1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeddah, KSA & Cairo, Egypt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Feb 16, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

Tell me about 'em: cool stuff, places to not miss, food, etc....

2. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Egypt:

Sharm El Shekh, Alexandria, downtown Cairo, Cairo Museum, pyramids, boat ride on the Nile, camel riding, Egyptian hookah

Food: Grape leaves, Kabobs, Kofta, Foull, Tamaya (Veggie Sandwich), Shawarma, any and all pastries, sugar cane juice

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Haven't been to Jeddah in a while. As for Cairo, there is tons of stuff to do: cruise on the Nile, the new Al-Azhar Park (amazing view from all corners, nice place to hang out), City Stars complex (2nd largest in the world, largest in the ME/EU), Giza (Pyramids, Pharaohnic Village), and other stuff I am forgetting.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Jeddah - Corniche... nice places to eat dinner on a boat...
    If your in the mood for fast food, stop by and try Al Baik.

I think you can get Ostrich cheese steaks (Philly cheese steak with ostrich) in some places in Jeddah...

They have this really huge fountain. I think the worlds tallest. Nice place to go chill with family. [​IMG]

5. Buck Turgidson

Thanks, all. If you think of anything else, post it.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Eat some shwarmas (sp?) hmmm....and Labneh cheese bread.

I miss that stuff.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

There is good shawarma in Houston. It's not 'legendary', but good enough.

8. Uprising

Where?! I'm dieing for a good one.

9. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

I go to this place called Phoenicia Deli.. its pretty good.. but it can't match anything ive had in saudi arabia

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Try heading up to the mountains in the Asir region -> not too far south of Jeddah. Do some hiking, and go see the monkeys which are indigenous to the area. Also, try snorkeling in coral reef and check out the barracuda. While you're at it, go for a drive up the coast.

As far as food goes, hit up one of the broasted chicken stands -> they're amazing. Ditto the shwarama stands. They are the real deal.

11. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Droubi's has ok shawarma. Their's a place I went to called Shawarma King on Richmond that is pretty good. From what I hear though, Fadi's on Westheimer? is as good as it gets in Houston.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Fadi's is pretty solid.

A few years ago, I used to love the shwarmas at Ranosh. They had pretty solid hookah as well, but I have no idea if they are still good. It's been a while.

13. Uprising

There was a pretty good hooka "bar" in College Station a year or so ago, but they moved it to the bar scene at North Gate. I can't stand it now. There is a dance floor on the first floor and it's on the second floor. Loud BASS from the sub woofer....and the waitress are all dressed like sluts now.

It was nice and laid back in it's old location, guess he wasn't making enough money.

I'm going to try out Fadi's next time I'm in Houston.

14. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I was there back in October visiting a friend from A&M. It was a Saturday night and the entire area was packed. I felt it was kind of a rip off considering there's a $10 charge to get in, then having to pay for the hookah. We didn't know the waitress' always dressed like that, we just thought it was a costume party.. :eek: There was also another kind of dance club/bar on the opposite side of the street that was very entertaining. It seemed like the area was equivalent to that of 6th street in Austin.

Needless to say, College Station is a very nice town, and the women... :cool:

15. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

Try busy boy !

5722 Hillcroft Avenue, Houston, TX 77036-2216

They have a delecious lamb stake sandwich too !

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Adams off of westheimer has a decent shawarma. Once youve eaten a shawarma in Saudi, nothing compares over here.

Its about the bread to meat to sauce ratio...

Also, Houes of kabob off of westheimer has an above average shawarma.

Fadis is definitely overrated.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Just make sure you don't get a shawarma in a sambouli (hot dog bun). Its disgusting, and I don't know why they even sell that in Jeddah and surrouding cities... Stick to the pita.

Try Camel Kabsah if you are in the mood for being adventurous.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A lot of people don't realize that is actually oil spraying up in the air - a real environmental mess.