1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JB Bickerstaff's strong words after the Pelicans game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 26, 2015.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

So who will call him out on his ****ty coaching? It's a two way street there JB.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How do we know he froze up? There can be a benefit to letting the team run with it... I've definitely seen situations where a time out is called, when the other team was unprepared to defend...but your priorities have to be right..could be why it didn't work out.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

In pretty sure that's his point..can't coach a team to win, if players only want to act selfishly

4. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

This game is not the time for this comment. JB is responsible for this loss 100%

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A lot of very successful NBA coaches have done this. Pop, PJ, Riles, Carlisle to name a few.

It's worth the risk and I appreciate JB walking the plank by doing it. Harden MUST change or the Rockets will be nothing but frustration this year. It made no sense to even have Thorton and Lawson on the court if all they were going to do is stand aside and watch Harden fail several consecutive possessions.

The only way the Rockets will win a championship with Harden is having a coach that is in charge. JB's words bring that closer to happening, whether it's with himself or the next coach.

6. ibm

ibm Member

we're talking about the last inbound play. in both games vs orlando and new orleans, it's a no-brainer. a last second inbound play is broken, you've got timeouts left, call another one. a high-schooler would've done that.

7. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I would have strong words if I was a player about his coaching

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

someone is right though.

If Harden drains those threes like he did last night no one is complaining and everyone is talking about another great exhibition of clutch shooting. We all know that right?

Harden took the same shots last night and it helped us win the game?

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

But some of this **** is on the players - the leaders and vets

Ariza is supposed to be a vet. He knows better to call a timeout than to give it to freaking Howard at the 3 point line

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey wait a minute, when did the Rockets get into New Orleans.....last night?

Or today, I wonder if some of the players hit up Bourbon street late last night.

DD

11. ibm

ibm Member

those shots werent exactly the same. if there're replays to watch, i think they'll prove me right.

tbh, i think harden's iso plays tonight were mainly becoz of his foul trouble in the 1st half. so when coming back in the 2nd half, he felt like he needed to get his #'s. i could be completely wrong, but that's how i felt while watching the game.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's not all on JB..Trevor isnt a rookie.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Calling players out might work when you are a good coach, but when you are pretty awful at being a coach, it is a pretty poor idea.

14. ibm

ibm Member

yeah, true.

my favorite rocket on this team, ariza, may not be as bright as i thought. sad... :(

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, but he has proven over his entire career to not be the best and brightest on the BBall IQ side of the equation.

DD

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Difference in opponent..shouldn't be squeaking by vs NO...should have had bigger lead

17. ibm

ibm Member

that's on ariza, yes. but how's that not also on jbb?

twice in a row (and costing the team 2 games) to me is a fireable cause for a head coach.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know what the problem is. I can see that they are playing poorly. Especially against weak teams. But this is almost the same team that won 56 games last year with tons of injuries. Something just doesn't add up.

I do know this though. Giving a full honest effort on defense improves not only the defense, but also the offense. And playing good team defense requires every player to do their part. One weak link brings the whole thing tumbling down.

And what ever happened to wanting to constantly push the ball up court as quickly as possible. That's all we heard about a couple of years ago. Get out and run.

19. hakeemthagreat

I agree & disagree

If Harden's taking too many iso's then RUN ANOTHER PLAY! Stop running that trash and switch it up. Figure out a set rotation and stick with it. I respect JB for calling guys out but your allowing that selfishness to exist if your not playing guys who are playing best (cough, cough Thornton)

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Im glad someone has the stones to call out Harden...And yes this is a shot at Harden...As the leader of the team, when his bench got him a lead of 10 entering the 4th...I have a feeling that the team wasnt executing the offense when Harden was on the floor. It was very evident to me, and some ill advised late shot clock possession were a result of Harden's selfishness and holding the ball - "being the hero" The message is clear and concise...as he is calling on Harden and Howard to lead by playing unselfishly every time their on the court...and doing so the right way.

I often wonder why the league hates the way Harden plays and enamors Curry. The difference is clear...Curry's teammates look to make sure that Curry gets open and wide shots early and often. Harden well...his teammates just give him the ball at the top of the arc...and just stand around.

JBB is in a bind..he cant name Harden as the issue, bc he is supposed to be the team's best player. But he is asking him to look past his personal glory and allow him to be coached. It really seems to me that is the crux of JBB's postgame. Wake the f___ up Harden and Howard... and be leaders on the court with team play.