1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JB Bickerstaff's strong words after the Pelicans game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 26, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

And then they can add "Fired 2 coaches within one season/COACH KILLER" to their resume. I'm sure they'd be proud of that!

Ain't gonna be J.B. who's getting the heat.

"Oh, those so called superstars, the supposed leaders, oh, they got another coach fired?"

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Harden running down the shot clock and chucking a step back 3 five times in a row for the last 3 minutes of the game is why we lost. We shut them down on D but didn't score because Harden was trying to reenact the Spurs game by looking for hero 3's. If we just would have played to score we would have won, I didn't know if that was the coaches fault or Hardens fault. But with JB's words, it seems clear those plays where Hardens choice.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JB has no choice, he has one shot at this, and if he has to get tough, then he has to get tough.....

Good for him....

DD

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What's he got to lose? If the team fails, he's out of a job and it may be a while(or never) before he gets another shot at a head coaching gig.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How do you run another play, if players arent willing to run it? JB isnt on the court.

He did say he's going to do a better job of playing the other guys

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I agree tho...play the players that make WINNING the priority

7. Raven

Raven Member

Rockets did the same thing with Francis. Anoint him the savior, let him run the offense (aka hero ball) without having to earn any of it. What has Harden had to earn? Nothing.

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen 5m5 minutes ago
    To those that said Bickerstaff such a good guy, such a young guy, could not call out players, think again. Has before, but we got a sample.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They were contested threes, the same shots. The one against Timmy was a step back contested three...these are Harden shots. Sometimes he drains them in the clutch.

I'm just saying the type of shots Harden took are similar.

I mean you'd like him to drive down by two and get the easy bucket but can you blame him for not? They don't call ____ in the last 2 mins, even in the Spurs game he drove was hacked pretty obviously and nothing gets called.

Even so, if JBB was serious about this he should have said it last night too. "We got lucky with some of those shots at the end there, those are bad shots."

I mean that's Harden shot all the same. So you have to be careful with telling him not to do it. I mean great players take and make bad shots, that's what makes them great players.

I feel like we didn't even lose with the Harden ISO just that we went to it far too often for way too long. Felt like we were down 2 for like 3 or 4 straight possessions.

10. hakeemthagreat

Um because he's the coach. We ran Harden iso's like 5 plays in a row unsuccessfully. Call a timeout, grab the clipboard & draw up something else. If guys don't wanna run it take their azzes out. Simple

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You guys get it. JB never should have accepted the promotion if he's just gonna play it safe in an attempt to keep his job.

BTW, I question his rotations also. But one thing we know for sure: A McHale-style enabler is NOT what the Rockets need in a coach.

1 person likes this.
  12. ibm

ibm Member

true.

and this causes huge problems. sense of entitlement, inflated ego,,, leading to difficulties of building team chemistry, etc.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

well...its very clear to me...Kevin Mchale was the nice guy that took the fall for these selfish jerks...

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem is Harden rather play his way than the coaches way and JB isnt strong enough to get Harden to buyin. Not sure many coaches are.

15. MystikArkitect

Probably. They're probably there right now not giving af while we stress about this. Meanwhile Pop starves his players for losing by 4 and we all shoulder-shrug.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

"Screen your own man instead of the guy defending"

Lmao I know exactly what he's talking about. One of the last offensive possessions...with like 10 seconds on the shot-clock Ty Lawson calls a play and Dwight jogged over set a awful screen for him, got in his way as the clock winds down... Ty forced the ball over to Harden, who just took an awful look from 3...

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're assuming they "ran" isos as if they were planned..

If this is about Harden, it's not simple at all. Bench him and you embarrass him...could get ugly, as him asking 4 trade..you know that wont happen. They'd fire JB to keep JH here.

18. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of feel bad for JB. I don't think he's going to materialize into a consistent head coach in this league but he was thrown into a tough situation with a couple of divas who are the best players on the team. The front office has wasted the past several years undervaluing the head coaching position and these are the results. Diva players like Howard and Harden need stronger coaches. Point blank. If not, their attitude can be allowed to bring down the rest of the team. I'm not convinced JB can back up his tough words from tonight. We'll see.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Sounds like he'll be looking for a job ... Only the Larry Browns of the world can get away with calling out star players..Either they respond positively and play hard for him or ignore him ,getting him fired.. I'd bet on the latter

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Full comments made by interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff after the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> lost to the Pelicans. <a href="https://t.co/j8GOvPYKPi">pic.twitter.com/j8GOvPYKPi</a></p>&mdash; Daniel Gotera (@DTGoteraKHOU) <a href="https://twitter.com/DTGoteraKHOU/status/680950281409052672">December 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thing about Bickerstaff, he believes in this team. They know it. He can get the dials on the Pop-o-meter spinning and they will listen.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/680959092387672064">December 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>