guess it was left on the editors floor in the cutting room. :(

But very sorry to hear about Rockerfellers.

And to stay on topic: [ready for a trite cliché?] The only constant in life is...uh...change.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

No, it still pretty much means 'douchebag.'

13. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Miss the hell out of MJs. I saw a lot of good shows there.

The Microphones, Blonde Redhead, Of Montreal, Oxes, etc.

I miss the Proletariat too. Crud.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Any guy with style and confidence? Really? It's a fine line between having "confidence" and being nuisance to the general public. I thought a d-bag was merely someone who preens like a prom queen and treats people like crap.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The sad thing is that the great music venues could have thrived on Washington alongside the many restaurants that are opening there now.

I, however, still miss the Pig Stand.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The biggest problem for most of the music venues on Washington - and I was talking about this with Chris Gray from the Press today who is doing a story on it - was that most of them were not around at the same time.

Rockefeller's and Hey Hey were open at the same time, but Hey Hey closed before Bon Ton and Satellite opened. Walter's didn't open until after Satellite, Rockefeller's and the Vatican closed. Rhythm Room was the same way.

Now, if Rhythm Room, Hey Hey, Satellite, Rockefeller's, Cosmos, Walter's, Silky's, Mary Jane's, Washington Avenue Show Bar and the Vatican were all open at once, THEN you'd have something.

17. Fatty FatBastard

Agreed, and that is something Houston has never had. There was a reason Washington was a truly crappy street until recently.

Instead of worrying about "douchebags" (honestly, is Austin's 6th street any different?) The owners of live band venues should try to find a good lease on the street. For the next 10 years or more, this is what looks like what is going on, although the proximity of HPD could diffuse that.

The problem lies within getting Houston a "scene" where people want to go to listen to new music. I've never seen that being a popular destination in this city.

18. Batman Jones

That might be because you've been chasing the douchebag scene from Richmond to Shepherd Square to Midtown.

The Houston Press has a good definition of "douchebag" today, by the way.

The definition is not "one who goes where the hot girls are."

douche (n): an individual who has an over inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intelligence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no idea of how moronic he appears.

Hmm...

19. Fatty FatBastard

Christ, dude.

What do you call someone who seemingly only gets satisfaction treating people who don't agree with them condescendingly?

I'd say that's much more of a douche in my book.

Get over yourself, already.

20. Batman Jones

"Batman Jones." Duh.