1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz tracking: avoid them at all cost!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waihh, Mar 25, 2009.

1. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

The Jazz has the numbers of this Rockets team. If in the past playoffs the rockets had their chance to beat Jazz, now they do not any more.

1. Jazz has the best on the ball defense. They surround the player who has the ball and block the path of passing. Rick Adelman's offense (read and react) when executed in slow motion (Artest and Yao are among the slowest at their own positions), is Jazz' meat.

2. TMac's absence. You can say all the bad things about him, but his offense was the key of the wins in past playoffs against Jazz.

3. Rafer Alston's gone. High assist/turn over ratio. His experience and ball handling would prevent the guards to fall into the Jazz defense traps. How many of those have you seen tonight?

The only leverage that the Rockets did not have in the past playoffs is Ron Artest. He needs to pick up his energy level and have better performance on both ends of the court. Outplayed tonight by Brewer.

Conclusion: avoid Jazz at all cost. I will start to monitor the standing of Jazz. The bad news is, if playoff had started yesterday, its Rockets vs. Jazz; and with this loss, if playoff started today, its still Rockets vs. Jazz. I'd rather the Rockets loss home court than play the Jazz.

Sounds too pessimistic, but I don't see the Rockets beat Jazz with everyone healthy. I know JVG would hate the idea of selecting opponent, and I was a supporter of his mentality at the time. So I am a little confused. Should the Rockets try to avoid Jazz, or just play for the best standing and not worry about matchups?

Update 03/25: If playoffs started today, Jazz would play Denver while Rockets would play NOH. They would not meet until conference finals if both would make it. I hope this would last to the end of the regular season.

#1 waihh, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

The Jazz is a nightmare match up for the Rockets. Only those with half a brain would want us to play against them in the first round.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Technically, it's not in our control, especially if we keep winning. Their schedule is hard, but I don't think they'll drop all of those games, they'll have to win some of them. I just think that as long as we keep winning, we shouldn't have a problem in matching up with them. The Mavs, Blazers are only 1 loss behind all of us (Jazz, Rockets, Nuggets) and two behind the Hornets. I think we can't control what the Jazz do, we just need to keep winning.

4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Utah Jazz = 90's Seattle Super Sonics.

We have a chance to advance if we don't face the Jazz in the playoffs.

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

This team is beatable. They need to play a JVG style type of game with this team against teh Jazz. RA style isn't successful against the Jazz.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

first off the jazz aren't really a great team. they just look that way against us because of the mismatches, meaning they'll most likely drop a lot of games they have left on the road, while we'll continue winning after tonight. i've got a bad feelign that we're going to meet in the playoffs yet again......

7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

this thread has the heart of a champion written all over it

8. acjeitherocket

if we face them in the 1st round.....we're doomed...

9. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Jazz always look like world beaters at their place.

We shot horrible turn the ball over miss tons of rebound, but still was a close game.

They look better that they actually are at home.

10. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

Honestly if we had a healthy T-mac to go along with Artest and Yao, I think we would have matched up better with them...I remember Brewer held McGrady in check in the playoffs, and he also held Artest in check tonight, if we had both, it obviously would have created matchup problems.
    But I think you are absolutely right...the third time will NOT be the charm, their front court has been killing us with their jumpers and Yao has never matched up well with them. If it was the last day of games and if we had to lose in Dallas to avoid playing the Jazz, I definately would....

11. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Fixed

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I think we totally need a thread like this for the Lakers. I mean, we haven't beaten the Lakers at all this season, right? That means they're TOTALLY INVINCIBLE and we'll never ever win against them either, eh?
    Grow up, you whiners. The Jazz are a good team, and beating them will be hard. But quit acting like they're this uberpowerful team that you whiny quitters are doing.

13. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

denver portland and hornets just don't post the same level of threat to this team than the jazz. Not to say the Jazz is just better than those teams but they do match up so well with rox

14. ibm

ibm Member

i hate all the pessimistic tone here after a road loss to utah. hate it!

sure, they aren't our favorable match-up, but "at all cost"? then why contend every year? as long as sloan's jazz team is around, we might as well hold the white flag and give it up since, according to some fans here, we can never win!

way to go some clutchfans. :rolleyes:

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O9yezegWdQ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O9yezegWdQ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOyP_8s_sk0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOyP_8s_sk0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

my vote... AVOID

its the smart thing to do. don't let foolish pride lead us to play a team we match up poorly against

17. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

I agree that some in this league would not even consider selecting opponents, but for those who do they would try to avoid the Lakers in the first round. I do not understand what you were trying to convey. I guess most of us would agree not playing Jazz, or Lakers in the first round.

18. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

Not just us, you think the spurs or any other 4 seed would want to face jazz in the 1st round?

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

why contend every year ??? utah has our number, other teams do not.

you think the mavs would have lost in the first round a couple years ago if they didn't play the team they matched up the worst with ? hell no!

remember when the sonics were upset by the nuggets ? that helped the rockets finally be able to break through because we couldn't beat the sonics!

our best shot at any kind of playoff success is avoiding utah. i hate utah just as much as the next rocket fan, but its obvious to me the odds of us beating them are pretty slim compared to other teams, especially in the first round. we have a better chance in a later round after we get the 1st round monkey off of our backs.

20. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

Yao is ignored
    Ron shows his no-brain ,acting like he is the NO.1
    AB can 'secretly 'shot some and no good pass
    Von is a fly and no discipline

Only our scola and Hayes steady

The biggest point is our coach ,helpless