1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz vs Real Madrid (Sergio Llull)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElPigto, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ClutchCityReturns

I was at work last night so couldn't post about this as I watched.

I thought he looked really, really good on the offensive end aside from the poor shooting. He's extremely active, very quick, and looks like a very deft passer. On defense he had some trouble. Not so much with staying in front of his man, but with bodying them up to keep them out of the paint. With time I think he could be a decent defender.

I had kind of written this kid off, but after watching him play, I would like to actually bring him over at some point. Unless what I saw last night was a fluke, he's got the offensive talent to play in the NBA.

He strikes me as a smaller, quicker, less flashy Ricky Rubio...with a better jumper.

Just ignore the music :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hQubj6TAIU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6hQubj6TAIU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#21 ClutchCityReturns, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. ClutchCityReturns

Damn...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubLVT44lqXI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubLVT44lqXI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmZ6dRFo08M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YmZ6dRFo08M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. FFz

FFz Member

highlites make him look pretty good. Nice jumpshot and also touch around the rim.

In Morey we trust!

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I watched the game. Spanoulis is 50 times better than Lull is.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I frankly can't get excited about this kid. We won't get him because he chose not to try and make our squad but stay in Europe. So good game or not, we probably won't ever see him in a Rockets uniform.

6. saleem

saleem Member

Not necessarily,DM said they expect him to get experience in Europe. He might end up in a Rockets uniform one day. Most Euro players need to get better before they can come to the NBA.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Not sure how many years the Rockets will go with Lowery, Brooks combo at point guard but as long as they do it will be hard to justify bringing over some one like Llull....who would likely not crack the rotation.

8. mau

mau Member

I think the closest I would say in english would be as follows: Lewl, with the E in lew sounding like in new

hope that is somehow understandable

9. durvasa

durvasa Member

If he's got NBA talent, I don't see how it wouldn't be better for him to gain in experience in the NBA. Otherwise, he'll have to unlearn a lot of the habits he picks up in Europe that don't translate well to this league.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

But as at right now we have absolutely no playtime for him...so he wouldn't even have the chance to gain any experience here...and I'm sure playing against the likes of Juan Carlos Navarro and other nba-calibre players is better than grinding it out in the rio grande valley

Scola and Navarro turned out to be great NBA players despite spending a lengthy amount of time in Europe...so give him a couple more years in Spain and he'll make way more of an impact when he comes over than if he was to come here now

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Morey also expresses that Sergio could be an important trade asset.

Brooks and Lowry are pretty damn young.

I highly doubt Sergio will be in a Rockets uniform. In some other NBA uniform? Yea, I expect him to be in the NBA one day.

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

How do you define great?

Scola hasn't reached the category of great, in my opinion, but I suppose that depends upon your definition of great.

Navarro's numbers in his one season were nearly identical to Brooks' last season. Do you think Brooks was great during the 08-09 regular season?

13. PTH

PTH Member

Man those Europeans play hard. This guy looks pretty good... but who knows, he could be the next V-Span.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Until proven otherwise, every PG from Europe is the next V-Span. Once they stay more than in year in the NBA, the comparison is no more. :D

LLULL Crank that soulja boy!

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

well, I perceive "great" for european players, who aren't sure-fire hot prospects (like Dirk or Bargnani), to be "starter-level nba player"...in the mold of Scola (and probably Navarro if he had stayed for a few more years)...The Manus and Turkoglus have turned out to be to be "excellent" (more than great) players...there are plenty of Euros who gets drafted and don't work out(Ukic/Hervelle/Spanoulis etc too many 2 list).

I guess its all a matter of opinion on exactly how good a player is...but Scola and an experienced Navarro would've have been starters for a lot of teams in this league and thats way above the originial expectations when they were first drafted...so in that sense they turned out "great"...I'm sure many people would say Brooks had a great season last season.

16. worzel gummidge

Ukic is still in the NBA and he single-handedly owned the Spurs in a game last season.

17. leebigez

leebigez Member

If Lull can play and i know he can play, it gives the rox next yr to trade or not tender lowry. Lowry isnt going to stay a backup especially if they extend Brooks. He's too young and good enough to play more. Lull can be a guy that can back brooks up on a rookie contract as brooks gets older. I think some team next yr might offer lowry 4m next year and that might be it as a rocket.

18. meh

meh Member

If Llul blows up in in Europe, I highly doubt the likes of Lowry or Brooks is going to keep him from coming. It's not as if we have a CP3 or Deron to lock up our PG position for the next decade.

If Adelman/Morey decides Llul is capable of becoming a starting NBA PG, they'll definitely make room for him.

19. Seven

Seven Member

Toronto lost in the video CCR posted lol.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We are really getting squeezed by the cap next year, aren't we. It's very frustrating. Look at all the years of having over the hill points (if they ever made it up the hill in the first place), a decent backup in Rafer who was starting and driving us crazy, and guys like Moochie (argh!). Same with the 4 spot. Now we have two solid point guards, young, who are very likely to improve, the best starting power forward we've had in many years, with a solid young backup who is very likely to improve, and all I hear is how we can't afford to resign them. Man, that is very frustrating to think about. It's not like those 4 guys are going to be expensive to extend, either. Guess it's all relative.

I'm not eager to let any of them go and hope we don't have to.